iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A nice Season Starter

Started by Magicman, February 15, 2014, 08:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, there is nothing like a nice whack of logs to start the year off.  Many 8, 10, & 12" timbers plus framing lumber.

Mostly SYP logs with a few Oaks mixed in.  It looks like it will take about 3 days.

The muddy ones are getting a pressure washing.   ;D

The trackhoe is also helping with the timbers.  These first two were 20' 12"X12".

The entire job will be sawed "hourly rate" since there are so many timbers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

brianb88

Nice looking clean operation there MagicMan.   8)  Being an obvious newbie I hadn't thought of using a pressure washer.
Measure twice, cut once

Escavader

Nothing like clean logs .A spruce and fir mill I use to work in had a heated hot pond to wash them before they came to the debarker. Debarker a are nice but they don't clean the ends
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Its about time you got out of the kitchen and went back to work.  :D

Good pics Magic.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

The logs in the background were very clean, but those in the foreground were very dirty.  The customer is trying to do what he can to provide clean logs.

Using a trackhoe bucket and thumb is a first for me to see.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scully

I bleed orange  .

hunz

Those look to be some quality saw logs. Won't have to break out the chainsaw for any knots or sweep on this job!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

backwoods sawyer

Hydraulics sure take the work out of log handling ;D

I find that when working with an excavator, if you can set it up square to the mill and just keep one or two logs infront of the mill, then when the bucket comes over the mill to pick up a timber the timber dose not twist away from the mill as it is moved away.
I also find that the person climbing down out of a rig that size has generaly had a few hours on them  ;)   
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

Glad to see you're back at it Lynn!

Up here most of us have a couple of months to go yet!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

justallan1

Good looking logs. Around here if I come to anything without branches that high I'd probably keep going, thinking it was a power pole. :D

Allan

drobertson

A very nice start for sure!  Having the loader sure speeds things up, and a good operator is priceless. 
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I would have loved to stop and take more pictures of some of the logs, but this is an hourly rate job so I don't stop.   The largest so far was 26" butt log.  ;D

mad murdock

Could there be some "hydraulicification" in you future Magicman?  I sure would love to find a shovel I could get myself into for jobs around my treefarm. Handy tool, but not cheap ones that's for sure. Very nice whack of logs too!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

No doubt I love it when the customer has those big toys, even if they are rented.

It looks like there are other lemons to squeeze this week and we will not be able to get back on that saw job until Friday.  Actually that suits me fine because I am in the midst of building a storage building for a Daughter.  Maybe I can get closer to getting the roof on.   ;D

Andy White

Lynn,
Maybe now I am seeing where the" Magic" comes from! You don't ever stop! Are you working on your daughter's shed by the hour too?  smiley_smash smiley_smash We need pictures! Always helping someone, ain't life good?     8) 8) 8)    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

Yup, it is a work in progress and there will be pictures of the build.  The two Grandsons are in right now, so hopefully we can get the porch done.  That has to be completed before the 32' roof panels can go up.   :o

At least the weather finally looks good.   :)

dblair

pretty wood , it looks warm and nice . I haven't had that kind of weather in a while looking forward to enjoying it just like your doing . here's a shot of the yard this morning .

old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Sixacresand

Looks like a good job with the support equipment and I assume plenty of help. Have fun Magic Man.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

We built and man-handled the 22' beam up today.  I'm whooped.   :-\

Maybe I can upload some pictures soon and detail the build.  The Grandson works 7 on and 7 off, so we only have a couple of days every other week, if it does not rain, to do any work.

wills swamp

when i saw on the road for someone that has support equipment it makes me very nervous.unknown operator/ machine.once had a guy wanting to load logs right on the mill bunks with a backhoe down hill that had no brakes.another time had a guy rent a skid steer and try to run it with no past experience.what i do is make sure they only load logs and remove lumber from the runners or dunage on the ground in front on the mills loading arms.i dont want unknown machines/operators over or to close to my mill.
wills swamp custom sawing-2002 wood-mizer lt40/hydraulic/d33,nyle L53 kiln,case 1845sp,massey203/loader/farmi winch,john deere 450c crawler/loader,husqvana saws,logrite tools

Peter Drouin

Quote from: wills swamp on February 18, 2014, 04:18:30 PM
when i saw on the road for someone that has support equipment it makes me very nervous.unknown operator/ machine.once had a guy wanting to load logs right on the mill bunks with a backhoe down hill that had no brakes.another time had a guy rent a skid steer and try to run it with no past experience.what i do is make sure they only load logs and remove lumber from the runners or dunage on the ground in front on the mills loading arms.i dont want unknown machines/operators over or to close to my mill.

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Logs are never loaded onto my sawmill which is quite obvious with the logs staged in the first couple of pictures. 

The toe boards are being used to roll the beams off of the sawmill bed.  They were then hoisted onto the trailer with the trackhoe and sling.  The shorter beams are being handled with the tractor/FEL and sling.

Rest assured that my sawmill is not in danger.  This ain't my first rodeo.   ;D

Escavader

Quote from: Magicman on February 17, 2014, 07:21:00 PM
We built and man-handled the 22' beam up today.  I'm whooped.   :-\

Maybe I can upload some pictures soon and detail the build.  The Grandson works 7 on and 7 off, so we only have a couple of days every other week, if it does not rain, to do any work.
I sometimes run 8 by 15s 24 ft long through our planer mill they will kick ya butt ;D
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on February 18, 2014, 07:06:24 PM
Logs are never loaded onto my sawmill which is quite obvious with the logs staged in the first couple of pictures. 

The toe boards are being used to roll the beams off of the sawmill bed.  They were then hoisted onto the trailer with the trackhoe and sling.  The shorter beams are being handled with the tractor/FEL and sling.

Rest assured that my sawmill is not in danger.  This ain't my first rodeo.   ;D

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

I finished the season opener today and the logs were certainly a cut above the normal. 

These 16" twenty footers were the normal.

This is an end shot of a 24" log showing the near perfect growth rings.

I shared this picture of the customer's Grandfather in the Logrite board that shows a few of the timbers.  I sawed the entire job "hourly rate" so I have no idea how many bf was sawed.  The side lumber was 2X4, 2X6, and 5/4.

Thank You Sponsors!