iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New guy that cant figure out a tree

Started by Jmsvickers, May 17, 2020, 06:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmsvickers

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and live in southern Maryland,  I have been clearing some land and taking trees down from around the house to get some sun and grass to grow (hopefully). One tree I cut I cant figure out what it is, and i have seen more around that have similar leaves but the bark varies alot in texture and color. Any how here is a photo of the one I cut. Oh and disregard the odd cut of the stump, I had to get " inventive" as it got hung up and we had limited options.

Any info would be appreciated, I'm more curious than anything. Thank you!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

Let the stump sprout and youll have deer mowing it down.  
Praise The Lord

Wudman

You will really love it when you go to grub that stump.  It has a taproot about the same diameter headed to China.  They don't come up.....you just shear them off below ground level.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

mike_belben

Question for you @Wudman ..

Will a black gum grow over shallow rock where it cant send a big tap root down?  Does the taproot limit the growth of the trunk or crown?

Theyre prolific here in middle TN but i live on clay over sandstone ledge. Sometimes its 3inches, sometimes 4 or 6 feet.  An indicator tree would be really handy as the oaks will LIE to you!  Very common to have a monster oak blown over with a 20ft rootball that only went down knee deep.  
Praise The Lord

Wudman

It will probably do ok.  It prefers moderate to well drained clays or clay loams.  It is commonly found to about 3,000 feet of elevation on down to the coastal plain terrace.  It does not like alkaline soils, so it doesn't do well over a limestone base.  If it can get a foothold, it will probably spit rock for you. 

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

mike_belben

Ancient turned up trees are precisely where you pick the best weathered fieldstone around here actually.  The tree is usually gone but the mound and hole remain.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!