iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flooded cylinder

Started by luvmexfood, November 03, 2014, 09:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

While in the woods does anyone have any suggestions on how to clear a flooded cylinder?
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

JohnG28

Dump out all you can through the plug hole first if it's that bad. Then take a lighter or match to the plug hole from the side and it should pop and burn off a good bit of the fuel. Careful not to drop any of the match into the cylinder if you use one. Turn it over and do that once or twice if needed. This has worked for me a few times.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

7sleeper

Don't use a lighter or match!

Take out the plug, pull through the starter about half a dozen to a dozen times, dry the plug and reinsert. Start the saw.

Al_Smith

Ahem,the one thing you don't want to ever do is catch a saw on fire .Not good .

JohnG28

How would you catch a saw on fire burning out what is in the cylinder?  I don't suggest it if you have spilled fuel all over the thing, but with the plastic off and just the top of the cylinder I don't see the issue?  ??? Have done this twice just to try and it worked.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

Take my word for it ,you don't want to catch a chainsaw on fire by any method ,intentional or other wise .If you are ever unfortunate to experiance it you'll know exactly what I mean .

Okay after having said that here's a safe method .Pull the plug ,held the throttle wide open and pull it over until no more fuel blows out the plug hole .Put the plug back in ,hold the throttle wide open and pull it over .Leave the air filter on because if it back fires through the carb it will spray gas which could in fact light  off the saw .How do I know this ,because I've done it and fires up the saw then things get rather heated in a hurry .

JohnG28

I assume you mean a magnesium case saw? I can see why that would be an issue I suppose.

Grandedog

Howdy,
I would have to agree with Al on this one except I now make sure the switch is off before I pull it over to clear. (don't ask)
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

ktowne030311

take the spark plug cap off and gently set it back on top of the plug (to where it doesnt pop back on) and give her a few pulls. it will send an arch twice as hot, and it should fire first couple of pulls. pop cap back on and your good to go :)
McCulloch 5-49, Ms290/390 frankenstein, 030av, 051av

HolmenTree

I've only gone as far as holding the throttle wide open and pull the rope  to clear a flooded cylinder as I've done a few times with my 562XP on a hot day.

But speaking of starting fires :D 
A long time ago when I was a young logger and carried a pack of cigarettes,  a few times when I had no  matches or lighter I improvished.
I'd pull out the spark plug of my Jonsereds,  reattach the spark plug boot/wire. Dip a piece of the tin foil paper from the cig package in the gas tank. Put the wet foil between the plug and metal top cover and crank the motor over.....presto a light for my cigarette.
With a little practice I could do the whole procedure in less then a minute. Thank goodness I no longer need to do that, been smoke free since 1989.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HiTech

Best way I know is to hold the trigger in the wide open position and pull the rip cord with the other hand. At least it works for us.

Al_Smith

Oh yes do indeed deactivate the magneto .Case in point flooded 1937 John Deere B which belonged to my dear and now departed friend .He left the gas valve on ,funky carb .Filled both cylinders full of gas ,hydraulic lock .

I pulled the plugs big old AC's   .Rolled it over and shot about a pint of gas out .Like dummy I had left the plug wires dangle.Wico Roto fire mag that would blow about 1" of spark,poof .Thanks to a near by garden hose got the fire out before it did any damage .Could have been bad . :o

luvmexfood

Setting here reading these replies and a thought came to me. What if I got one of those cans of compressed air like you use to blow out a computer keyboard with and carry in the truck. Course truck is pretty full of stuff. Don't have a toolbox in the bed. I'm short and would then have to carry a small step ladder to get in it.

Oliver1655

7sleeper & All Smith answers are the way I have done it for years. 

-  Remove the sparkplug
-  Normally there is not enough fuel to turn the engine upside down to drain out but as it only takes a few seconds to do, why not check.
-  With the kill switch & the choke in the off positions, pull the starter several times. (No spark plug = no compression = easy pulling.)
-  Replace spark plug
-  Flip the kill switch to on/run
-  Hold the trigger to full throttle & pull until starts. (Use decompress button as appropriate.)

The cylinder then cycles freely which means easy pulling. 
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

Joe Hillmann

I have a chainsaw that is prone to flooding out.  The only surefire ways to get it to start after it is flooded it to pull the plug out and let it sit for several hours to let the gas evaporate or to bring it in and pull the plug and blow compressed air into the cylinder.  If you are earning your living with it and it won't start it could cost you a days wages.  I think having a can of compressed air available is a great and cheap insurance to have with you out in the woods.

luvmexfood

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on November 07, 2014, 11:25:55 AM
I have a chainsaw that is prone to flooding out.  The only surefire ways to get it to start after it is flooded it to pull the plug out and let it sit for several hours to let the gas evaporate or to bring it in and pull the plug and blow compressed air into the cylinder.  If you are earning your living with it and it won't start it could cost you a days wages.  I think having a can of compressed air available is a great and cheap insurance to have with you out in the woods.

Yep. I learned that. Have an old Stihl 029 that I was logging with that wasn't that dependable. Would lose cutting time periodically due to it. Last straw was when I went to the woods to saw, put on chaps, got my gas and oil and carried it down in the woods to cut. Wouldn't start when I got to the timber I was going to cut. Next day I went and bought an Echo 590. Should have done it a year earliar. Knocked about a third of the time off of what it took me to fall some trees. Bent the bar on my Echo the other day so got the Stihl out of the truck to use for the rest of the day. Had used it a little along just to keep the carb clean etc. Wouldn't start. Nothing more aggravating than pulling on a starter be it a lawnmower, weedeater or saw and it not starting.

Al_Smith

If a saw won't start cold it is usually a fuel delivery problem no matter if it's an 029 Stihl or some model of Echo .Usually a funky carb .Given enough time that Echo will be a red headed stepchild .

Flooding on a saw is just the difference in saws .They might be all sisters but they all have their own personality which no matter who made it or what model you have to figure out .Saws by the way are lot easier to figure out than women who are claimed to all be sisters .Nothing was ever said that is farther from the truth but I love em all .Saws too . :)

LeeB

I think the saws are probably less dangerous.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WmFritz

I don't know a bit about anything in the sister saw family.

But, being from the 2- stroke clan, I know a little about their cousins,  snowmobile engines.
Whenever I encounter a hard cold starting, plug fouling sled motor,  the first thing I look towards is the compression. A good compression gauge will tell me the condition of the top end anyway. If the compression checks out, then I'm pulling the carbs down.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

luvmexfood

Quote from: LeeB on November 07, 2014, 10:11:16 PM
I think the saws are probably less dangerous.

I like that. So true of some women. Last one I seriously was involved with I ended up placing over 50 felony charges in one county and 5 in another. That was over 2 years ago and she still is awaiting trial in this county on the 50 and is awaiting sentencing in the other county.

Did agree for some to be dismissed if she testified against someone else for a more serious charge. You never know someone. Try to help them and they end up stealing you blind.

Thank You Sponsors!