iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheap red oak

Started by tyb525, July 19, 2008, 11:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

I recently found 100 bd ft of 4/4 KD #1 common red oak, widths range from 3 to 9", and 72 to 124" long, for $89. It is within 15 miles of me, and the seller will load it into my truck. This is a good deal, right?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

Sounds good if it is what you want, and what you can use.

Enjoy.   :)

What do you have in mind to use it for?

We will like pics... ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

I plan on using some of it to build a bookcase. The rest will be for future projects.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

crowder888

Just for comparison I've been paying $1440/m for F1F Red Oak S2S and SLR1E delivered.  Sounds like you've got a pretty good deal.

Wannabee Sawyer

I guess I need to move to your area and sell some oak.  In Massachusetts red oak is bringing nothing even after milling it.

Everyone seems to want white oak today for trailer planks and bridges.

Dave Shepard

Yep, our red oak logs are all on the firewood pile. Might saw some up for cribbing, but firewood seems to be the only market.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

Red oak is all you can get for oak up here, and it's never cheap. It's like buying walnut as far as price.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

How much of this Red Oak glut do y'all contribute to the disease and how much to the economy, and how much to the cyclical "consumer taste model' for a lack of a better term?

I see the disease affecting it two ways. 1) It has made the logs easy and cheap if not free. You can get fresh dying red oak here for the taking, that still has great wood in it. Alot of it spalted and much of it not. Your choice on what you want to haul off. 2) the buying public is aware of the disease as it is old news. This may have caused them to think of it as a "tainted" species and that has affected it in the other area i mention . . . .

Cyclical buying model. The public buys species (cabinets mostly but furniture too) in cycles. Walnut is popular then Hackberry then Poplar then White Oak. red Oak is just not in fashion for whatever reason partly the disease I think. Plus loggers won't log it. Buyers won't buy it. Mills don't want to mill it even if they could get it. They couldn't sell it because the public don't want it.

None of this could be accurate of course. ;D

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Dave Shepard

We don't have a disease problem here, just consumer tastes dictating demand. Cherry is, or at least was, the only thing bringing any amount of money.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

We pay a premium here because it is all import. We wouldn't have enough cherry or red oak to keep a sawmill business going.  The very best of ash is $489.22 at the tool handle place (AMES) and hard maple $415 for 10"+ and 2 clear face. Worth more than softwood, but takes twice as long to grow and the quality is a lot more sparse.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ladylake

Over here I can get $1.75 for the better boards, some clear some with a knot or 2, can't hardly give away the lower grades 45 cents maybe.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!