iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 261 c-m

Started by Whiplash1, March 11, 2019, 07:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiplash1

Been running this saw for 3 weeks now and gotta say this *DanG thing screams! I know my 346xp(50cc) is older but it won't hold a candle to this saw. Maybe it cause it's new but I'm loving this saw. Don't reach for any of the 461's unless I really need it. Hoping their isn't a flaw with these I haven't found yet. Running 18" sugi bar with Oregon lpx. Anyone else loving this little saw or have any negative on it?

realzed

Amazingly - it will only get better.. hang on for a while longer and wait to be pleased even more as most of us have!

Whiplash1

I've been told that several times lol, it really get that much better?

wild262

Quote from: Whiplash1 on March 11, 2019, 07:05:05 PM
Been running this saw for 3 weeks now and gotta say this *DanG thing screams! I know my 346xp(50cc) is older but it won’t hold a candle to this saw. Maybe it cause it’s new but I’m loving this saw. Don’t reach for any of the 461’s unless I really need it. Hoping their isn’t a flaw with these I haven’t found yet. Running 18” sugi bar with Oregon lpx. Anyone else loving this little saw or have any negative on it?

Must have a weak 346 if don't run with your 261.  I have both saws and mine run about dead even.  Looks like your new, so welcome to the forum!

Allar

One day i'll give that saw a chance, especially seeing that it out cuts the new 550xp mark II.
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Air Lad

Love my 260c
Not the same league but it was the 1 I chose if I could have just 1
Glad you're happy mate

KWood255

I too just bought a new M261C. I have 2-3 tanks for fuel burnt so far and I am very impressed. I have a Husqvarna 357xp and a Stihl MS290 as well. The 261C will outperform both, and is about 3.5lbs lighter.  So far, the carb compensater works great. No complaints here.

Greenerpastures

Quote from: KWood255 on March 30, 2019, 05:31:07 PM
I too just bought a new M261C. I have 2-3 tanks for fuel burnt so far and I am very impressed. I have a Husqvarna 357xp and a Stihl MS290 as well. The 261C will outperform both, and is about 3.5lbs lighter.  So far, the carb compensater works great. No complaints here.
Good for you, I take it they are still selling carburettor type saws, this makes me wonder how this saw keeps within the epa limits, given Mtronic is not used, does it have a catalytic converter in the muffler, if not then the strato charging must be doing a good job, so why did they invent Mtronic, me puzzled. 

realzed

I'm assuming that since this thread was started referencing the C-M variant - that comments in it apply basically  to the M-Tronic controlled version as per the earlier comments..
I'm thinking KWood255 is just mistakenly calling the M-Tronic bits the 'carb compensator' in error and means the electronic controlling capabilities instead. 
I haven't seen any brochures (US or Canada) that makes reference to the carb'd version still available - but that doesn't take into account the probably hundreds if not thousands, of that type that may still reside in dealer stock and haven't yet been sold off in both countries obviously.

btulloh

Another wrinkle maybe:  I've got a 362cm that says 362c on the outside. Maybe there are some 261c's like that too.
HM126

lxskllr

I believe any that have the "C" on the cover are cm. Regular carb units will just have the main number.

ladylake

Why all the hype, over on youtube the ms261c runs about the same as other good 50 cc saws.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

KWood255

I may have been mistaken here guys. I understood the 261c-m had a type of compensator on the carb....somewhat like an EFI setup. Mine does have the M-tronic which I'm not familiar with it's purpose. Either way, I'm pleased with the saw.

I ran all 3 saws today, 357xp, MS290 and the new 261CM. It's quickly becoming my favourite.

nybhh

Like mine but it is an early,  non-mtronic version.   Bought it in 2012.
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

ZeroJunk

Quote from: KWood255 on April 11, 2019, 09:20:41 PM
I may have been mistaken here guys. I understood the 261c-m had a type of compensator on the carb....somewhat like an EFI setup. Mine does have the M-tronic which I'm not familiar with it's purpose. Either way, I'm pleased with the saw.

I ran all 3 saws today, 357xp, MS290 and the new 261CM. It's quickly becoming my favourite.
The M Tronic has a replaceable solenoid on the carb that opens and closes like a valve controlling the amount of fuel. A signal from the ignition module tells the solenoid how much fuel to pass. There is no adjustment on the MTronic carburetor.

HotRail

Quote from: lxskllr on March 31, 2019, 02:15:23 PM
I believe any that have the "C" on the cover are cm. Regular carb units will just have the main number.
Correct.  The mtronic from stihl and autotune from husky are just computer chip controlled carbs.  The chip controls the carb settings automatically compared to the user controlled settings of a regular carb.

thedoublejranch

Quote from: HotRail on May 12, 2019, 07:37:07 PM

Correct.  The mtronic from stihl and autotune from husky are just computer chip controlled carbs.  The chip controls the carb settings automatically compared to the user controlled settings of a regular carb.
So it is like the GM throttle body fuel injection?
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

HotRail

Well only in the sense that it's in between a regular carb and all out fuel injection....but anyways, I agree with HolmenTree in that it's an all around good technology to have.  Easier for the end user because, in theory, the saw is always tuned right for conditions.  But, not so much for the user to fix I guess if something goes wrong.  A good qualified technician can plug it in to help diagnose problems too though....

Thank You Sponsors!