iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

(Poplar) POPLAR SAW LOGS

Started by thumper, February 20, 2010, 12:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thumper

My friend is cutting popple on a little woodlot right near a secondary rd. i have heard there is a market for poplar sawlogs and the pay is almost double, these are the biggest trees ive ever seen here and the straightest. i dont know the specs or info but if we have sawlog quality around here, this is it!  Im in Aroostook county Maine, if anyone has info for us please let us know, thank you..    swampdonkey??? lol  ???
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

Qweaver

Are you certain that it is Popple (Quaking or Trembling Aspen )? This is a very weak wood and not much use as a construction lumber.  Yellow Poplar is a better wood but still not one of strongest.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

thumper

its (quaking trembling) and balm of gilead.  i dont think they are millling it for lumber, my guess wood be trim and somone said veneer? idk they chip the tree length for plywood.
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

Aroostooksawyer

Columbia forest products in Presque Isle bought some aspen logs from me, a few  years ago for veneer.I don't believe anyone else buys aspen saw logs here in the county.Price was about double what LP mill was paying.

Maine372

veneer mills will use aspen for the interior plys of hardwood plywood. it also dries very hard. ive heard of people using it for flooring. not much character, but you arent scared to let your 400 lb aunt walk across it in spike heels.

its been years since ive seen anyone buying but that doesnt mean they arent out there. i know they wanted all white wood. any brown heart is bad. good luck. get it out before the roads get posted.

simonmeridew

balm Gilead is not a strong wood, very heavy with water and quite stringy when you machine it. Horse barn flooring and rails works good. Boy it grows straight and big though.
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!