iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT 35

Started by kmarshia, February 18, 2014, 09:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmarshia

While I have been reading the great info on the forum for about a year, this is my first post.  I bought an LT 35 hydraulic a little over a year ago and am just learning.  This summer things were going well, but since late fall, it seems to be one headache after another.   While I realize these are probably simple issues, I thought I would seek input before going crazy!  Any advice would be very much appreciated.

1. I am sawing completely frozen hemlock.  I went from a 10 degree blade to a 9 degree after a call to WM tech support.  I am still getting an occasional wavy cut and have varied my feed rate.  Even getting these cuts with a pretty new blade.  Is the answer 4 degree blades or are there other things I can try. 

2. Power feed.  It will not work at all when I start the mill up.   After a dozen or so passes it starts to jump a little and reverse will work with a little push.  After an hour or so it works pretty well.  I can't find any bark or sawdust binding it up, but maybe I am missing something. 

3.  Debarker stopped working.  The other day the Debarker just stopped working.  I have attempted to reset the fuse in the black box on the back of the head.  Still no luck. 

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! I use 4° bands for hard or frozen wood. The power feed belt may not be tight enough. Not sure about the debarker. Sudden stops usually mean fuse/circuit breaker, I wonder if there is more than one breaker, maybe a master breaker that controls all accessories?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

NMFP

Use 4 degree bands.  Contrary to what others say, I have numerous customers running 4 degree on low hp mills.  Look at the geometry and the size chips you are taking with each tooth.  Chip sizes are smaller with 4 degree and you are actually chiseling through the wood where as 10 degre, you are slacing into the wood and have larger chips.

As for your power feed and debarker, have you tested for electrical continuity everywhere?  How about a ground thats weak or something that would be affecting the ground?

dgdrls

Welcome aboard.

Lots of great folks here who will help you have your mill running great and sawing straight!!

best
DGDrls

47sawdust

kmarshia,
I live just north of montpelier.
Frozen wood presents its own special problems,4 degree blades work well for me in nasty spruce ,give them a try.
The  Woodmizer Techs are top notch and should be contacted for your power feed and debarker issues.
Best regards,
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

AdamT

Definitely check the power feed belt first. I went through the same thing a few months after buying my mill, and after checking fuses and connections, I decided to pull the cover off the belt housing and look at it. I just wish I did that first!

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Magicman

Hello kmarshia, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)

There are a few basic test that you need to make concerning your Debarker.  Do you have voltage getting to the Debarker?  If not, do you have voltage getting to the breaker that you "reset"?  After resetting, is there voltage on the output side of the breaker?

As was previously mentioned, WM service techs are always ready to lend assistance.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sparks

Give us a call when you are at the sawmill and we can walk you through some troubleshooting on the PF and the Debarker and get you going again.   Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Dave Shepard

Sometimes you don't have to call the techs, they find you. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thechknhwk

My power feed motor went bad the first winter I had it.  The brushes would stick in the "out" position and then of course the head wouldn't move.  I had it apart a few times to free them up or you might be able to free them up by tapping the motor with a mallet.  I would definately seek a replacement though if it's under warranty.  I do not know if they revised the motor at all.  They replaced it for free (under warranty), and I had the WM tech change it when they came to do my alignment/service call.

Thank You Sponsors!