iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricklayer51

It must be spring I saw a robin a few minutes ago

SwampDonkey

They won't show here for a month, along with the killdeer and blue birds. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

A lot of cool birds pitches here. A tree getting smaller every day. 8)

Must be a bunch of bugs in there. It's been cold here in the 2° thing for 3 weeks just starting to warm up.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, the birds are not at the feeder so much now that it is warming up.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

We're feeling that Spring Weather will be happening very soon!

I even saw a flock of Robins this afternoon hopping around in the field next to the house!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Robins are a funny bird, some winters they are here in small numbers. But most of our robins here are wintering no more than 200 miles south of here around the Fundy coast. My aunt who lived in Sussex (southern N.B.) had robins every winter in the yard, and they have snow to.

doctorb

Interesting.  Our robins do the same sorta thing.  They leave here in winter and head to the eastern shore of Maryland, or the western shore of the southern Chesapeake Bay.  Our Bluebirds hang here a little longer and certainly return earlier.  Both are back now.  In fact, our bluebirds scout nesting boxes in mid-February.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

Quote from: doctorb on March 16, 2019, 08:47:21 AM
 In fact, our bluebirds scout nesting boxes in mid-February.
But 3 feet of snow and cold down near 0F in Feb makes a difference I suspect. ;)

SwampDonkey

Noticed a loaner red winged black bird yesterday at the feeder.

Chuck White

I saw a good sized flock of Red Winged Blackbirds yesterday!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

This guy and his brother and several girlfriends were in the yard 2 days ago. I saw him near dark in the pasture above the house yesterday.

Robins came back about a week ago. I love to watch them doing a tug of war with a big old night crawler still firmly anchored in their hole in ground.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

Three grouse (partridge) out in the back yard this afternoon. Ten feet away from the bird feeder. The other birds have the feed pretty well eaten up today, they won't get fresh feed until tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/fhhvKXdnxjE

Chuck White

Fun to watch, good to eat!

I just happened to see one budding along the hedge row behind the house earlier this afternoon, it was out there about an hour!

I think the season is closed here now!

Skip

Haven't seen (or heard) a grouse round here in years , used to be plenty, thanks for pic .

MacDiarmada7

Adding a couple of images to enjoy
Coopers   Great-horned     
Is maith an t-anlann an t-ocras {hunger is good sauce}

My arsenal :High Mountain Husky Dynasty
262xp, 371/372XP, 562XP, 550xp II , 357XP, 346XP, 350/346xp top end, 55Rancher , 445 xtorq, 435 xtorq

MacDiarmada7

Out here we have a very interesting Buteo , The Zone-Tail Hawk  {Buteo Albonotatus}. It is also known as "the Great Pretender" This Hawk will become a part of a kettle of Turkey vultures to disguise itself in making its way close to the ground , pouncing upon all kinds of unsuspecting ground dwellers. As it glides it's primaries spread out and it adopts the vultures classic Dihedral or V shape wing pattern and the rocking/ rolling side to side motion as it soars. Quite unique and awesome to see !
Is maith an t-anlann an t-ocras {hunger is good sauce}

My arsenal :High Mountain Husky Dynasty
262xp, 371/372XP, 562XP, 550xp II , 357XP, 346XP, 350/346xp top end, 55Rancher , 445 xtorq, 435 xtorq

KEC

The Kestrels (Sparrow Hawks) are declining likely because of the whole Northeast is reverting to forest habitat. They do well in hayfields and grasslands where there are lots of Meadow Voles.

SwampDonkey

We have lots of kestrel here, they sit on power line wires along the fields. One pair usually nests is a small woods grove every summer on my cousin's tree farm. In the fall I have seen them circle a small grove of apples and mountain ash bushes where robins were feeding. Reminded me of sharks circling around their prey. The robins were very vocal with their alert calls. :D

I saw 4 crows yesterday feeding on a  dead turkey at the end of the field.

I saw another 3 partridge up the road on Wednesday near the main road sitting on a berm and in small popple trees. There also are cedar and yellow birch in that little grove and a spring in under the canopy of trees. I was looking right at one in a popple sapling and he was really camouflaged, his breast feathers looked like the bark. :)

lxskllr

Tree goose is back! Last year I was bucking up some dead maple under a tree, and I'd hear a goose honk. No big surprise; they're all over the farm. Hear it again, look up, and nothing... That happens a couple times, and I think "wth is going on?!" look up in the tree, and see a goose head poke up. She built a nest on top of the snag, and it looks like she's back.

Picture's crappy, but you can see her head; maybe... My phone doesn't take great pics anyway, and I had it on full zoom.

SwampDonkey

That's how they sort of nested in the city of Toronto, only on buildings and not trees. Some of them was sent down here and transplanted. We call them McKenna's nuisance geese. He was provincial premier with the brain fart idea of bringing them here. Goose are not native nesters here in New Brunswick until those goofs transplanted them. Well what do they expect up there when they take their lake front property and turn it to city dwellings. :D

Roxie

I've never seen a goose nest in a tree.  That's very interesting. 

I did learn a valuable lesson about accidentally walking near a Canadian goose nest when I was ten.  They can administer a nasty bite and twist on a tender backside. 

Say when

doctorb

lol.  Happened to my youngest daughter when she was ten!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Chuck White

I saw an Eastern Bluebird in the yard on 4/12/19, was a real surprise!

He has already laid claim to one of the birdhouses along the edge of the yard!

SwampDonkey

The tree swallows are back today. :)

WDH

Are they from Capistrano?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!