iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picked up the LT28 Today

Started by Qweaver, April 01, 2010, 11:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwsjr

Qweaver,

The first mill I had was a LT40G28 with log deck package. I mounted a Warn 3800 winch in place of hand winch, used a battery on ground under mill, recharged overnight. I had same problem you are having with one end of log coming up before the other.  I believe not having the center of the weight of the log directly on the turner was my problem. Not necessarly the midpoint of log, but midpoint of weight. Just a thought. I am not sure the rollers are a lot of help. I have had rollers on all my mills.

Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Magicman

Sometimes a large or odd shaped cant/log is tough to turn, no matter how many rollers you have.  I often have to pull the bottom out with the log clamp and stuff like that.  Cant hooks never go out of style..... ;D   They are your friends..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Qweaver

I love my Logrite too, but when you are 65 with a broken back and a cranky hip, and your helpers are 68 and 76, well... that log turner starts looking better and better and one of the main reason that I bought this mill. :D
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Magicman

Quote from: Qweaver on April 06, 2010, 11:32:53 AM
but when you are 65 with a broken back and a cranky hip, and your helpers are 68 and 76  :D 

For a second there, I thought that you were talking about me......but then I remembered that I am 66..... smiley_old_guy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trapper

Magicman  i am in your camp  66 also and back in 87 broke 2 vertbrae when i dumped my bike.  I am lucky they bother me very little.  My kids say they will just keep rebuilding me.  rods in my back plate in ankle and glass eye.  Also the doc told me  I didnt need the kneycap he took out when it was shadered.
I was thinking also about replacing the  manual winch on my lt30 with an electric.  Instead I use a half inch electric drill to run the winch.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

timberjackrob

i usually have trouble after my first turn . the first turn works perfect when put the first flat side against the back supports. its when i make the second turn it starts to turn but wants to climb up on top of the back supports.i have found that if you have two people one can hold out on the turner as it comes up to keep it from striking the log to low and just raising it up instead of turning it. ive tried every adjustment on the turner but not much change.the eletric winch works great i only use the turner on large logs or long heavy logs the rest of the time i use the logritescant hooks . iwould use the turner more if it worked better.let me know if you get the rollers,im interested if they work.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Magicman

Maybe you need a "Magicman's Handy Dandy Log Turner Holder Outer"....... :)

Rope with a hook on the end

Hook it to the turner and loop the rope over the loader (or something) and back to you.  Now you can hold the turner out and place it on the log in just the right spot...... :)

timberjackrob

i knew there was a reason to login one more time before i went bed, thanks magicman.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

backwoods sawyer

Magic you beet me to that one. I have the chain turner so that is not an issue with my mill, but the back supports do like to grab ahold of some of the larger logs, western red cedar can be problematic. I keep a couple 24" long pieces if steel pipe that slips over the back supports in the truck. Straight pipe can push the log to far over, so I heated them up and bent them back at about 15* angle so they slide all the way down on the back supports.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on April 07, 2010, 01:19:46 AM
I keep a couple 24" long pieces if steel pipe that slips over the back supports in the truck. Straight pipe can push the log to far over, so I heated them up and bent them back at about 15* angle so they slide all the way down on the back supports.

I like that idea.....  :)    What size pipe?   Pop us a picture.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Magicman on April 06, 2010, 10:35:50 PM
Hook it to the turner and loop the rope over the loader (or something) and back to you.  Now you can hold the turner out and place it on the log in just the right spot...... :)

I use a bungee strap and hook it to the chain on my log loader, then by adjusting the height of my log loader or the link on the chain it is hooked to, I can move the turner in or out a little.....so that it will hit the log in the correct spot to turn it. Sometimes the turner will go right under odd shaped logs, and you need to pull it back and up.....these are the things you have to do when you work alone.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

MartyParsons

The log support rollers work well. We have had many owners change to the kits and I get feed back with a thumbs up. Wood-Mizer had bearings on the first design kits and they always seem to be locked up. They now have a machined roller with a brass bushing. When servicing the mill I try to remove the roller and put never seize on the bushing.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

dovetails

I use 3" PVC . Light weight,easy to spot it in the sawdust pile,and don't hurt your foot as bad as a metal pipe when you kick it!
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Qweaver

Just another point on the LT28 as an upgrade from the LT15.  We resawed/edged today and I'd guess it to be twice as fast (or better) as on my LT15. 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Dan_Shade

really?  I thought they were basically the same machine, with a different frame.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Qweaver

My LT15 is a 2004 year model. The newer LT15 may have some of these also. I don't know.
Here is a list of things that the new LT28 do better or easier for me.
1. One central log clamp is fast and easy to use and it holds the boards for resaw well.
2. Power feed and return
3. Up/Down mechanism much easier and faster to operate.
4. Log turner works OK.  I'm having a little problem with it but way better that not having one.
5. Toe boards work great.
6. Cuts 21' logs without an extra bed extention.
7. Ramps and winch to load logs. I will not use this much.
8. 25HP standard.
9. Trailer mounted.
10. Able to cut and easily turn bigger logs
Also, I have never been able to cut and resaw 1400BdFt in one day on my LT15.  We did that the first day that we sawed with the LT28.
My LT15 did a great job for sawing logs to build my cabin and out buildings.  But we are now going to be sawing mainly as a business and the LT28 will make us much more profitable for that.

Dan_Shade

that makes sense.  I forgot how much my life improved when I got the toe rollers!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Brucer

Edging is a lot easier and more comfortable when the flitches are at waist height instead of knee height.

Qweaver, I've had problems with the end of the log lifting both on my original manual LT40 (similar turner to yours) and on my hydraulic mill. The difference with the hydraulic mill is that you can very quickly move the turner up and down to kind of inch the log around.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!