iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

homemade sawmill nearly done but cant get any logs in connecticut???

Started by markct, July 20, 2008, 05:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markct

well my bandsaw mill that i posted about when i started it nearly 3 years ago is finaly close to getting done. it had been on the back burner for a long time while other projects were getting done but now its coming along well. only problem i seem to have is i havent been able to get any logs, i called around a bunch of local places and no one has any to sell? anyone know of any loggers in the ct or western mass area, i would be interested in getting some softwoods, pine and hemlock etc, to make lumber for a few sheds as well as burn the scraps and slabs, or trees too crooked to make lumber, since i need firewood for my maple syrup operation as well. but so far i been having no luck.

peterduncan

bandmiller2

Mark,I'd forget the professional loggers look up local tree removal guys they get logs as a byproduct and most are easy to deal with.Many times they will give you logs or a mixed load if they are busy.Tree guys have a problem getting rid of softwood too large to chip, big mills don't want yard trees and they can't sell it for firewood.Most are more than glad to cut for shares they always need oak for truck beds and sides.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

mike_van

I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

markct

yea im about 45 minutes from kent, maybe less, im in northfield, which is a section of litchfield

arj

I`ve gotten logs from the state when they were cutting near by, had to pick up
what they cut every day. Also got "logs" from the tree service working for the
power co. They delivered, but thought logs were anything over 3 ft. Did get some
nice 6 to 8 ft. stuff mixed in with the firewood. Found a company in town that
clears building lots, roads, and does custom tree work. They deliver, always have
more logs than I need. If I need something special, just need to ask. This deal
works great for me.
                                               arj

mike_van

I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Thank You Sponsors!