iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

Looking good! That's a big load on that Green KW! Wish I had some logging pics to post I got mudded out doing an inframe on a dt530 right now once that's done I have to put injector cups in a cat hopefully by the time those are done I can get back in the woods
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

nativewolf

So this medium sized cherry was leaning over the road we need to use on an upcoming harvest, we dropped it, the bottom was rotted and out scurried a little flying squirrel and 3 kits.  Hated to mess up her nest.  Anyway, I thought maybe there was a good firewood log if the heart rot ended so I bucked it about 12 feet up and this is the first cut on that log, about 12' log and only 12" at the small end but what growth rings.   I have never seen such small sap rings on a tree before, that sap ring is literally 1/8".  If only the walnut look like that I'll have a wonderful month of cutting.  I had hoped we'd cut today but the storms that blew through made it too muddy, 3" here overnight.  High winds til Friday so it looks like we cut on Friday instead.  
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Thats a nice sound end.  Between ants, rot or shake, i rarely get one that pretty.
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

You guys would cry but our cherry just gets chipped or thrown into the rows for mat to run on not much use for it out here.

Skeans1

Tired of little dog hair patches be glad to be back in good size thinning.

coxy

Quote from: nativewolf on April 16, 2018, 10:34:42 PM

So this medium sized cherry was leaning over the road we need to use on an upcoming harvest, we dropped it, the bottom was rotted and out scurried a little flying squirrel and 3 kits.  Hated to mess up her nest.  Anyway, I thought maybe there was a good firewood log if the heart rot ended so I bucked it about 12 feet up and this is the first cut on that log, about 12' log and only 12" at the small end but what growth rings.   I have never seen such small sap rings on a tree before, that sap ring is literally 1/8".  If only the walnut look like that I'll have a wonderful month of cutting.  I had hoped we'd cut today but the storms that blew through made it too muddy, 3" here overnight.  High winds til Friday so it looks like we cut on Friday instead.  
i was thinking the same thing there isn't much white wood most of our cherry around here except for in a swamp has about 2 or more inches of sap/white wood on them 

BargeMonkey

I ride past 250mbdft of cherry on the state land that would make a man cry, it will blow over / rot before they cut it. I just don't feel like wearing an ankle bracelet but the thought has crossed my mind 🤣 

nativewolf

man you are in NY, there is someone in Albany waiting on a steak in exchange for a cutting permit.  Ok, not a steak...but a Mercedes.  I decent mercedes for his/her daughter/son would probably get you a special harvest permit.  
Liking Walnut

petefrom bearswamp

Not if it is in the Forest Preserve. What they call forever wild, we call forever rotting.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Banjo picker

I have spent the last 3 days in New Jersey and New York and I can hardly believe the amount of wood I have seen rotting in the woods. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

mike_belben

I lived in springfield mass for a decade.  Across the street was a city owned swamp filled with 30+ inch veneer oaks dropping limbs from old age.  Most of the suburban woods up there were the same.   I hardly knew what a sawlog was. 
Praise The Lord

coxy

Mike ill be going through there on Saturday. On my way back from the open house

mike_belben

Through spfld?  What open house we talking about?
Praise The Lord

Sheepkeeper

Dropped this white oak yesterday. I haven't put a tape measure on it yet but that is my MS390 with a 20 inch bar for scale. This is a dead (last year) tree in one of our cattle pastures that will be going into 2 x 8's for a corral rebuild on one of the pastures. I will take off a couple of pieces of firewood from the butt to get rid of the hollow core. There is one more to come down tomorrow. Trouble is that this pasture has a lot of boggy ground that has water standing so getting the logs out is going to be a problem. May have to sneak them out through the neighbour's field. Need to do some overdue tile maintenance to get rid of the water.
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

nativewolf

Nice oak Sheepkeeper.  If I were you I'd leave the but on and just cut boards around the rotten pith.  You've got room for several 2 x 8s in that butt log.  That will let you box out the pith and you can use that for firewood instead. Heck of a large tree and perfect for what you were describing.  

That limbs would be quite a bit of wood I'd think.  
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

If not for the rot hole youd have need a longer bar!
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Quote from: mike_belben on April 19, 2018, 10:45:26 PM
If not for the rot hole youd have need a longer bar!
Nah you just cut a window Mike makes life interesting.

mike_belben

Cmon i fell timber with a tophandle in my flippy floppies.  How much more interesting do i need to be?
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Lay inside one well cutting it that'll make you move fast the first little pop you hear.

mike_belben

Ha.. I'll farm that one out to a pill head neighbor.  
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

I wouldn't want to be the poor guy turning it on the mill 🤣 

teakwood

I would recommend exactly the same as nativewolf. it's a shame to waste perfectly good lumber just because the but has a small hole. 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Sheepkeeper

Hydraulics, Barge, hydraulics. It's going to be either 14 or 16 feet long. Might need to use two tractors to load it on the wagon.
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

mike_belben

Does the wagon have a rub rail that can hook a chain?
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!