iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody bought new chains lately?

Started by DR_Buck, October 15, 2013, 08:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

I just placed an order with Bailey's for 18 Woodland Pro RC chains and about had heart failure when I saw the total cost.    It's been 3 years or so since I bought new chains and the price has gone up over 30%.   Six 24" 30RC-84's, 10  30RC-72 chains and 6 plastic felling wedges was $367 !   arg-smiley
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

thecfarm

I had not brought 50 pounds of nails for years. I ran out building the wife her women cave.I went and brought some,$100. I almost swore at the guy.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Dr Buck
Lumped together, but what was the breakdown per chain?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sablatnic

Just got a new chain, 22LP*56E, from Oregon, and a box of screws, 4.5 *70 mm. Don't know the price yet, but maybe I should have asked for it.
Then again, if you need the stuff right now, you need it, no matter the price.

tlandrum

boy could I have saved you some money. those chains in Oregon 72lgx would have cost $275. so I guess you must have gotten some expensive wedges.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

OLD MAN GRINDER

Just bought 3 32inch loops stihl 33rsf,,,,,22.50 each...thought that was
pretty good....

Bob.... 8)
If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything..

grweldon

I just bought a 16" and a 20" .325 pitch chains at the local Stihl dealer.  It was $50 and some change after sales tax of 9.5%.
I thought it was a bit steep.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

SwampDonkey

Around here, chains were $20 for 18" bar 30 years ago, so $25 now isn't much of an increase.  ;D

Nails, kinda like screws, if you order online they are far cheaper. As far as screws go, can't find good ones within miles of here, so just order'm. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Piston

Quote from: DR_Buck on October 15, 2013, 08:21:10 AM

I just placed an order with Bailey's for 18 Woodland Pro RC chains and about had heart failure when I saw the total cost.   

Glad to hear your alright.   ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

fuzzybear

Be happy you don't live here in the north. One 18" Oregon chain runs $35.  Needless to say, I get mine through the mail. ;D
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

DR_Buck

Quote from: sablatnic on October 15, 2013, 11:10:45 AM
Just got a new chain, 22LP*56E, from Oregon, and a box of screws, 4.5 *70 mm. Don't know the price yet, but maybe I should have asked for it.
Then again, if you need the stuff right now, you need it, no matter the price.

The 24" loops were $19 each.  Last time I bought from Baileys they were $11.99.   Up 50%
The 20" loops were $17 each   Last time I bought from Baileys they were $9.99.     Up 70%

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

sawguy21

Kwitcherbellyachin, the dealers pay almost that here. Most are selling loops at $0.35 a link.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

AKDoug

Quote from: OLD MAN GRINDER on October 15, 2013, 02:56:27 PM
pretty good....

Bob.... 8)
Considering that you basically paid cost for those chains...that is pretty good.

SwampDonkey

Your playing paying catch up with the rest of us. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

I have always admired you lads that live out in the boonies, land and forest aplenty.Alas I live in a suburban yuppie stroon field  southwest of Boston.It has advantages they run out and buy the most expensive saw use it once and leave it wet in the garage for a year.When a new chain gets dull its replaced with a new one,these goodies show up at yard sales and flea markets.Saws no good it won't start,sure I'll give you ten bucks for it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

isawlogs

Buy less at a time, you will be buying more often and you will have less chest pains as you will feel the screwing more often..... 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

OLD MAN GRINDER

Quote from: AKDoug on October 16, 2013, 01:20:43 AM
Quote from: OLD MAN GRINDER on October 15, 2013, 02:56:27 PM
pretty good....

Bob.... 8)
Considering that you basically paid cost for those chains...that is pretty good.

The dealer makes them up while i wait, probably why i get such a good price, he has the best price on chains i have found in the area, he deals with a lot of loggers also, logging very big down here......
If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything..

exSW

Just bought three stihl 3/8LP ps 59DL off Ebay $60.00 delivered.Worth the money,this ps chain is everything they say it is.But chain has gone up and I figure it's going to keep going up so... 
"well I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison"

Full Chisel

Quote from: thecfarm on October 15, 2013, 10:59:58 AM
I had not brought 50 pounds of nails for years. I ran out building the wife her women cave.I went and brought some,$100. I almost swore at the guy.  ;D

Dang, now they want their own cave? Geez I give up.
Jed: Jethro, how's come they ain't no ice in Kali Forni-a?

Jethro: Don't look at me Uncle Jed. I didn't take it.

Al_Smith

Since the Chinese tried to corner the market on scrap steel anything made of it has went sky high .The last large chain I bought was a 42" loop of .404 by .063,Oregon  from Baileys for an 084 Stihl at I think 45 cents a driver link .That's like 120 plus drivers there ,forgot the exact count,long .

The last little chains were a pair of 14" loops for a Stihl 200T .One of semi chisel and one of chisel at 18 and 19 dollars respectfully .Not a big deal,tough Stihl chain that will last almost forever no more than I use a trim saw .

thecfarm

Full Chisel,that is what she is calling it. Was going to be a veggie shack,but that business went to pieces.
And here's the thread on The Cave.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,69197.0.html
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!