iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

UPDATE..Stihl 020avp fires on choke but won't continue to idle?

Started by Raceline08, October 06, 2013, 10:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raceline08

Hi everyone, ya another new guy post.

Got this saw from a buddy, it's an older 1114 series 020avp non electronic. My questions are what adjustments can I do to the carb to get it back to standards? Do I adjust the LA screw etc? I'm no idiot and have worked on a few saws in the past that I've have now sold. The saw wants to run but doesn't , I did get it to run for 3-5 min on half choke and a little squease on the throttle, but if I pressed the throttle more it would quit everytime.

I don't wish to take it to my local dealer because I know it's just a minor adjustment ( I hope )
Bosch plug , fuel filter has been changed ( NOS ) and screen air filter cleaned.

I'm not really looking to tear this thing apart cause its a pain(edit by admin)
If nessary I will have too. ;D

Any help or advise is very appreciated ,

Thanks,

Brett
Stihl 020AVP, 025, MS290, 031AV, 028AV Super

John Mc

Brett -

Is your fuel line in good shape?  I'm no chainsaw mechanic, but a friend with a Husky 51 just had the exact same symptoms, and it turned out to be a deteriorated fuel line (the lines in some of these older saws just won't stand up to the ethanol in today's gas).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Raceline08

Thank you , I'll look into that. I'm not sure if there is holes in the fuel line but it makes sence, when I changed the fuel filter the line looked ok but ya never know with a saw from the 70's.

Thanks,

Brett

ladylake

Put in that new fuel line and take the carb apart and clean it good.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

It'll take him an hour and a half to peel that thing down far enough to get to the carb which by the way probabley could stand a rebuild .

AdkStihl

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 07, 2013, 11:17:15 AM
It'll take him an hour and a half to peel that thing down far enough to get to the carb which by the way probabley could stand a rebuild .

+1

020's are definitely not my favorite saw to work one. PITA actually.
From the sounds of things, the metering diaphragm is stiffer n a board.
Rebuild the carb and replace fuel line & filter.
Report back
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Just as a general statement it's almost an exercise in futility to "clean" a carb .More times than not a simple matter of replacing the carb innards will fix the problem .

If I had a dime for everybody who has disassembled a saw carb a dozen times with no results only to finally ether replace or rebuild I'd be a rich man .

AdkStihl

Yup....if its coming apart....might as well rebuild it. Anything else and youre wasting time
J.Miller Photography

Raceline08

Thanks for the help, I heard these things will take awhile to tear apart. ;D
Ill save this for a winter project for sure, or maybe a rainy day.

Thanks again for the help ill keep ya posted!

Brett

Raceline08

Oh ya, and what way is the best to accomplish this? Take apart the carb  side of the saw? Or dose the engine need to be pulled out of the housing completely ? Etc etc......??

Thanks,

Brett

Raceline08

Update! Thanks to my local stihl mechanic to tell me how to set the carb to the factor settings, the saw runs great. Going in this weekend to get it tuned with a digital tachometer free of charge! Great guy he used to work at the Pennsylvania stihl plant. Thanks FF!

Thanks again for all the help y'all ,

Brett

Thank You Sponsors!