iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My rule of thumb

Started by ddcuning, December 14, 2013, 05:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddcuning

Had a guy email me this week wanting to give me 150 trees in exchange for sawing him 30-30' beams out of said trees. He sent pictures of a pile of trees covered in mud and mushrooms growing out of the ends. Most of the trees looked to be about 8" across. I let him know my mill will saw a maximum of 20' and my rule of thumb is that I only saw trees that have been fell two weeks or less. So I politely declined his offer and he was offended.

Since this is a hobby of mine and I don't need the wood, my rule of thumb is to only saw trees that have been fell for two weeks or less. Picky? Maybe, but again, this just a hobby. I made this rule since I know that after only two weeks there should not be any bugs moved in that could contaminate my other lumber(if I have any on site), and there hasn't been time for uneven drying to occur inducing stresses in the logs. In addition, I feel that this process yields the nicest lumber and let's me control drying. Just my rule and wondering if anyone has similar?

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

bandmiller2

Your the boss on your mill Dave,and especially if your not relying on it for a living.That could be a little strict, I've cut some of my best lumber from logs so old the bark has fallen off.First time I've heard of the insect infestation,my stuff is usally sold off the mill or stacked well away from it.Your wise to pass on those crappy logs people always want you to make chicken soup from chicken poop. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

As Frank said, it's your show,  and I have also sawed old logs.  Never with mushrooms growing from them, I say do what you want.  Not sure why he is upset though, if you only saw 20', he should understand the limitations.   And bartering has to work for both parties,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

You absolutely make the rules concerning your operation whether it be a business or hobby.

For example, I do not buy logs, sell lumber, or saw on shares.  I do  not have sheds to store lumber and I have not developed a market for lumber.  That keeps me in the sawing business instead of the lumber business.  My decision.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cedarman

25 to 30 years ago when we did custom sawing, one fellow wanted me to log some poplar on shares and to saw his share into lumber.  I said I would do it on 1/2s.  I stated I would get 1/2 the logs by scale and divide  fairly and I would saw his 1/2 for 1/2 divided fairly.  He thought that since I would get 3/4 of the lumber, that I was ripping him off.  No deal.  First and last time I ever considered shares.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ddcuning

Like MM I don't want to be in the lumber business. I don't have storage for such and I don't want to be responsible for drying other peoples lumber. My MO is, you bring logs(I can get them and transport for a fee), I saw lumber, you pay cash and take your lumber home at the end of the day.

Logs with mushrooms growing out of them just didn't fit that model.

Maybe I should put that on the back of my calling card so there is no confusion?

Thanks for the input guys. I always value your opinions.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

mmartone

The only thing to be said for logs with mushrooms might be this:

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

thecfarm

Thirty foot beams takes special support equipment too. And I would think a little know how too. And a certain mill too. I know it can be done by sawing and than moving the log,but thirty of them.   :o  And than you said about 8 inches across too. And than the mud part too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nomad

You can sugar coat it any way you want.  But you gave him the correct, simple, one word answer from your point of view.  NO!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Peter Drouin

some jobs you just have to walk a way from  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Reminds me of a job I turned down this past Summer.

Guy called saying he had about 2,000 bf of White Cedar that he wanted to have sawed into 2x6 and 2x4.

I told him that my minimum size on the small end was 8 inches and he said "no problem".

Well I went and looked before bringing the mill and the average diameter on the small ends was 5-7 inches, so I told him I would still come out, but the job would be hourly at $50.00per.

Well he got P.O.'d and stormed off, I told his son (about 24yo or so) that I guess he's not interested and he shrugged his shoulders, so I just went home.

There are times when you just have to draw the line!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Banjo picker

Funny how logs tend to shrink just before they are to be milled... happens all the time....   Heres my rules of thumb.. 1: Any logs left for 30 days with no cut list will be disposed of at my discretion.... 2: Any lumber that is not picked up in 30 days will be sold to cover the sawing   3: Any logs under 10 inches inside the bark on the little end or under 8 feet in length or logs with excessive sweep will be sawed by the hour @$50.00 an hour....   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!