iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Batteries

Started by Magicman, October 26, 2014, 04:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK so I know that they are correctly termed "cells" but we refer to them as "batteries. 

I am not having the best of luck with them.  Whether "coppertop", Ray O Vac", or "bunny", I seem to have too many of them to fail and leak and the date on them doesn't matter.  I put 8 coppertop AA's with a 2016 date in my game camera before we left on our vacation trip.  Over 200 pictures were taken before they failed and spewed.  I put 2 bunny AAA's in my doorbell at about the same time.  Failed.  I have changed the AA's in my outside temperature thermometer sending unit several times this year.

Maybe batteries are made from Sweetgum and I hates them too.   :-\

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Autocar

How did you ever figure that out battery's were made out of Sweetgum tree now you let the cat out of the bag ! :D  :D  :D
Bill

moosehunter

The "copper top" folks replaced a Mag Lite for me when one of their batteries failed and ruined it. That was 15 years ago, have not had one of any brand go bad sense.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

red oaks lumber

zero problems with c.top even worked last winter with minus 40 deg.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Shotgun

I've had two mini-mag (2AA) flash lights and one (2 D cell) light ruined with copper tops within the last 8 years. One 2AA light was replaced and the other two were so set up that I couldn't get the batteries out, period.  I'm taking the batteries out now if any mag light will not be used for a while. It's a nuisance, but due to the cost of the lights, I'm not taking any chances.  You have to mail the damaged lights back to mag-light or to the battery manufacturer, and the cost of mailing a loaded two D cell light isn't worth it to me. Plus the hassle of it all.  Something is different in the last few years.  Not certain what.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I use Duracell in all my game cams, flashlights, computer mouse, remote controls, etc.......
I've never had any problems.

Would you like to schedule a service call?  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

I've had good luck with all the ones,, I believe it has to be shelf life,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

jwilly3879

We sell Fuji batteries in the wife's store. They work well for me.

hackberry jake

It's probably because they are triple C batteries. Cheapo Cheapo Chinese.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 26, 2014, 09:23:40 PM
No, I stated in the OP that I have used only the three major producers.

The ones that I put in the game cam were copper top Duracell with a 2016 date.  It took over 200 pictures before the batteries spewed.  I opened the game cam up this afternoon, washed the corrosion out, and soldered the wire back on the back of the terminal.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Maybe a batch of bad batteries. I have left Duracells in my game cam all season. 1000's of pics.
I hate it when they start leaking....ruins everything.

Magicman

I wasn't worried about those with a 2016 date.  The ones that I just bought are dated 2023.

I just hate to trust something, and get ripped off.   :-\

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on October 26, 2014, 10:04:09 PM

I just hate to trust something, and get ripped off.   :-\

:D :D :D

Ianab

I wonder if someone has gotten into the cheap knock-off battery business? Seems like every other sort of manufacturing has?

They might be labelled as Duracell, but who actually made them?

They counterfeit chainsaws and cant hooks, why not batteries?

I'd send them back to the manufacturer just for that reason. So they know they are either selling crap, or crap is being sold under their name.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Compensation

We use to pour baking soda all over the golf carts at my last job. The corrosion seemed to slow down after that. I don't know if that will help save anything you have but figured I would toss it out there.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Magicman

Golf cart/auto batteries are acid filled and yes, baking soda is the remedy to neutralize the acid.  These are alkaline, so I guess vinegar would be the neutralize.

I buy my batteries from Home Depot which carries all three major brands and has the best price, especially when you get the large packages.

terrifictimbersllc

They just sells 'um, and leaves 'um.   :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

You got me there.   :D

Raider Bill

I've got a box of old remotes some are 10-15 years old still with batteries. Just checked them not a leaker in any of them.

I did have a solar led light power pack a couple weeks ago that the rechargeable battery was leaking.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

say_what What kind of batteries do they put in pacemakers?

Ianab

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 27, 2014, 04:20:56 PM

I would assume they aren't your regular made in Taiwan "NEverreadys"
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LaneC

I did not know that they would replace a flashlight. I just threw away a mini mag 2 days ago because the Everready coppertop batteries in it leaked out very bad and destroyed the flash light. Just a FYI, if you look at the warranty on a pelican flash light, it says they are guaranteed from everything except shark bites, bear attacks and children under 5 :D :D :D :D (seriously) that is what the old warranties used to say. I do not know if they still say it or not. I guess it is hit and miss with the batteries, but I do know it is aggravating to have a good device ruined because of this.
Man makes plans and God smiles

hackberry jake

Quote from: Magicman on October 26, 2014, 09:38:07 PM
Quote from: hackberry jake on October 26, 2014, 09:23:40 PM
No, I stated in the OP that I have used only the three major producers.

The ones that I put in the game cam were copper top Duracell with a 2016 date.  It took over 200 pictures before the batteries spewed.  I opened the game cam up this afternoon, washed the corrosion out, and soldered the wire back on the back of the terminal.
I know most of the major manufactures of batteries now have lines outside the U.S. Including Duracell.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 27, 2014, 04:20:56 PM
The general use today is lithium iodine battery, but battery technologies since the inception of cardiac pacemaker presents the alternative to lithium iodine battery for the near future.  Lithium / carbon monofluoride and/or Lithium-polycarbon fluoride will probably be the batteries of choice for pacemakers in the future.

Magicman

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 27, 2014, 07:55:21 PMI know most of the major manufactures of batteries now have lines outside the U.S. Including Duracell.
Yup Jake, I highly suspect that you are very correct.  I just looked at some from the 3 major manufacturers and one said China.

I have had very good success in the past with batteries not leaking and yes, they had a warranty written on the side.  Now there is only a "warning".

Thank You Sponsors!