iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The wife asked for a GreenHouse

Started by Geeg, August 13, 2016, 05:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geeg

Just finished off the greenhouse drawing for the misses. Now I need to cut some trees down and get to work. Plan is red pine 6x6 and the floor plan is 9'x12'. Polycarbonate 8mm roof with a mix of used windows to keep the costs down. I will post the progress here, wish me luck!.

Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Geeg

Forgot the best part, I managed to get some more tools with the deal, Makita 7104L Chain Mortiser, 3" slick, 2" and 1.5" TF chisel. Ordered a Borneman from the TFG, just waiting for that shipment.

I also drew up ponies that I saw in a magazine, need these since I don't think my cheep horses will stand up to the task. For those of you who use sketchup, I will upload the .skp file here and also in the depository.

Cheers Geeg

Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

glassman_48

Geeg,
I own a glass shop in Michigan, and occasionally our suppliers will put sheets of polycarbonate on sale.  If you don't already have a source, check a local glass shop.  I will also frequently just sell a sheet just above cost instead of retail to help my customers out.  Our sheets here are 48" by 96".  Good luck with your project.

Roger Nair

Geeg, a small matter, turn the tenon 90 degrees that enters the base beam to avoid excessive cross grain loss.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Geeg

Thanks for the info Glassman. That's kind of what I thought to Roger but have a look at the drawing, maybe I missed something?

Jim_Rogers

Mortises have to go with the grain not cross grain:

Jim Rogers

PS tested and passed:

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Geeg

Geeg

Well, I finally broke ground and started on the wife's green house.

This was just a layout with the intended area for the build.

Was able to score some of the windows however still need to find many more.

We ended up putting in two loads, one of pit run and the other was crushed limestone as a base. Also used 2" foam with 6mil polly under the whole foundation.

Got the base down, used 2x6 pressure treated lumber screwed to the pine base with foam.

End of a long day, managed to cut down 4 pines for the project.

thecfarm

Looking good.
I run some metal conduit,½" down the middle of ours. Hooked it up with some small chain that was made for the foor foot lights and all was well to hang the hanging baskets from it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

That's looking nice!  But, there seems to be an awful lot of trees/shade around!  Are you planning to cut some for the build?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Geeg

Quote from: thecfarm on October 09, 2016, 08:08:22 AM
Looking good.
I run some metal conduit,½" down the middle of ours. Hooked it up with some small chain that was made for the foor foot lights and all was well to hang the hanging baskets from it.

That's a great idea!, was thinking of a solar system.

Geeg

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 09, 2016, 12:51:53 PM
That's looking nice!  But, there seems to be an awful lot of trees/shade around!  Are you planning to cut some for the build?

The green house is right on the edge of the tree line, it gets the morning sun and will receive the afternoon sun as well with a little thinning to do. Those red pines around the structure will not cast much of a shadow.

Geeg

Added some more pics of the build.

Putting up the rear bent section.

Shaving a little off for a better fit.

Almost finished raising the bents, little harder when you are doing it all by yourself.

Czech_Made

fishfighter

Geeg

Fitting the knee braces.

I am sure there is an easier way to put these things up?, man that is hard work.

Make sure to use gloves if you will be beating on the wood with a mallet, tend to get blisters, don't ask me how I know.

End of a long day.

Jim_Rogers

Looking good.

More hands make lite work.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Geeg

Have the main structure done, didn't get any of the shots getting the rafters in place or the purlins but the wife did get some video, just have to figure how to upload that to youtube. Got some closeups of some of the joint work, remember this is my first build so be gentle.

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Yes,it does look good. Like the curved supports.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawmilllawyer

Wow! amazing workmanship you sir, are a craftsman.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Savannahdan

Looking nice.  I really like the extended roof. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

fishfighter

Geeg

Thanks very much for the feedback and kind words, much appreciated!.

I am really enjoying this build and have received so much satisfaction and gratification, but probably would not have gotten this far if it was not for this forum to give me the courage, along with all the kind and talented people who share and contribute their knowledge in this great space.

The wife and I are finishing up on the stain, I am staining everything above 5' and her below. I am also preparing the roof to get it under cover for the winter.

Geeg

rasman57

That is a project you both will be proud of.  Great looking build and location.  You did quite well.    It looks "GOODER THAN CHICKEN" like the Barnwood Builder boy on TV says.  Very NICE!

Thank You Sponsors!