iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Olive tree removal with saving the wood

Started by Matchstick, November 06, 2017, 12:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matchstick

I have a 3 foot diameter (stump then branches out at 1+  foot limbs) olive tree that i am removing and i want to save the wood. I have removed branches in the past and found it turns to iron in no time. Should I slab it crossgrain or  cut 2-3 foot sections and slab those? Cut and slow dry or  leave as whole since it will be months till final cut? Tree is 1500 miles from home so final storage will be a month after cut.

Hate for all that wood to end in a fireplace.

Thanks for any insight.  :snowball:

Jemclimber

Welcome Matchstick,

What are you going to use this for, turning? Or small flat work projects?  Leave it as long as possible and cut it into boards or slabs the thickness you think you'll be using.  Make sure to get the center(pith) cut out and seal the ends with anchorseal(an emulsified wax coating) or use melted paraffin. Leaving it as long as possible will help reduce the loss to end checking while it dries if the wax doesn't completely stop it.
Tell us what you want to do with this and we can better help you.
lt15

PA_Walnut

As stated, get the ends sealed ASAP with AnchorSeal. (not paint, which doesn't seal as well).
Curious where you are located with olive wood?  ???
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!