iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Broken Tooth On Chain

Started by Dixiebonsai, December 08, 2015, 06:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dixiebonsai

Hello,
I noticed when sharpening a pretty good chain that it had a broken tooth on it.It is broken above the link in the neck that rises up to the tooth.I dont think the drive link is compromised.Do you fellows discard a chain that has a tooth broken or keep using it?

thecfarm

I have only broke one or two. I just grind it off and keep using the chain. Never even notice it is gone.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ehp

if the chain is not cracked where the tooth broke off then use the chain , 1 tooth missing will make little difference . Now where did the broken tooth go cause if it broke in the cut in the wood it should of damaged the rest of the cutters as they should of hit that broken tooth so look to see how the rest of the cutters points look

sawguy21

It depends. If the chain is otherwise in good shape I would replace the cutter. Once chain is filed back to half or less of the original cutter length I would run it as is. I have only broken one, I hit a nail bucking a poplar with a narrow kerf chain.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

The only Stihl branded chain I buy is for my 200T's .I have a lot of Stihl chain though but it comes from damaged loops I get from a trimmer buddy of mine .

When I accumulate say a dozen loops I remove the bad cutters/drivers  and respin into a shorter loop .Say a 36" into 24" 24 to 20 and so on .I think last winter I did  like 20 of them .

I will say it's darn good chain .My motto is waste not want not besides that I'm a tight wad .

Thank You Sponsors!