Double Sawing w/Lucas

Started by logboy, November 04, 2011, 10:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logboy

Last night I was thinking how I wished I could cut wider boards with my Lucas 827 without having to lift 400 pounds of powerhead.  Has anyone tried removing the guards and double sawing like a Peterson? I have to believe it is a faster way of double sawing as no lifting is required.  On the downside the guards are all removed.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

beenthere

Can you do that without "climb" sawing coming back?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Quote from: beenthere on November 04, 2011, 10:31:06 AM
Can you do that without "climb" sawing coming back?

You reverse direction of the horizontal cut when you are cutting from the other side.

Not sure on the practicality of removing the Lucas guards though? Will the design actually allow you to cut from the other side, even wiht some parts removed?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

logboy

In theory? Isnt that how the Peterson works?  I've only been around one Peterson.

Nomad

Looking at my 1030, I see you'd have to remove a couple of side guards.  However, your depth of cut (IE the thickness of the board you'd be limited to) from the "wrong" side would only be about an inch.  Personally I wouldn't try it.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

logboy

Nomad, how do you like your 1030?

Nomad

Logboy, sorry it's taken me so long to reply.  I like my 1030 a lot!  The only complaint I have is loading it into my pickup.  I could sure use some ideas on doing that alone.  In fact I think that's worth a post of it's own.  So...
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

chainsaw_louie

Hi,

This is an interesting topic, I found some information elsewhere (woodweb.com) that pertains to this discussion.  The thought of 16" wide quarter sawn boards is a very tempting thought:

"was thinking about a wedge, or even a flat bar to take the weight of a heavy one just as the saw exits. So I guess you've concluded that it's more important to maintain the cutting directions than to worry about dropping the boards on the blade?

From contributor M:
Actually I put the wedge in at the beginning of the horizontal cut on big beams, as the Lucas has what is called a "riving knife" which is a 3/16" plate attached right behind the blade which keeps the kerf open where the blade is cutting. This is the reason that the Lucas needs the mill to be rotated to make a double wide cut. I have been told that some Lucas guys are removing the riving knife with no ill effects and are able to make the wide cuts without rotating.

From contributor C:
Peterson has a riving knife, too. They can do the big double cut without turning the head around because the motor doesn't sit over the blade like the Lucas.

From contributor A:
Contributor C, how can the return cut be operated with a following riving knife attached? Personally I would never remove this attachment. For one thing, if there was any incident for which an insurance claim was made then it would immediately be voided by this tampering with essential safety equipment. And second I don't find the head rotation that difficult even with one man. Just put on the wheels, drop the ground, unhook and rotate, replace, wind up to original level. I'm nearly always with 1-3 mm of off side cut which I find acceptable. The whole process is about 45 seconds. This is only used for the 2 or maximum 4 boards either side of the heart to maintain quarter-sawn properties. Otherwise it's a waste of time and wood.

I must say to all the Peterson owners that I certainly don't like the idea of horizontal cutting towards you when walking backwards over uncertain terrain. You can fall and your legs can be thrown into the saw - massive injury if not permanent incapacity. Too much of a risk. "

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Oneman_swing_milling.html

-Tim

Dakota

Here's an idea about lifting and swinging your saw head.  I bought the little winch at Costco for $50.  Lifting straps are just motorcycle tie downs.

Dave Rinker

Silver_Eagle

That is a slick set up Dakota.