iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Barn Red

Started by Brian_Weekley, April 14, 2014, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Weekley

I'm looking to stain my timber frame barn--barn red.  Actually, only the front side.  Plan to leave the other sides natural cedar shakes.  Something like this...

However, "barn red" is not a standard color.  It seems every company has their own version of barn red.  Some look more brown, some look more orange, some are light red, and some are bright red, etc...  I know everyone will have their own opinion, but has someone found a good stain brand and color they are happy with (that doesn't cost and arm and a leg)?  Recommendations for oil or acrylic base stain? 

Too brown:

Too orange:

Too red:

Just about right:
e aho laula

Red Good

I have not painted a barn in 40 years but lots of motorcycles and they will do test panels before they mix the final colour if I ask for it or am looking for a specific shade . Take your best picture of the right colour in and ask them . Good luck ,Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

WmFritz

I can't help you on your query, but my vote is for the last picture too. That's the shade I like... especially with the white trim.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

MattJ

The color I have liked for getting a rich barn red is "massey ferguson" red from tractor supply or agrisupply.  Google it and you can find lots of references.

Matt

Dave Shepard

I think the "just about right" started out as "too red".  :D There is a company that comes through here every couple of years and paints barns "too red". They also paint most of the windows, the lower edge of the roof, and anything else within over spray range. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WmFritz

If Poston gets a say... your barn would get a nice coat of Woodmizer orange!
  :D :D :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Rockn H

I have to 2nd what Dave said.   I'm thinking the "too red" would wind up just about right after a year or so  ;)

razor

I use Flood brand solid colour Deck and Siding Finish on my outbuildings. Very impressed with it. It has never peeled but south and west facing walls have faded a bit after 10 - 15 yrs.
I use a kind of burgundy red, check their website for colours they offer.

Thank You Sponsors!