iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using my Log Rite again to get logs to the sawmill

Started by 123maxbars, April 26, 2017, 09:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I had a few Walnut and Cherry trees given to me recently. The only catch was the landowner did not want any heavy equipment/bobcat etc on his property.
Once again my Log Rite ATV arch performed like a champ and got the timber to my trailer for hauling. I made a video showing the process.  It might look like a lot of work but was worth the effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiswoCbnSg
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Brad_bb

What was that greasing thing you were doing on the chain??
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WV Sawmiller

Nice video. I suggest hooking the winch to a chain around the trailer bar instead of just to the bar. From what i saw I was worried the hook could slip. Also I try to seal the ends of my logs as soon as I buck them to length. Looks like there was a 6-7 week gap on your dates for this.

I saw some of your logs were dragging. I sometimes do this with my ATV and log arch because I need to extra drag coming down steep slopes but sometimes I lift them on to a dolly if it will tear up the ground or too much drag on more level ground. My arch is shorter than yours so I likely need to use the rear axle/dolly more than you would Here are pictures of my set up.

Here is my arch and ATV and the rear dolly on the ground.

Once lifted with the arch I slide the dolly under the log and cinch it tight with a ratchet strap. lower the log then go pick up the other end for towing. In this picture the dolly is closer to the center than on longer logs

Then I tow it to the log pile, undo the winch cable on front, pull the arch forward out of the way, undo the ratchet strap and roll the log over with my logrite which frees my dolly for the next use.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

123maxbars

Quote from: Brad_bb on April 26, 2017, 10:03:13 PM
What was that greasing thing you were doing on the chain??

Its a small grease gun sold at lowes. Oregon makes them, same company that does the chainsaw chains/bars etc.  It works on a pump release and is made for bars with port holes at the end.  Since my Stihl bars don't have that I like to add some extra grease to the chain before use.  Not sure its necessary but doesn't hurt either.
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 26, 2017, 10:40:47 PM

Nice video. I suggest hooking the winch to a chain around the trailer bar instead of just to the bar. From what i saw I was worried the hook could slip. Also I try to seal the ends of my logs as soon as I buck them to length. Looks like there was a 6-7 week gap on your dates for this.

I saw some of your logs were dragging. I sometimes do this with my ATV and log arch because I need to extra drag coming down steep slopes but sometimes I lift them on to a dolly if it will tear up the ground or too much drag on more level ground. My arch is shorter than yours so I likely need to use the rear axle/dolly more than you would Here are pictures of my set up.

Here is my arch and ATV and the rear dolly on the ground.

Once lifted with the arch I slide the dolly under the log and cinch it tight with a ratchet strap. lower the log then go pick up the other end for towing. In this picture the dolly is closer to the center than on longer logs

Then I tow it to the log pile, undo the winch cable on front, pull the arch forward out of the way, undo the ratchet strap and roll the log over with my logrite which frees my dolly for the next use.

That is  a nice set up. I like that log arch you got.  I usually do seal the ends after cutting but I didn't bring my anchorseal that day and got a little behind.

Thanks for sharing pics of your operation with your arch!
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Thank You Sponsors!