iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Uprooting four trees at same time (video)

Started by 123maxbars, July 13, 2017, 01:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I went to a fellow sawyer's logging site in Virginia yesterday to look at some white oak. I was able to capture him and his crew take down a white oak tree that got hung up on four others. They took the skidder and pulled it down which caused the tree to uproot all of the trees it was leaning onto.  Made for some good video footage I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnYwkP_frLA
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

coxy

had wedges and a skidder hooked to it and still fell the wrong way 

RHP Logging

Just looked like text book amateur hour to me. I'm guessing the trees that got knocked over weren't part of the sale? Yeah it looks kind of fun and all but not knowing how to directionally fall a tree makes for dangerous situations. The guy sawing the root ball off doesn't seem to have a lot of experience with blowdown either. He wasn't real quick on his feet. Good way to get a log in the chest.
Buckin in the woods

123maxbars

Quote from: coxy on July 13, 2017, 06:35:07 PM
had wedges and a skidder hooked to it and still fell the wrong way

Yeah the drum on his skidder slipped so the hold it it was lost, sometimes things don't go as planned.
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

paul case

Yeah but no one ever remembers the ones that worked out the way you wanted them to, just the ones that go the wrong way.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

123maxbars

Quote from: RHP Logging on July 13, 2017, 10:55:05 PM
Just looked like text book amateur hour to me. I'm guessing the trees that got knocked over weren't part of the sale? Yeah it looks kind of fun and all but not knowing how to directionally fall a tree makes for dangerous situations. The guy sawing the root ball off doesn't seem to have a lot of experience with blowdown either. He wasn't real quick on his feet. Good way to get a log in the chest.

So in your career as logging ( I assume you are a logger) every tree has always went as planned?  Just sharing an experience I had in the woods with some friends on here, I make this videos as a hobby.
And the "guy" sawing the root ball is 68 years old and goes into the woods every day, has been a logger since the age of 17 in Southwest VA.  He is a little slower on his feet than he use to be I will agree with that,  his wife passed a few weeks ago and he told me at breakfast that morning the woods is what keeps him going.

I have found that if I see something I don't agree with or that could be made better I offer advice and not labels.  Comments such as "amateur hour" don't really help people do a better job or anything at all.  Nothing good comes from negative comments however offering sound advice is what stands out and people learn from. 

outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

Quote from: paul case on July 14, 2017, 06:44:31 AM
Yeah but no one ever remembers the ones that worked out the way you wanted them to, just the ones that go the wrong way.

PC

Very true Paul,

thanks for the tip also on that walnut and saving the heart wood, Will be trying that next week
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

brianJ

As a fish out of water like my avatar,  this seemed like unaware rookies to me.   Rather than hurt feelings I took RHP opinion as offering a word of caution to people like me.   

Savannahdan

Actually I look at it from the standpoint that he got four for the effort put into one.  Less wear and tear on the saw, less fuel and less exposure to risk of getting clobbered by a falling tree.  When was cutting at the root ball he looked several times for his escape route.  If it had been me I would have fallen flat on my face like I did last Saturday while running a weed trimmer.   Also, there seems to be a lot of similar looks between you and that fellow at the beginning of the video.  I almost couldn't figure out who was who.  Scary!  Ha.  Have a great day and I'm off to try to whack some weeds without taking a swan dive.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

123maxbars

Quote from: Savannahdan on July 14, 2017, 07:23:22 AM
Actually I look at it from the standpoint that he got four for the effort put into one.  Less wear and tear on the saw, less fuel and less exposure to risk of getting clobbered by a falling tree.  When was cutting at the root ball he looked several times for his escape route.  If it had been me I would have fallen flat on my face like I did last Saturday while running a weed trimmer.   Also, there seems to be a lot of similar looks between you and that fellow at the beginning of the video.  I almost couldn't figure out who was who.  Scary!  Ha.  Have a great day and I'm off to try to whack some weeds without taking a swan dive.

Thanks, you too, be safe out there,
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

RHP Logging

Quote from: 123maxbars on July 14, 2017, 06:46:59 AM
Quote from: RHP Logging on July 13, 2017, 10:55:05 PM

So in your career as logging ( I assume you are a logger) every tree has always went as planned?  Just sharing an experience I had in the woods with some friends on here, I make this videos as a hobby.
And the "guy" sawing the root ball is 68 years old and goes into the woods every day, has been a logger since the age of 17 in Southwest VA.  He is a little slower on his feet than he use to be I will agree with that,  his wife passed a few weeks ago and he told me at breakfast that morning the woods is what keeps him going.

I have found that if I see something I don't agree with or that could be made better I offer advice and not labels.  Comments such as "amateur hour" don't really help people do a better job or anything at all.  Nothing good comes from negative comments however offering sound advice is what stands out and people learn from.

Absolutely trees can go sideways from time to time. But I don't brag about damaging the residual stand that should be left for future generations.  Quite frankly it bothers me for days afterwards when i smash good trees that weren't part of the sale.   As well as the possible  landowner/forester/dnr reprocutions. If trees were a part of the sale the no biggie, but you haven't addressed that question yet.  As far as text book is concerned the faller did his cuts perfectly like right out of a book but the tree went sideways. What went wrong?  The trees don't read the books or follow directions. That's the problem with how GOL (the technique he was employing ) views timber falling. They don't take into account lean, head weight, wood structure, species, wind, etc, etc, etc. They teach scratch this tiny little face in, bore, stick wedges in before all the wood is even cut(totally silly in my opinion) and release. As soon as you release that strap you have lost all steering control of the tree and he is relying solely on the hinge wood he left which clearly wasn't enough to keep the tree on the stump and in the lead. If he put a decent face in the tree and cut from the back to the front he could steer the tree and react to what the tree is doing(keep fatty holding wood on the pull side and light if no wood on the swing side). I understand he expected more mechanical assistance but I always make my cuts the way I need them regardless off outside assistance. I can get into greater detail if you like. You're right tho just saying it looks like amateur hour isn't helping anyone. As far as the blowdown I'm sure the guy knew what he was doing but maybe someone with quicker feet like the faller should have cleaned up his own mess. I've seen trees whip around hard when they are released and several are attached to the same ball. That's how guys get killed. In really bad scenarios I will leave a Russian coupling and have the machine break the rest of the wood either by winch or grapple.
Buckin in the woods

Hilltop366

On the plus side they were wearing some safety gear!

I'm no logger, just cut for my own use but judging from what I can see on the video I see it as a chain reaction of events that caused the other trees to get knocked down, not enough notch and holding wood causing a loss of control of the tree, then having the choker set so high that it is not safe or practical to to reset it lower (and moving the skidder over too) causing the whole tree to be pulled sideways instead of pulling the bottom out towards the left. Even if the other trees were to be harvested I would rather cut them standing than in a clump laying over.

I could be all wrong.

I would suggest sharing some of the comments with your friends, might save their lives.

coxy

jmop but the skidder op was the one that up rooted the trees if he would have on hooked and moved to a straighter pulling spot they may not have up rooted again jmop from looking at the video  I don't under stand what you mean by the drum slipping

Ianab

Looking at the video, I think he miss-cut the plunge and ended up with an uneven hinge, too thin on the off-side. I like to plunge further away from the hinge, then sneak up to it, double checking I have the right angles. Then head towards the back of the stump.

If you look as the tree starts to fall, the hinge separates on one side almost instantly, allowing the tree to go sideways.

It's not any inherent defect in the GOL method, the guy just misjudged his  cut, and things went a bit wrong. Now maybe they could have then pulled the tree down without uprooting any more, but if they weren't leave trees, then no real harm done.

Good feature of that felling technique is that if something does go wrong, you are already well away from the stump and taking large steps in the other direction. Not at the stump making final adjustments as the tree starts moving.

So it wasn't the plan that was flawed, it was a small mistake in the execution of it. At least when things went bad, no one got hurt.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

RHP Logging

The guy slowly walked away from the tree not even knowing it went sideways until he turned around. The problem with gol is you release all the momentum at once which puts more strain on the hinge. He had more wood on the hold side then the low side. It just looked like he didn't compensate for the lean in anyway. Staying at the stump to steer a tree is not wrong in certain cases. Especially when you're not sure how the tree is going to move in the first place. Cut a little at a time, watch the top move, etc and proceed. Unless of course it had a lot of head lean then you better be all set and ready to go. I could argue against bore cutting all day. I almost never do it and all I cut is hardwood.  Just have to know how to manipulate the wood, watch the tree move, and be safe at the same time. It can be done. For all the guy knew in the video the tree could have been coming right at him as he released it. He never even looked. That's one big problem I find with the bore cutting crowd.
Buckin in the woods

Gearbox

With that small of a dia. of a tree the weight of the cable should have pulled it over center. Just sawed off the hinge . done it myself a time or two .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

RHP Logging

You must not know anyone who has been killed working in the woods or about production or saving out timber and keeping the residual stand upright. There were mistakes made in the video and the video was posted as something cool that happened. Sure I'm in the woods for the crashing sounds and the thrill of it. The shaking of the ground and the awesome feeling when you've swung some huge timber in the hole and saved out the entire stick. That's what drew me into this buiness.  But my number one goal is to make it home in one piece at the end of the day and if I can spread that knowledge around some I will. I often stay quiet on this site even when I see what I think could be done in better way.  Sometimes a guy has to speak up. Even for the cause of efficiency and making good production if not for safety. It would be stupid to not say anything. Your meth head analogy has nothing to do with this conversation.  Mistakes were made and may cost a guy his life someday if he doesn't know any better. I've got five kids to feed and I sure don't plan on leaving them early for a devil may care attitude.
Buckin in the woods

so il logger

Couldn't have said it better. But your still a green horn to me.  ;D

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

RHP Logging

Yep pretty much. How's your summer going? The high ground has become swamp just like last year.
Buckin in the woods

RHP Logging

Quote from: mike_belben on July 14, 2017, 11:48:20 PM
I know two. 

Should probably unquote me.  Im not popular with the moderator apparently.

It's not hard to do on this site. I've deleted many cuss words before posting.
Buckin in the woods

RHP Logging

Wow this got edited a little. Ya know there's keeping a standard and then there's outright censorship to paint a prettier picture of the truth. That's a big reason why this site bothers me. I'm sure this will be gone too.  Not even sure why some quotes had to be removed. How does one guy know I'm talking to him?
Buckin in the woods

123maxbars

Have been away from the pc the last day while this post/thread has turned into wrestlemania,

I talked to my friends, (the loggers in the video) and they stated this was a clear cut job so all the timber has to come down.

I appreciate the constructive advice given on this thread and will pass it along. 

This happened and happens in the woods with different loggers in the world everyday. In this instance it was just captured on video by a sawyer that makes videos in
his spare time. 

I would more than wager that if you critics (those that get upset and name call/label etc)  here had a camera showing their bad days that the response would be the same. And in contrast like I have, they would learn and see their short comings if seen from another set of  eyes, this eye being a camera. I would encourage those people to grab a camera and put their selves out there like these guys did.  However for the most part it resulted in only to have egg thrown in their faces. 

Instead of replies lets see your work on video.

outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Chop Shop

Quote from: 123maxbars on July 15, 2017, 12:54:33 PM
Instead of replies lets see your work on video.

Most folks are too busy WORKING to run a camera.   They only have time to respond here when its dark, machines are broke or waiting on the next JOB.

The fellas that dont have time to broadcast their life are usually the guys you want to learn from.  If you can keep up.

Jeff

Quote from: RHP Logging on July 15, 2017, 12:46:26 PM
Wow this got edited a little. Ya know there's keeping a standard and then there's outright censorship to paint a prettier picture of the truth. That's a big reason why this site bothers me. I'm sure this will be gone too.  Not even sure why some quotes had to be removed. How does one guy know I'm talking to him?

Ive not been on today, so I don't know what is going on, but listen to me now and listen to me close. You know the rules here. If an admin remove language or did an edit, it was because you crossed the lines of conduct that we drew long ago. If you want to say censorship to me, you are on the verge of getting yourself a new place to visit.  THIS IS MY PRIVATE PROPERTY. You are here because I allow it. There is no freedom of speech here, there is only the line of conduct I draw, just like I do at my front door.  You visit my home and try to cross the lines of conduct that you will learn exists by simply being my guest and you will find yourself bounced out into the street with a knot on your head.   
Like I said, I have no idea what was posted, and at this point I don't care, because that word censor you decided to use just negated anything else I might have been concerned with. If this site bothers you, you just let me know again, because you have a choice, and so do I.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!