iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw power unit

Started by Blaszer, August 09, 2018, 05:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaszer

Ok folks....Ive had enough of running my mill with a tractor and have a 4 cylinder JD engine with an over-center clutch on it.....Being that its direct drive, I'm assuming its going to turn the same rpm as the engine( 16-1700)    My blade is meant to run 540 rpm, what are some ideas to slow my roll??? ?? 

armechanic

You will have to use pulleys to adjust the speed If your engine runs 1700 rpm and saw runs 540 you will need a pulley on the saw that is 3.15 times bigger than the one on the power unit.  3.15 to 1.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

bandmiller2

Blaszer, armechanic is right you must slow your arbor down to your hammered speed. Please don't try to run it direct. How many HP is your power unit.?? If the engine is low HP you must run in its power band for max power. If its a large engine you can afford to let it loaf at a lower RPM's. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Blaszer

The unit is 80 horse..I ended up finding all the pulleys and hubs I'll need at mcmaster car for about $300..... Not bad considering I scored the engine and over center clutch for free!

bandmiller2

Blazer, be sure you have enough belts to transfer 80 hp. There are charts or formulas in the belt and pulley catalogs, they tend to over do the belting, but it will give you a good idea. My mill uses 6 "D" series belts for a 100 hp diesel. Frank C.

moodnacreek

80 h.p. is plenty for a bellsaw. How are you reversing the engine rotating?

bandmiller2

Moodnacreek brings up an important point a normal turning engine will be turning the wrong way on the back side of a Belsaw. If you belt up to the back side of the engine with a jackshaft, that is with the radiator facing the mill, your rotation will be correct. A jack shaft with "U" joints is better for the arbor anyways. Pulley and multiple tight belts puts a side strain on a smallish arbor. Frank C.

Blaszer

Well heres my idea, tell me how off the wall it is......I have the original belt pulley for the saw....I also have a spare belt pulley from my dads Farmall M....  When we ran an old silage blower off the M, in order to get the right direction on the blower we would put a twist in the belt...In my mind, this is no different ..

bandmiller2

Blazer, that will work but theirs still the strain on the arbor from a side load. As the flat belt waves and flaps from no load to load it will likely cause the saw to chatter in the guides. You have everything try it. Usually you can get away with +/- 50 rpm's from the saw hammered speed. The best lashup if your going to use a tractor is a "U" jointed PTO shaft with a slip clutch. Frank C.

Meadows Miller

Gday 

If it where me I'd be inclined to either put a counter shaft under the mill with the motor on the front side of the mill 

I have also seen it done with a truck tyre and a flat belt pulley that will get you on the rpms you need 

Regards Chris 
4TH Generation Timbergetter

moodnacreek

Turn the power unit 180 and extend the cross members to mount a shaft along side and belted to the unit. Cut, machine and weld parts from a pick up truck sized drive shaft [with slip yoke] to end of bell saw mandrel. This is the best [and most amount of work]  way to do it. No over hung load and no alignment problems with this set up.

Don P

Turn the power unit 90 degrees, hook to a rear end with ~3:1 gear ratio.

That's one way but I'm thinking I'll use a 12" pulley on the engine and 36" tire on the mandrel and give that a try on mine.

moodnacreek

That little 1 3/4 " mandrel won't take much abuse. I bent one once trying to make a 6" flat belt stop slipping.  This bell saw is being operated today on a tractor pto. The parts to assemble the set up I mention are still here somewhere.

Blaszer

A buddy of mine mounted his engine over the top of the arbor and blade with the front of the engine facing the saw operator....Ran belts on 3 groove pulleys and had no problems....Only differance is, he had a small gas 4 cyl........Ive got a heavy diesel 4cyl..

Thank You Sponsors!