iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nyle DH4000 automatic vent wiring

Started by Dan_Shade, October 20, 2012, 03:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I have a nyle DH4000, i've installed the automatic vent fan, but I can't figure out how to wire the thing.

the instructions say connect TB3 and TB17 to the fan motor.  I can find TB3, but where is TB17?

the front of my control unit looks like this:

This is the inside of the control unit:

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

scsmith42

Dan, as I recall from my older Woodmizer DH4000, TB typically refers to "terminal Block".

You might want to check the terminal blocks that are installed inside of the DH unit itself, instead of the controller box to see if TB17 is present on that end.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dan_Shade

it's not there either!

I am wondering if it's supposed to be directly wired to one of the control blocks.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

scsmith42

Very possible.  One side of the vent will require power, the other some type of trigger.

Dan_Shade

TB3 is power. 

I don't know how they intend to trigger it. 

scsmith42

Typically the vents are triggered from a high temperature situation. 

I looked inside my operators manual, and back when my unit was made Nyle provided a separate thermostat controller for operating the powered vent fans.  This additional thermostat was by Johnson Controls and located inside the kiln chamber.  It was wired to TB3 and TB6 inside the DH4000 controller, and the powered vents were wired to the thermostat.

If your system does not have a thermostat, you  might look at the terminals on the PLC on the right (the one labeled "temperature" on the front of the case) to see if 17 is present there. 

Dan_Shade

Is yours a DH4000?   If it needs to attach to the temp block, I need to figure out which terminal

scsmith42

Dan, yes mine is a DH4000. 

Did your power vent kit include a separate thermostat to mount inside of the kiln chamber?  If not, then it has to be a function of the temperature PLC.

Dan_Shade

I talked to Don Lewis at the Richmond Show, he said since mine is a woodmizer unit, I didn't need the seperate board/sensor.

So, I do not have a second temp sensor.

The controllers on my unit are Partlow 1160+ models

scsmith42

Dan, I think that all DH4000's are Woodmizer units that Nyle built for Woodmizer.

Why dont you PM or e-mail me your phone number?  I'll pull my manual and you can pull yours and we'll compare notes?

Scott

DR_Buck

Sorry Dan,  but you do need a separate temperature sensor.    I have the DH 4000 and bought the over temp fan kit directly from Nyle and it contained a separate temperature controller and sensor.   I'll take a look at my documentation tonight and see what I can find.   

BTW- Got your voice mail but I was riding  the Spyder on the Skyline Drive and had no cell coverage at the time to call you back.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Dan_Shade

To follow up, I head to install the Honeywell controller.  I put a load of white oak in on Sunday that had been air drying for a while.  I have the vent temp set a few degrees higher than the unit setting.  It was working like a champ when I checked it after work today.

I set the on at 2 degrees higher than the setting, the diff setting was  at 5.  I lowered it to 3, because the humidity in the box had drastically dropped.

Thank You Sponsors!