iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

doing your own, small scale, log trucking

Started by Rick Stanley, March 21, 2011, 08:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Stanley

Is anybody hauling saw logs, a few at a time, to the local mill? If so, got any pics of your rig, trailer, truck or whatever?

Thanks
Garn WHS-2000 delivered 10-10-08 placed in service 10-16-09
150 Acre Woodlot
Husky 55 Rancher
S8 IH Skidder
4ft. American Wood Splitter
Pto Cord Wood Saw
484 IH Farm Tractor
6522 Honda Compac

paul case

i haul a few in at a time with my c70 and trailer. look under the thread titled,  setting up a c 65 for log hauling.
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Dave Shepard

At work we have an F550 Ford with a 12' stake body. We use if for many things, including hauling logs to our mill. For large volumes, we hire a tri-axle with a loader. When I'm moving logs to the mill for my personal projects, I use our farms IH 4900 with stakes. It will easily haul 1,500 feet.

Here it is when we were building the sides for silage and sawdust:

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Banjo picker

Here is mine..Its pretty much like Pauls...

I beefed up the back rack with some gussetts since to pic. as the last slabs I delivered ..layed them back when I dumped them... :o   Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

g_man

I use a 2001 Ram One ton Dually Dump. A little limited though. It can only handle 8, 10, and 12 footers reasonably. And sometimes that is questionable  :o
Average load is about 500 BF  

thecfarm

No idea what you are calling a local mill.Some of the big local mills don't want to be bothered by the little guy.A phone call will find out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Ironwood

I have a bunch of pics in my "log moving gallery". I am building a F-550 gasser with a log bed "sub frame" that a normal bed can be forklifted over top of. It also has a Hiab 035 knuckle boom that is going to have a grapple and rotator. The Hiab lifts 5500lbs, so should work fine.   Here are few pics of the "old" F-550 Diesel. and trailers and trailers and arches. I have a F-350 CC 4x4, and there is no comparison to the two capacities even though they share the same frames. I was going to sell the white 550 Diesel, but I am leery about getting rid of it. It has been a bullet proof delivery truck, 350-500 mile one way deliveries. 

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Bobus2003

I have hauled into the Mill a few times, but if i'm using my truck its too the post mill.. its just a Ford F350 CC Diesel, with a 32' GN flatbed

g_man

If you are bringing small loads into a mill I think it helps if you can self unload. That way you are not a nuisance to their daily operation. If you self unload and bring product they are looking for they will be more likely to do business with a little guy.

Besides mills logs yards generally deal with little guys. At least around here. Self unloading isn't as important at a yard but you might have to wait for the loader guy.

Thank You Sponsors!