iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Embossing" a product.

Started by Dave Shepard, January 26, 2013, 08:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

For lack of a better term. I've put down hardwood flooring that had the manufacturers name stamped on the bottom. It wasn't in ink, but actually cut into the wood. I was wondering if anybody knew anything about the process. Thanks.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It is done with a metal stamp on a wheel.  With heat, it works better.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Cypressstump

I have seen custom made ones that use your design, they build a 'stamp' with handle. Can get them heated or not, the electrically heated ones burn into the wood very nicely.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If you do not get the stamp (also called a die) too hot (maybe 250 F max.), then the wood will not burn, but may get a little brownish in color.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Dave Shepard

What I'm thinking of is more like what WoodDoc is talking about, a stamp on some sort of roller. I was just wondering if it was a stand alone thing, or mounted somewhere inside a moulder.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Mounted near the molding machine outlet.

Dave Shepard

Any idea who makes them? I have a product I'd like to put a name or web address on. Thanks.

pep

Dave

Check out Lee Valley Tools.  You can have a custom stamp made for around 200.00

Cheers

Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Thank You Sponsors!