iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turtle soup recipe

Started by gary, July 28, 2010, 05:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary

I caught my first snapping turtle today.So the first place I go to get advice is here. Does anyone have a recipe to make soup from them? I know how to clean them. I want to make soup from some and some deep fried turtle. I have had both before and liked it. 

Norm

We used to put it in the crock pot with veggies, potatoes and cream of something soup concentrate. The worst for us was the cleaning of the turtle, never could do a decent job of it.

Raider Bill

I always wondered how you talked them out of their shell? ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Texas Ranger

Give them an offer they cannot refuse.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Weekend_Sawyer

Ask em out to the dance  8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

jim king

Now dont you feel guilty ?¿

gary

I made them into vegetable soup and then I felt full.

sandhills

Anyone here know about cleaning turtles, caught my first one not too worried about cooking it but would like to get it cleaned right.

gary

http://www.thunderbucks.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1151696126/
That link should give you a good idea of how to do it. Remember this after cutting the head off IT CAN AND WILL BITE FOR 4 OR 5 HOURS

Kansas

I never cleaned one, but after looking at the pictures, it seems to me an easier (and more appropriate way for FF members) would be to use a chainsaw for some of those steps. Swing mill might work well too, if you can figure out how to clamp it.

gary

I have heard of people using a circlular saw to clean them. I have all ready had 1 thumb reattached and decided that I really like to have all of my fingers, so I'll stick with the knife.

Kansas

That would be an interesting video (no, not cutting the thumb off.) How to clean a turtle using sawmill and shop tools. Seems like if you freelanced and set a jointer at just the right depth, put the turtle on its back, and used that and went with the curvature of the shell...

Thank You Sponsors!