iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pressure Cooker Cookin

Started by Jeff, February 28, 2019, 04:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

:D  I really like brussels sprouts but most people don't .My lady fair can't stand them but she likes grits .Where she got that from I'll never know because she's a northern gal .

Jeff

I never would eat brussel sprouts until just a few years ago. I guess your tastes change. I still can't eat pickled beets and Tammy loves them. Not a fan of cottage cheese either.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

AZ_builder

Took me 30 years to knowingly eat mayonnaise. Still won't touch cottage cheese.

doc henderson

my dad would not eat cottage cheese, cause when he worked at Fairmont dairy, he saw the guys walking in it with rubber boots as they made it.  He also worked on a chicken farm, and every meal was eggs or chicken.  I was 10 years old before I ever saw him eat and egg.  My mom made a dessert called "breaded tomatoes"  with sugar, bread and tomatoes.  looked like brains to me.  I never tried it although my dad nearly forced me, but I did go into medicine.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rjwoelk

It was tapioca pudding. My brother called it fisheye pudding could not even look at it.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Al_Smith

Well there you go .Brains and eggs are a delicacy to some .--with or without grits or fried potatoes .

Raider Bill

No sprouts for me please! Love cottage cheese and have a bowl every morning with grapes and bananas sliced up in it. Tapioca is another thing I like. My Step mom made it with the large eyes. DELISH!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Skip

I never ate brains and eggs and you could NOT pay me to try them again ! no_no steve_smiley

thecfarm

Yea I know what ya mean. I tried grits once.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

:D It's been decades for me and the brains .My grandmother just loved them .They weren't bad they just smelled nasty when they were cooking .

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 07, 2019, 06:23:37 PM:D  I really like brussels sprouts but most people don't .My lady fair can't stand them but she likes grits .Where she got that from I'll never know because she's a northern gal .
Al,

Sounds to me like you married a real keeper. 

My old mentor where I grew up in N. Fla had lost all his teeth and loved squirrels, rabbits, a young coon, etc. He would fry them brown then wrap them loosely in tin foil and put them in a pressure cooker with about an inch of water and pressure cook them 10-15 minutes as I remember. The meat would always just fall off the bone. We'd typically eat that with home grown/canned field peas, home grown and ground grits (Usually yellow) and hush puppies and it was always a feast fit for a king IMHO.

I shot one big male fox squirrel a couple months ago which was the hardest thing I have tried to skin since my last alligator snapping turtle. I froze him and plan to marinade him in buttermilk a few hours then try cooking him like my old mentor did and see if he is edible.

Looking outside at the 3" of snow we have had today makes me want to try the same thing with every lying groundhog I can get in my sights. :D

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

I like Brussell Sprouts, but can't have them any more, too high in Vitamin K and I'm on blood thinners!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Al_Smith

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 08, 2019, 05:20:39 PM
Quote from: Al_Smith on March 07, 2019, 06:23:37 PM:D  I really like brussels sprouts but most people don't .My lady fair can't stand them but she likes grits .Where she got that from I'll never know because she's a northern gal .
Al,

Sounds to me like you married a real keeper.

We aren't married which is long story but to cut to the chase we are a both 71 years old and have known each other since 4 th grade .She is a widow and I likewise .At this age it's too complicated to consider marriage which is not to say some companionship is out of the question .That said,grits or not I'll keep her  :) Maybe she picked that up that grits  thing from her childhood south of Indianapolis Indiana ?Those hoosiers have plenty of corn .I suppose what didn't go into moon shine they had to figure out something  to do with and presto grits were born .

doc henderson

I thought grits were made from the part of the moonshine that the northerners through out?   :D  congrats on your relationship with a life long friend al.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Al_Smith

I had to Google it but I guess it's boiled corn meal .I'd rather have the corn bread myself .I don't know what they do with the residue of the corn whiskey mash .Feed it to the hogs and watch them act a fool maybe .That would be entertaining no doubt .You could sell tickets to that event . :D

Al_Smith

Now back to the pressure cooker .Beef tongue,some love it and some aren't too  interested .Put a rack in the bottom of the pressure cooker and cut up some onions add little water then full steam ahead .Makes the best onion soup and if you like the tongue that's good too .

Magicman

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 09, 2019, 10:24:56 AMbut I guess it's boiled corn meal
No, boiled cornmeal would be mush.  Grits are much courser.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rubberfish

Grits would be worth a try for sure. Mrs. fish says no way.
Works for her. I can't find them around here anyways.

there's always amazon isn't there.  :)
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

rubberfish

Speaking of pressure cookers and corn.  :)  :)  :)
We use our instant-pot a lot. 
And one thing it seems to do very well is corned beef.
We don't eat that often enough.  :(
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Al_Smith

Quote from: Magicman on March 09, 2019, 02:34:09 PM
Quote from: Al_Smith on March 09, 2019, 10:24:56 AMbut I guess it's boiled corn meal
No, boiled cornmeal would be mush.  Grits are much courser.
Mush isn't bad if you let it set up in like a loaf pan. Slice and fry it and serve with syrup .

WV Sawmiller

My old mentor would take his corn to town and have it ground for meal and grits. He'd even screen/sift the meal to get the fine grits off the meal. He'd separate the coarse from the fine grits because the coarse ones took a lot longer to cook but IMHO they were much better.

I had some meal made in Africa when I could not find any in the store. I bought a measure (Some sort of local can - a liter or so I guess) in the local open air market then took it to another vendor with a little gas powered mill and communicated to him what I wanted and he ground it. I think I just wanted some to meal to fry some fish and don't remember trying to make cornbread out of it. We never tried mush. I saw the Himba people in Namibia grinding corn with river rocks and cooking their grits in a real small round cast iron pot burning the corn cobs for heat. Some called it maize but mostly I think they called it mealies. It was one of their staple diet foods.

I haven't tried the tongue or brains yet. I haven't eaten a possum either - times just ain't been that hard yet. :D

Al,

You can fry your grits the same way as the mush you describe. I think you chill and slice it, dip it in egg and flour and fry it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Al_Smith

It might not be bad fried .I can't say I ever liked what would be considered cooked cereal such as mush,farina etc .I used to like rolled oats but lost my appetite for that years ago. I'll just the  take biscuits  and gravy and leave the grits and what not for others .

Chuck White

Got a 2-pound venison roast in the pressure cooker right now.

Added some spices and rubbed them in, then chunked up a large onion and through that in and put it on the burner!

I'll let it cool in the fridge then, this afternoon I'll slice it for supper and left-over samiches!  digin_2
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Al_Smith

I grew up eating Colorado mule deer .There's a trick to anything .Those raunchy tough high altitude timber bucks are about like eating a 6 year old Holstein bull .They certainly are not Ohio grain fed whitetail .My mother used to toss a roast in the pressure cooker with tomatoes .Something in the tomatoes took most of the "wild" taste out of it and softened it up a tad bit .It wasn't bad at all as I recall .

Chuck White

I've done that with tomatoes to AL, works really well!

Another thing to take the gaminess out of the venison is to add about a tablespoon of vinegar to the pan or pot!  The vinegar will evaporate off, got that one from a guy and his wife who ran the little Mom & Pops store in Deerfield, SD!

Thank You Sponsors!