for turners and do you sell any wholesale ? I have a two car garage
i am think of selling out of as i will have room for the wood and the
wifes car, must have room for it if i want to sleep in the house. Any
ideas will be appreciated.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

J_T

Beleave it or not I put my mill together to saw for the woodworking folks  8)As i though it would be a good use of wood that someone could take pride in making things.Am planning on getting back on that track someday . So far I been sawing cross tyes and 2x8's not my idia of fun  ::) Have sold a lot of cherry logs lately I would of rather seen go to woodworkers or to someone to dry and resale every one need's to make a little  8) I say go for it if you can make a buck and have fun at the same time great 8)
Jim Holloway

CHARLIE

I'm not sure how it is in Missouri, but in Minnesota and Wisconsin there is so much free wood, that I don't buy wood at all unless it is unique. By unique, I mean exotic wood, highly figured wood (ie. burles, birdseye, curly or flame maple) or wood that I can't get in this area.  Most of my turnings are from cherry, oak, maple, boxelder and walnut which are locally available. So unless you have some unique wood to offer, I'm not sure how much you'll sell.  Be sure to seal all the wood you cut for woodturners with a heavy coat or two of "end grain sealer"
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

crtreedude

That is interesting Charlie - I was wondering about that. I have part of a barn full of scraps from building two houses recently - much of it would be great for turning. I am even thinking of buying a lathe just to fool around. I loved doing it when I was younger. Bowls and such make really nice gifts I am thinking.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

thedeeredude

sawwood,
   I think you could develop a good niche market.  If you sell turning blanks, or you could get one of those lathe duplicators and sell preturned objects you can't get at box stores and on top of that make them of local or exotic woods.

sawwood

I know most turners only like free wood and there is a lot around
just for the picking. I have two lathes i use for turning, The old
Delta/Rockwell i use to sand and finish my turnings. At our club i
hear the guys say they sure would like to have some supply wood
and some that do segmented turnings need dry lumber to make
there bowls. so i am going to start planning buying and selling
blocks and lumber. May not much money but enjoy the wood side
of it,

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

CHARLIE

Sawwood, I certainly understand it when you say you just enjoy the wood side of it. There's a lot more in life that just turning a buck and making certain needs available to woodturners will give you a lot of satisfaction I'm sure.

CRTreeDude, You are correct!  Woodturning is a blast and you can make a lot of gifts from very small scraps of just about any kind of wood.  I've turned many a thing from some western cedar scraps I saved from my deck when it was built......and sold some of the turnings. There is more than just bowls that make neat gifts.  Bottle Stoppers, different types of ornaments, pens, tops etc, etc, etc, etc.......... :)  I've gotten so I have a hard time throwing away any of my scraps because I look at it and say to myself (not out loud though ;D ) "I can make something out of this.....better save it."  Now I'm inundated with scraps.

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Frank_Pender

Cahrlie, that is my main problem, nothing is scrap and this place looks it.   I do have a fella just across the Columbia River that has been help some in removing some of my scrap (metal for now). 8) 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

SwampDonkey

Wood is never scrap. Gee Whiz!! Don't throw that away, I might need to make a tool handle out of that 4 x 1 inch piece of cherry. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gunny

Les:

Your big old slab of that ancient Hard Maple is down to 16% MC right now and will stay in the chamber for the next load of Red Oak and Cherry that goes in Tuesday.  We have, maybe, 6 of those left (most are ~24" wide at 8/4 thick but we have two that are 12/4 ).

Got a gnarly old Walnut I'm doing in 8/4 X ~12.  Happy to look for anything you'd like and make it worth both our time, plus get your club some dandy stock while we're at it.  Just email me at home and we'll go from there.

Be dry that way!

Thank You Sponsors!