iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Most likely visit from Florence

Started by kelLOGg, September 10, 2018, 08:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

It is now a category 4 and is predicted to make landfall 150 miles from my sawmill and bring 80 mph wind with her. I think I will take the sycamore log off the mill and move it to the pasture out of the range of trees because I had rather 20" of rain fall on it than the 20" sweetgums, et.al., growing around my sawshed. Yes... it could be 20" of rain! >:( How do you guys deal with such predictions?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

ljmathias

Sometimes they're bad, sometimes not. We had a cat 1 come at us week or so ago- predictions of high wind damage and 4-5" rain. Didn't get either despite all the schools and businesses closing for that day. Did have fun taking the grandkids to the movies although "Hotel Translavania 3" isn't academy award material...

Worried about my son and his family though. He's in the Chesapeake Bay area and if they get any storm surge to speak of, the island they live on will be under water. Plus he has a 45' charter sail boat that is his main business- that gets wrecked, well, needless to say, not good.

Be praying for all you folks on the east coast. Won't stop the hurricane nature is sending but might mitigate the damage?

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

SawyerTed

Bob, I did exactly as you describe today.  I'm reminded of Hugo and the damage and rain we had here then. 

Serviced the generator today, filling sawmill gas cans for the generator, making sure downspout drains are clear and battening stuff down.  Got plenty of food and propane.  

Otherwise ready to hunker down and wait it out.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

sealark37

Florence bears many resemblances to a 1954 hurricane, "Hazel".  She cleaned off beach fronts over almost 100 miles in South and North Carolina.  The storm surge completely over-flowed several inhabited barrier islands.  We are hoping that Florence does not live up to her press.   Regards, Clark

Magicman

I can assure you that plans for restoration teams are already being made here and there will be convoys of service trucks headed your way when the need arises.  Yes, we also sent "Hugo Buster" teams when they were needed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Twenty pounds of Slim Jims and three half-gallons of Hiram Walker.  And two boxes of Hohos.

It looks like things around SC, NC, VA could get ugly.  I hope everyone stays safe.

I need to secure the mill, move some lighter things to shelter or lash down, and figure out how to secure the tin covering the lumber piles.  And clean the gutters.  10-20" of rain (if that prediction holds) is a lot of water to deal with.

Good luck to everybody.
HM126

btulloh

Quote from: Magicman on September 10, 2018, 09:32:20 PM
I can assure you that plans for restoration teams are already being made here and there will be convoys of service trucks headed your way when the need arises.  Yes, we also sent "Hugo Buster" teams when they were needed.
It's great how all the power companies from the region pitch in when these things come along.  We've had crews here from as far away as Missouri at times.
Some people get upset when their power is out for extended times, but the power companies and the crews really do their best and should be appreciated.  I'll keep an eye out for some those Mississippi trucks with the MagicMan logo.  :)
HM126

firefighter ontheside

Lots of FEMA urban search and rescue task forces are gearing up to help. I'm on the team from Missouri.  We will probably get the word tomorrow. They have sent teams from NY, PA, OH, NJ and FL already.  Take care guys in the path.  Lots of guys like me will come to help when called.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

Yea - 10"-20" here is the word, that will be a mess for sure.  The sawmill stuff isn't too bad, button it down, cover it up, it's insured... it's my cows that have me concerned.  The farm is on a hill but we have some bottom ground as well, luckily given the earlier rain I have the cows on higher ground with plenty of grass to keep them happy, but that earlier rain also means the tree roots are in saturated ground, especially in the bottom ground. We have two creeks that run through the farm and there are still some maples down there from one of the storms back in the '90s that fell over and turned into a twisted mess.  They are all alive and have vertical limbs the size of trees.  They do have some very nice ambrosia in them so when it's dry enough I winch some out - not the case this year.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kelLOGg

Thanks for the replies. It's good to get helpful comments from those in hurricane paths. I notice that there is already a thread on the General Board so I will resume there.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

crowhill

Vermont's swift water rescue team is prepping to head down for assistance as needed. May be headed already as they were packing yesterday.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

florida

btulloh

Those out of town power companies really make a huge difference but they aren't doing it becaus they are nice guys. The crews fight over the work because they are getting time and a half every minute from the time they pull out of their yard until they pull back in.  It's hard work and they do long shifts but  they will take turns sleeping in the trucks because the paychecks keep building.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Don P

Guys if it does get bad we're near the 58/21 intersection top of the mountain. Go north on 21 about a mile to the building supply on your left, Larry or Craig can find me or Michelle. Let's hope it isn't a Hazel, Fran or Hugo.

samandothers

I remember spending the night in a hotel in Durham NC the night before Floyd or Fran wondering if it water would come under the door.  I set my clothes bag, boots and others stuff on the dresser top.

During Katrina we slept in an American Legion building in Bogalusa La.  The mechanics with us rigged up showers outside with PVC and tarp.

Those are long days but everyone works hard to get the job done and return safely.

DR_Buck

Quote from: ljmathias on September 10, 2018, 09:09:34 PM

Worried about my son and his family though. He's in the Chesapeake Bay area and if they get any storm surge to speak of, the island they live on will be under water. Plus he has a 45' charter sail boat that is his main business- that gets wrecked, well, needless to say, not good.

He needs to take that boat up the Elizabeth or York rivers and get it safe.  The Navy started putting all their ships in Norfolk to sea today. 
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

DR_Buck

My new sawmill don't get delivered until the end of next week.  I do have my Lucas slabber if I need emergency slabbing though.   

Currently central Virginia is listed in an area designated as a predicted catastrophic damage area.   So, today will be our busy "get ready" day.  I will move my camper to a tree free area, fill all my gas cans, service my generator and prep my chain saws.    We are high on a hill so the only flooding I will need to deal with is the stone basement section under the older part of our house.    I will be checking both sump pumps and all of the rain gutter runoff lines.  

I also expect as part of the aftermath the chance to pick up quite a few saw logs, so I will also prep my log trailer.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Mad Professor

Good idea to move the mill

Mine was set in a nice shady grove of EWP.  Snowstorm broke one that missed the mill by 6'.

Be safe.  Take care of yourself and family.  Gas/fuel up, lights/lanterns/oil lamps/candles, generator if you have one, lots of non-perishable food, water/water purifier, TP, soaps/detergents/bleach, don't forget the beer.

Hope things go well.

petefrom bearswamp

Hope all of you are going to be OK.
btulloh, I like your emergency food supplies.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!