iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pressure Cooker Cookin

Started by Jeff, February 28, 2019, 04:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Last October Tammy has a pampered chef cooking party whilst I was in the U.P, hunting. With her rewards she bought their "quick cooker" pressure cooker.  It has been in a box in the closet ever since. Until Tuesday. I decided I'd experiment with it with stuff on hand. Turned out pretty good!  I;m calling this "Pastachile" :)  I made Garlic bread with some left over stale mini sub-buns.

1/2 - 1lb. Pork sausage. Not exactly sure what was in the freezer bag. I'd go with 1lb but it was less.
1 chopped onion
2 minced garlic cloves
Brown meat with garlic and onions on the "sear" setting.
ADD
2 jars ragu garlic and Italian sausage spaghetti sauce.
2 cans beef broth.
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 small sliced zucchini.
1.5 cups rotini pasta
A generous amount of fresh ground pepper. 1/2 teaspoon?

Cook 4 minutes on soup and stew setting, let stand 5, remove pressure. It takes about 10 minutes to come to pressure before it cooks for the 4 minutes

ADD and stir
1/2 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
1 cup baby portobello mushrooms
1 cut chopped spinach. Cook for 2 minutes lid off on soup setting   Delicheo!

I ate the rest of the left overs today and topped it with some shredded mild chedder. BAM! over the top. :)

Tonight I am making beef (stew meat) and brown rice with snow peas. I'll let you know how it goes. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chuck White

Looks real tasty Jeff!

A few weeks back, a friend and his wife gave me a small stove-top pressure cooker and I've been learie of using it, then read the inst. book a few times and tried it a few nights ago.

I left the basket in place, put in 3 frozen chicken drum sticks, 3 or 4 med. potatoes, 2 quartered onions, a few carrots, added a little BBQ sauce, salt and pepper!

I brought it up to steam, then set the kitchen timer for 20 minutes, then when the timer went off, reset the timer for 10 minutes to come down from the pressure, opened it and had a great supper!

This is now on an even keel with cast iron for my favorite cooking pot/pan!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Brenda does alot with her Instant Pot on her youtube channel.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Can you give us a link to the channel Ray?

olcowhand

DanG, that looks good, Jeff!
Keep the recipes coming folks; I have an old aluminum All American (that would qualify for a great garage sale find at $5.00) that we've only used for canning, and I'd love to cook a few meals in it. Any hints about the type of heat to maintain the cooking pressure will help.....
Thanks.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Jeff

This machine is completely automatic.

pabst79

Instapots are life changing, if you like to eat  food2we cooked a 3lb roast in 35min the first time we used ours a few weeks ago, it was amazing. It was like it had been in a crock pot for 8 hours. The taters and parsnips were perfect. 
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Jeff

Tonight's quick cooker experiment. Beef stew meat and brown rice and snow peas. I'll have to adjust it next time and put the peas in after the rice cooks. The peas kinda melded into the rice. it was still really good and even looked good!

AZ_builder

It all looks good! I pressure cook pinto beans pretty regular and tougher cuts of game meat. Usually though, I use it as a pressure canner.

Raider Bill

I use a old style pressure cooker quite a bit I actually have 3. Been mulling over a insta pot.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

luvmexfood

Instant pots are the cats meow. I use mine almost everyday. Throw your stuff in, set the timer and forget it. Turns itself off and keeps it warm. Makes the best meatloaf. Put your stuff in one of the disposable loaf pans, cover tightly with foil and set the timer. One pot spaghetti is also good.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Jeff

This started out Sunday as a pork roast and potatoes.  I dumped some other stuff in with the chunked left overs and let the cooker do its thing.

It was really good!

Raider Bill

My birthday's coming up in May if anyone wanted gift ideas :D :D :D

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

Okay, since you are asking, I can freeze what's left over, but not sure how it will hold up in transit.

newoodguy78

AZ_builder

Jeff, your as bad as me! One nights dinner will turn into 4-5 nights of added stuff. Creativity makes good food! While out hunting I'll usually start an omelet on the first day, by day 7-10 it has every meat and veggie left over from other meals, just add more eggs. Lol no one complains.

Al_Smith

You could take the old "presto" pressure cookers and cook an old  work boot soft enough you could eat it. It might take a bit of seasoning though .

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 06, 2019, 12:30:06 PM
You could take the old "presto" pressure cookers and cook an old  work boot soft enough you could eat it. It might take a bit of seasoning though .
My old work boots are pretty well seasoned.  smiley_airfreshener
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

olcowhand

.....But you won't smell it until you open the cooker......
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Al_Smith

You take round steak that you almost need teeth like a wolf to eat .You can either  beat the dickens out of it with a meat hammer or pressure cook it .My mother used to brown it and put it in the pressure cooker and it came out very nice .Back in the 60's it was just about the cheapest cut of beef and feeding a family of 7 she had to pinch pennies .

Jeff

I made this in ours tonight.

luvmexfood

Quote from: Jeff on March 06, 2019, 08:16:23 PM
I made this in ours tonight.

Now that looks good. Meat looks so moist and the same color as when I do meatloaf in my pot. First one I made, only me here, I got a fork to sample. Ended up standing there and eating the entire thing without anything else.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Jeff

I forgot to mention, this was venison. digin1

Chuck White

Nothing wrong with that, Jeff!   digin_2
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

That looks good with my Too Green For Me Radar on. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!