iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I finally found a shed

Started by thecfarm, January 24, 2019, 02:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

May not be a big deal to some,but it's the first one for me. Kinda looks like a witches first finger,knuckle and all.   ;D  Not a pretty one,but it counts. I am always looking,but have never had the luck to find one.
As some of you might of seen my thread,feeding the deer,I've been doing it for 20 years. Them critters have some well beaten paths to follow into the bog and woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

I've only ever found one, Ray!

The one I found had 3 points, and that was probably 20 years ago!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

I only found part of one also in Albany Ga when I was stationed there. It was pretty well chewed and I understand the squirrels and such eat them up pretty quickly so if you don't find them fresh shed they disappear quickly.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

hacknchop

I have always been on the lookout for sheds when I'm working and walking around our place never found one . I now have a 13 yr old grandson who wants to build a little cabin back behind the house a ways so I took him and my wife for a walk to show them a nice spot and she says to me as were walking back "hey Terry what's that" and yup our first shed , I've been trying to find one since I first came here when I was 19 she finds one first time out and wasn't even looking for one.
Often wrong never indoubt

sawguy21

So I'm a little slow, it took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

garyfg

Found one in a front tractor tire raking hay.

DDW_OR

train your dog to find the sheds.
"let the machines do the work"

Hilltop366

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 25, 2019, 12:36:08 AM
So I'm a little slow, it took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. ;D
Me too, my first thought was "he has a saw mill, why doesn't he just build a shed?"

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

as in shed antlers.  

Ive never found a shed but have found probably 4 whole deer from coyotes.  One was a nice six, he donated them for my rattlers. 
Praise The Lord

JPMcCullum

That's awesome! I manage to find a pretty good pile every year. It's one of my favorite things to do outside of hunting season. South facing hillsides and fence and creek crossings are tried and true places to find them. 

DDW_OR

good to know. there are a couple 5x5 and a 6x6 elk in this area

thecfarm

I mentioned in another thread about seeing a deer with one horn!! Quite a sight it is. I was doing my nightly feeding and thought I only saw one horn,but I could not get the light on him before he took off. I had today off so I went and fed them,hoping he would come out and he did.
First time I find a shed,first time I ever seen a deer with one horn.

WV Sawmiller

I studied wildlife biology at AU and we had a series of sheds from a buck they had in the pen there. They had 10-12 years worth from small uneven spikes to big 8&10 points around the 3 & 4 year mark. He may have had 12 or more points later but the size of the main beams actually got smaller. One neat feature was he had a unique symmetry with a bit of an odd twist to his main beams. Even though the number of points varied and the size of the main beams varied, remember this was a pen raised deer with all he wanted to eat so no competition for food like in the wild, the same twist was present every year.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

I think he is hornless now. I found another shed!! 8)  
In the other thread about feeding the deer,I dropped some maples down for firewood. I took some of the big wood and left the tops for the deer. I kinda figured he would get rooting around and it would fall off.  smiley_thumbsup This was a much bettter one,4 points.

Texas Ranger

I have on occasion over the years found complete deer skeletons in the woods, more often just skulls.  Many sheds, many of which show rodent carving.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Wudman

I have a beagle that probably brought 15 drops into the yard last year.  She loved finding them.  Unfortunately, she got after the neighbors chickens about a year ago and I can't let her free-range now.  I have about 5 acres inside an underground fence and she will still find one on occasion inside of that.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

mike_belben

My sheds ran off today.  I had a buck head sitting in the yard that the coyotes fished thru a little hole in the fence.  They must be hungry cuz that thing stunk. 
Praise The Lord

starmac

I have found them, more elk than deer, but never actively hunted them. I knew several people that would spend a few weeks every year camped and gathering sheds, they earned pretty good money for them. The one I knew best rode horse back on a little mare and had a dog that found them for him.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Klicker

The first one I found on my own land was in the rear tire of my tractor :D :D not. I noticed it when I got sprayed  when driving.
2006 LT 40 HD

MacDiarmada7

Greetings, My favorite way to go shed hunting especially this time of year is to accompany my Akita {oscar-mike} into the lower mountains and hike the ridges and canyons. there is still snow and a lot of mud so it makes tracking Elk very easy. I get onto some fresh BIG tracks =Bull tracks and follow them keeping an eye out while watching my K-9's behavior. I usually find fresh sheds on the sunny south facing sides of canyons. Or on the flat tops and benches above the canyons . A wonderful way to spend a early spring day.
Just remember to bring a lg duffle bag and some big dog treats !!!

*Congratulations Cfarm*
Is maith an t-anlann an t-ocras {hunger is good sauce}

My arsenal :High Mountain Husky Dynasty
262xp, 371/372XP, 562XP, 550xp II , 357XP, 346XP, 350/346xp top end, 55Rancher , 445 xtorq, 435 xtorq

thecfarm

I found another one. Nothing great,but it is stil a shed. Just a curved horn,nopoints. This was where I feed the deer. Lucky my dog did not find it!!! That would make the 3rd one. Wed I would like to follow the trails. Never had no luck in past years. But maybe this is the year. Been doing good this year.

Texas Ranger

Best find I have had was an entire buck skeleton still articulated, why the hogs and coyotes never got it was a surprise to me.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DDW_OR

Quote from: thecfarm on February 07, 2019, 06:27:21 PM
I mentioned in another thread about seeing a deer with one horn!! Quite a sight it is. I was doing my nightly feeding and thought I only saw one horn,but I could not get the light on him before he took off. I had today off so I went and fed them,hoping he would come out and he did.
First time I find a shed,first time I ever seen a deer with one horn.
here is a spike elk with one up and one down
probably got bent when in Velvet.

thecfarm

Now that is different.
Just to be clear,one horn had fell off and one horn was still on. I had been watching him and each night I would tell him to drop his horns where I was feeding him to show some appreciation.  :D  Than I saw him with one horn. This was in reply#14. I cut down a maple tree and I thought I would get the horn and I did. I figured he would get into the limbs and knock the horn off.

Thank You Sponsors!