iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite loads for in-line muzzleloaders?

Started by gspren, September 04, 2015, 03:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

As mentioned in another thread I just ordered a 50 cal in-line. What load, propellant and projectile, do you like for deer hunting? The shop where I ordered the gun said the White Hot pellets have got good reports and sabot rounds of 250-265 grains were popular.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Gearbox

I use loose powder 777 100 grains pushing a 150 grn. TS sabot HP . they will stay in the kill zone out to a 100 yds . Big thing now is find what shoots well and buy enough so you don't run out . By the time season opens many places our out of some bullets or powder . 777 is one of the eazyest to clean . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

WV Sawmiller

I'm pretty low tech and have been using 2-50 grain pyrodex pellets and a sabot with a 230 grain .44 bullet. Of course I'm generally shooting 60-70 yards vs some of these 300 yard shots I read about from others.  My last shot was actually more like 6 yards and that was straight down under my tree.

I think you just have to try out the gun for the kind of ranges you will be shooting and see what makes it and you happy. I'd think the loose powder would give you lots more flexibility to really fine tune the loads. My son swears he gets better groups with his muzzleloader than he does with his 30-06.

Good luck. Reminds me I need to get mine out this weekend and get it ready as with sawing and family events schedule may be last time I get a chance.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandsawmill14

i shoot 120 grains fffg pistol powder with 44 cal hollow point bullet (hornady) in the black sabots. i cant remember the weight of bullet we buy in box of 100 and the box is at my brothers house i cant just go look right now but they are in the 200-230 range i do shoot triple 7 when i cant get the black powder. my muzzle loader is  a 50 cal magnum if yours is  not i would not shoot over 90 grains of powder. but thats just me ;D   im like gearbox i shoot powder i just dont like the pellets :D

far as range i can shoot 150 yards with the scope set at zero at 100 yards without having to allow but it falls off real fast past that. i have read about 200- 300 yard shots but i can assure you mine wont do it!!!!   :-X :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

IndianaJoe

When I got my C.V.A. optima my dad swore that I needed to shoot 250 grain sabot bullets, and American pioneer pellets. I tried this ,and the safest place to stand when I was shooting it was right in front of the muzzle. I spent several months and hundreds of dollars on different bullets, powder, and primers. Finally out of frustration I called C.V.A. and they said a 295 grain powerbelt polymer tip and triple seven pellets. I gave this a try, and vola the first four shots at 65 yards were all touching each other. Has shot great ever since. Moral of the story is don't be afraid to call the company and ask questions.

rooster 58

Try the black horn loose powder. It's cleaner and very accurate in my TC.  4" groups at 300 yards 8)

Ron Scott

I use the 295 grain regular power belts with 100 grains of triple 7 as my regular deer hunting load and it has worked well in the TC Triumph rifle.
~Ron

gspren

Quote from: Ron Scott on September 07, 2015, 06:04:34 PM
I use the 295 grain regular power belts with 100 grains of triple 7 as my regular deer hunting load and it has worked well in the TC Triumph rifle.

Is that the hollow point or the Aero Tip with the point?

Ron Scott

~Ron

gspren

Quote from: Ron Scott on September 08, 2015, 01:22:02 PM
The Aero Tip, not the hollow point.

On the Power Belt site they recommend the Aero Tip for an exit hole (better tracking) or the hollow point for a faster knock down. I want both  ;D

Ron Scott

I've found better accuracy and less damage to the meat with the Aero Tip over the hollow point with plenty of knock down on whitetails.
~Ron

Magicman

I have successfully used Ron's load for Whitetails and Mule Deer, but use what works in your rifle.  The deer will never know about any changes that you make.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

I'm still waiting on my in-line to get here, then I'll try it out.

gspren

Picked up the gun last evening but today is rainy so won't get to shoot. I also picked up a pack of Power Belts and some White Hot pellets. Do I need a bullet starter with the Power Belts or will they load easy with the supplied ram rod? In reading the booklet they recommend using their own brand of breech plug grease but would dielectric or other lube also work? I need to make a list before next trip to the gun shop, any thing else recommended? With my flintlock using black powder I cleaned with dish soap, any reason to change?

Chuck White

Power Belts should seat rather easily with the ramrod that came with the gun!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Quote from: gspren on September 12, 2015, 11:15:18 AMIn reading the booklet they recommend using their own brand of breech plug grease but would dielectric or other lube also work?
If their grease was available, then I would use it.  That being said, I would think that your "anti-seize" grease would work.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

I feel that it is best to use a bullet starter to get it started that short distance down the barrel. It's easy to bend and break a ramrod at the start of the bullet push, and best to use a fiberglass one at that.
~Ron

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on September 12, 2015, 01:25:05 PM
Quote from: gspren on September 12, 2015, 11:15:18 AMIn reading the booklet they recommend using their own brand of breech plug grease but would dielectric or other lube also work?
If their grease was available, then I would use it.  That being said, I would think that your "anti-seize" grease would work.

That's what I've been using for years Lynn, the silver colored stuff.

Never had a problem.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gspren

I got to fire a few shots today and the Power Belts grouped nice. The breech area crudded up a bit more than I expected with the White Hot pellets but that may have been my fault, I ran a dry patch through first but maybe I should have solvent cleaned it, if there was any oil in there the first bullet would have wiped the oil down to the breech and then got burned. Next time I'll clean it better before loading and see how it goes. Overall I'm pleased.

repmma

100 grains of Triple 7 and Hornady XTP's work fine in my Vortek.  Decent enough for 200yrd shooting but I only needed about 10yrds last year.  Could do 150grains of powder but I just dont need it and any deer shot with 250gr or better bullets in the boiler room isnt going to know the difference.

I buy sabots and bullets in bulk, cheaper.

Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

fishfighter

I never could hit the side of a barn with the TC I have. Thank God we can use a single shot 45.70 now. No fighting cleaning that sucker. 8)

Magicman

We only have a muzzleloader only season on public land.  On private land, any firearm is legal.

maple flats

In my 209-50 TC I've been using Hornady Lock-n-load sabots, 295 gr SST-ML bullet and 2- 777 50 gr. pellets, with a CCI 209 primer. It is accurate to 125 yds. I've never tried it further since a longer shot is very unlikely where I hunt. The gun will handle 3 pellets @ 50 Gr ea. but at the 125 it is devastating on any deer, why go more. The hornady lock-n-loads have a tail that holds the powder pellets for a quick second shot, I cut the tail off so it only holds 2 pellets.
Before I was using those, I used 240 gr. Hdy JHP pistol bullets in a sabot, in front of 100 gr. of loose 2F black powder. That was good too, but even in a quick load it was slower to reload than the Lock-N-loads I now use. In my TC cap lock, Pennsylvania Hunter 1/66 twist, I used a 50 cal patched round ball, .495, in front of 90 Gr. FF. That gun wears a peep site and a few years ago, at a NY muzzle loaders fall shoot, I took 1st place with it at 100 yds,off hand, scoring a 47, 3X, out of 50. Needless to say, it was deadly. For hunting I now only use my TC 209-50.
With the TC 209-50 a few years ago, on the last afternoon of the season, I got out of work early enough to rush down to my brothers woods, almost run (slow jog) to a pile of logs he had at the edge of a woods and with a light rain, light fog and 15 minutes legal shooting time I sat in the logs and watched. A few minutes (6-7 minutes) later I saw a doe appear at the edge of the woods. I raised my gun, aimed it and shot. When the smoke cleared I looked, and the deer was still standing there, so I reloaded using the HDY Lock-N-Loads and again raised my gun, aimed, shot and the deer ran. I quickly reloaded again and walked to where the deer had stood, there was a big doe, piled up. The second deer turned out to be a second deer, I tracked that one about 40 yds. and there was a second, slightly smaller doe. Fortunately I had 2 doe tags, and both shots had been fired during legal shooting light. Both were perfect hits and the deer were at 110 yds in a light fog. I did have the advantage of setting on a log, feet supported, and another log in front of me at the perfect height to use as a rest.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!