iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

En route to Woodmizer Carolinas ASC, picking up the new LT35HYD!

Started by hunz, February 14, 2014, 09:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunz

Well the truck is warming up, and we'll be heading out shortly to see the woodmizer crew, and my new lt35 in Albermarle! I will attempt to get my wife to grab some pictures during the demonstration to share here on the forum. Hopefully this won't turn out to be a snow pushing venture. I know here in Hendersonville we had 9" of snow, and according to the weather man, Charlotte got hammered pretty bad.

The updates on this mill from last year include upgraded drive and up/down motors, a new control panel, and unfortunately Woodmizer wasn't able to get the power in/out on the Debarker finished on time. I have had them pull off the non powered debarker, and am going to wait on the new one. The new design's expected release date is sometime in April; fingers crossed.

I can't wait to get this thing back home and see how she works. My wife is interested in one thing that involves me and this mill....our first house, and rightly so. It has been 2.5 years since I started logging the timber from the family farm to build a dovetail home here. At times it seemed like a unattainable goal when pushing that manual mill through those 30" EWP 20' long logs. It's hard enough getting one of those rascals on the mill and dogged. I honestly didn't think the end was in sight. I am hoping hydraulics will make short work, of what I have nearly killed myself trying to accomplish. I am currently about 65% of the way complete with sawing our 2100sq ft timber frame out. My wife is definitely ready to see some action on the house, now that our first child is on its way....7.5 weeks today!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

thecfarm

For sure we want to see some pictures. I have a manual mill, I would enjoy a hyd mill.  ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Wow for you, and I am happy to see that your Wife is involved.  Congratulations !!!  Your life will never be the same again.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Tell Joe, Tyler and Wendy I said hello. You're gonna love your new mill.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

MAI

Hey Hunz,
Travel safe.  Hopefully the snow won't be an issue.  Congrats on the new mill and it was great working with you.

Bill Gaiche

Congrats on the new mill. It is nice to see the wife involved in the mill and building a new home. It sure makes things go more smoothly. You may need a snow blower attached to the mill more than a debarker for now. Good luck on your adventure and do get some photos going and coming with the new mill. bg

Chuck White

Quote from: hunz on February 14, 2014, 09:02:08 AM
Well the truck is warming up, and we'll be heading out shortly to see the woodmizer crew, and my new lt35 in Albermarle! I will attempt to get my wife to grab some pictures during the demonstration to share here on the forum. Hopefully this won't turn out to be a snow pushing venture. I know here in Hendersonville we had 9" of snow, and according to the weather man, Charlotte got hammered pretty bad.

The updates on this mill from last year include upgraded drive and up/down motors, a new control panel, and unfortunately Woodmizer wasn't able to get the power in/out on the Debarker finished on time. I have had them pull off the non powered debarker, and am going to wait on the new one. The new design's expected release date is sometime in April; fingers crossed.

I can't wait to get this thing back home and see how she works. My wife is interested in one thing that involves me and this mill....our first house, and rightly so. It has been 2.5 years since I started logging the timber from the family farm to build a dovetail home here. At times it seemed like a unattainable goal when pushing that manual mill through those 30" EWP 20' long logs. It's hard enough getting one of those rascals on the mill and dogged. I honestly didn't think the end was in sight. I am hoping hydraulics will make short work, of what I have nearly killed myself trying to accomplish. I am currently about 65% of the way complete with sawing our 2100sq ft timber frame out. My wife is definitely ready to see some action on the house, now that our first child is on its way....7.5 weeks today!

Congratulations on your mill and the fact that your wife is involved too!

I (and my brother) just upgraded my mill by installing a new upgraded drive assembly up/down motor, that included a new motor (huge) and gear box (also huge) and the up/dn shaft and bearing!  Not much room left in that compartment for anything else now!

Up/dn operates very smooth now compared to what is was doing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

m wood

congratulations hunz.  I bet your hands are on the wheel and your eyes are on the road just about now.  Can't wait to see pics.  What are the plans for the American Bandsaw?  AND...you'll have to upgrade your avatar pic :D
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Wallys World

Hope there isn't too much salt on the roads. Years ago I had my new Kubota BX TLB delivered in a snow storm covered in salt spray. It took some time and much greasing to get things back to normal.
Congrats on the LT35 - you won't be sorry!
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

MotorSeven

Oh man I am jealous. I have my LT15 up for sale and will eventually replace it with....yep the LT35HYD.......you officially suck :D
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

thecfarm

I brought a NH tractor in the summer. They wanted to bring it to me in a rain storm. I told them the only way I will let you do that if you bring it in a box truck. They brought it a day early. I did not want the rain driven into every nook and cranny of that thing at 50mph.
But I also know it can't be helped at times.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hunz

Hey fellas,
  Just made a pit stop at Applebee's in the hometown. I figured with it being valentine's day and all, I would be a pretty terrible husband if I took her for a 6 hour car ride to pick up a new man's toy :o. You have to treat the wife like a queen every once in a while if you want to be the king!
  I will get some pictures up this evening. I am in love with the mill and haven't really put any time on it yet. I also can't say enough about Tyler and Joe at the Carolina ASC :)

Magicman

I look forward to seeing pictures of the happy family.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

hunz

So after we got back home last night, I just didn't have it in me to get any pictures up. Anytime I have anything in tow for long distances, It really seems to wear me out. All of the constant mirror checking seems to really take its toll at the end of the day; i'm not real sure how the big rig drivers do it day in day out. After my battery light popped on in Old Fort, I was just waiting for the truck to shut off going down the road. Fortunately, 

I will live to troubleshoot that issue another day. Apparently those 2 brand new gold batteries I bought for the truck a month back had enough in them to get me home before the alternator toasted out.

As some had mentioned, the roads were nothing but salt, so I made a stop at the self wash a few miles from the house and gave here a thorough wash. I do believe, that my wife has had her fill of riding in a vehicle for a while. I did score some pictures, but with her being nauseous all through out the day, I only got a few.

When Tyler was running me through the initial set up, he pointed out my 2 hydraulic side supports and my 2 manual ones. It was at that moment that we both realized, I had the 2 manuals when they were all supposed to be hydraulic from the factory. Thankfully corporate had sent the conversion package to the sales center. After about 15 minutes of retrofit, were up and running with all 4 HSS. I was blown away with how simple the kit was from woodmizer to install/swap out; 2 wrenches and a rubber mallet...done. I had mentioned previously that the power in/out debarker wasn't ready in time, so the one that came on it was pulled as reflected in the pictures. Joe was nice enough to send me a 30" logrite cant hook free of charge for the inconvenience of 15 minutes of wrench work, and having to wait 60 days for the updated debarker. To me, that is a gesture that you just don't find much anymore; I do believe that Wood-Mizer is a company that doesn't want to just see you leave with a mill, they want a customer for life.

Only about ten minutes into the demo, we had some innocent onlookers show up to the sales center. It wasn't long before they were asking about where to get information on sawing and about comparable mills. Both the Forestry Forum came up, as well as the line "Whenever I do saw....I saw with a Woodmizer!". I am sure we will see the father son team show up here on the forum within a month or 2. They seemed like 2 great guys, who have now been bittin' by the bug :laugh:

My wife did get a couple of short videos, which I will get up on youtube within a day or so and share with everyone here.

Thanks again Joe, Tyler and Wendy at the Wood-Mizer Carolinas ASC...you guys are great!

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thechknhwk

taylorsmissbeehaven

Man that's a good looking mill! You must be floating, a new mill, an involved wife,a baby on the way and a new home. I am very excited for you and would like to see those hydraulics in action. I love my LT 15, but hydraulics...... Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

fishpharmer

Your LT35HD is a fantastic mill, it looks great!  The beginnings of a long happy story, we appreciate you sharing.  Now take good care of that shiny mill and more importantly, take care of that wonderful wife of yours. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

goose63

Now you Got to get a roof over it its in the snow 8) 8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Peter Drouin

A lot of doors will open for you now some good some bad. Don't let no one touch your mill. And don't let no one try to load a log on the bed with their tractor. There will be customers will want to do that. One dropped log might bend the mill. All ways use the loader arms.
Good luck with the new mill . 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

hunz

Quote from: thecfarm on February 15, 2014, 06:50:52 PM
I like it all ready, How about you?

So I made my first test run with a black pine today. I am still grinning ear to ear 8). I can't even begin to tell how different of a machine this thing is than the manual mill I had; I am not sure how I did it at all before :D. I cant keep from talking about how awesome it is, and how it was worth every.....I mean EVERY last penny. We sawed that pine log in roughly 30 minutes(16"x12') while neither of us broke a sweat. Believe it or not, it cuts much...haha I mean "substantially" faster(blade in the log) and more accurately than my ABC mill, while having the same HP engine. The simple set, is so "simple" yet saves so much time. No more reading my manual scale after I pull back from every cut to make a repeat move, just one tap of the thumb lever, and your making that next cut. 

Thank you all for the wishes concerning the mill and the wife/baby combo ;D, I continue to learn much from you all.....no forks near my mill, or strangers on the controls. I will get a video of it in action soon!

doghunter

Great looking  mill the wife and I went to tractor supply in Hendersonville last night to pick up some dog food as we were leaving I saw your truck and mill sitting behind applebes .had to make a lap around it to check it out. good luck. I live near bat cave if I can ever help you out just pm me
                                                                                                      virgil

hunz

Quote from: doghunter on February 15, 2014, 07:56:33 PM
Great looking  mill the wife and I went to tractor supply in Hendersonville last night to pick up some dog food as we were leaving I saw your truck and mill sitting behind applebes .had to make a lap around it to check it out. good luck. I live near bat cave if I can ever help you out just pm me
                                                                                                      virgil

Virgil,

That is too funny!, that was the Applebee's pit stop. Its tough to find a spot big enough for one of those things and a truck. I had no idea someone on the forum lived so close. We live up on Jeter Mountain Road(Jeter Mountain Farm) on our family farm. Drop by some time, and maybe we could talk wood :). Hope to run into you again sometime!

Zach

Magicman

Thanks for the pictures and for taking us along.  I love shiny stuff !!!     ;D

Chuck White

Sounds like you are lovin' that new mill Zach!

Sure is purdy!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MAI

Zach,
Thanks for the pics.  Looks great.  Keep us posted.  Enjoy!

Left Coast Chris

What a fantastic way to start the year out!!   The mill is a real beauty.   I to have been manual but do mostly hobby sawing.  Over the last couple of years though may sawing has increased along with the millage on my body.   :) :)

In thinking about such an upgrade.....

What is your max width cut for slabs?   How many HP?    What is approx. cost if you don't mind sharing?  Did it come with a debarker?     I know now is a good time to buy.    Mine is a home built LT 30 clone but will cut 27" wide.  It has a 24 HP Honda so can handle the slabs pretty well.  The owner is slowing down regarding handling the heavy slabs though..... hydraulics are sounding better and better.    :)

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

samandothers

You bought a great mill from great folks!   I have a manual LT35 I bought from Joe.  Recently took it back for the retrofit of the head motor/gear drive.  good luck and look forward to pictures of the new baby..... the one in 6.5 weeks versus the orange one!

hunz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYCVdPp7wy0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I noticed in the video, that I kept grabbing for the blade engage/disengage lever after ever cut, then realized I didn't need to because of the set works! The log was a small black pine. We used the lumber for a small partition at the event facility my wife and I manage. Feel free to critique my sawing, after all, I am young man with much to learn from you all.

To the questions about the mill, the total cost was $20,540 with the extra hydraulic side supports($150) and Debarker($1395) which will be here April. Keep in mind I qualify for an agricultural exemption eliminating sales tax. The tax alone would have been over $1400; not sure if you are a farmer. The Woodmizer more for less discount was $1,500 at the time. If you were to buy the mill today with the options I chose to purchase, with no sales tax exemption, your total would be near $23,500. Either way I feel what you would be buying, is worth EVERY last cent. I am in love with mill, I am finding myself creating reasons to fire it up!

fishpharmer

Maybe this phone but,  when I click on the link it a message pops up saying its "video is  for private tap to retry"   Thanks for other info. You got a good deal.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

hunz

Quote from: fishpharmer on February 18, 2014, 11:09:28 PM
Maybe this phone but,  when I click on the link it a message pops up saying its "video is  for private tap to retry"   Thaniks for other info. You got a good deal.

Link is fixed. I accidentally had it listed as private.

backwoods sawyer

8) looks good 8)
Be sure to use the pivoting bed rails to suport the ends of the cant, the cant will start to bow down as it gets thinner.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Peter Drouin

That's a nice mill, and you're doing just fine. Support the ends like backwoods said and have fun . 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

SawyerBrown

Hunz, welcome to the LT35HD club!!  Great little saw, isn't it?  And I agree with you on the WoodMizer folks ... I got mine in Indy, but what a great bunch to work with.  Nice video -- you sure have got the hang of it already!

I haven't quite figured out the impact of the improvements they made this year ... whether it's just speed (watching your video, your return speed is a lot faster than mine, even at "full throttle"), or whether it was to address issues/complaints.  The upgrade to the debarker is nice ... if there's one thing that's given me fits, it's the debarker -- seems to get in the way on bigger logs, and several times I've tripped the circuit breaker, you have to make sure it's in the right position when parking the saw for travel (I've already replaced the cable and had to straighten the lever  poston-smiley), and that DanG beeper!

Congratulations on the upcoming addition to your family!!  As someone said above, life will never be the same!  (And you don't think you have enough time now ... just wait!  :D :D :D)
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

hunz

I am glad you guys mentioned using the end sliding supports. That bottom board on the cant I was sawing, was about 1/2" on the front end and the actual 1" board thickness on the exit end. I just chalked if up to stress in the log, but now I have my answer. :laugh:

Do you guys support the very end of every log? How much overhang past the bedrails do you generally allow?

Sawyer,
  I sure know I am quite tickled with mine 8). Tyler at the ASC told me that when you pull on that return that carriage is COMING because of the lt40 drive motors. In the video, my cutting speed was at 1/3 of max. I believe it will take me a while to get the feed speed consistent on those fast cant cuts. How fast do you enter the cut on pine the size in the video? If I go too slow I get the blade chatter for the first inch or two on the boards...is that just what I should expect so I don't hammer the blade into the log? Thanks in advance!

Magicman

It just does not get much better than that.  smiley_thumbsup Thanks for the video.

You can enter the log at sawing speed, but I tend to touch the blade and then speed up to sawing speed.

SawyerBrown

hunz, I saw mostly hardwoods, but I can't say that I ever experienced chatter in any type of log, although I do the same as MM above -- enter a little slower (but not too slow) then speed up once the entire blade is engaged.  Doesn't sound typical to me -- the only thing I can think of is blade tension?  As much tension as there is, hard to understand why you're getting chatter.  The other thing I was going to suggest was making sure the RH/adjustable guide is tucked up pretty close to the cant (I'm usually within 1" or so), but from your video looks like you're already there. 

If nothing else, call WM and talk to the experts!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Thank You Sponsors!