iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good Intentions and In Over My Head

Started by ManjiSann, September 01, 2019, 10:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan gage

I had to dig out an ash stump a few weeks ago, probably 18" DBH. I've got a decent sized (75hp) skid loader with a new (sharp) edge on the bucket and after abusing it for 45 minutes and the stump still feeling rock solid I figured I better try a different approach. I'm building a shop where that stump is coming out and had to dig footings anyway so I rented a mini-excavator (6200lbs) for the weekend. It didn't take long to realize that mini was a few sizes too small for the task. It couldn't even come close to budging that stump but it did help me dig away more dirt so I could go back to work on the large roots with the cutting edge of the skid loader. Eventually, between the two of them, I got it out. Not something I'll be making a habit of though.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

ManjiSann

Quote from: alan gage on September 10, 2019, 02:23:29 PM
I had to dig out an ash stump a few weeks ago, probably 18" DBH. I've got a decent sized (75hp) skid loader with a new (sharp) edge on the bucket and after abusing it for 45 minutes and the stump still feeling rock solid I figured I better try a different approach. I'm building a shop where that stump is coming out and had to dig footings anyway so I rented a mini-excavator (6200lbs) for the weekend. It didn't take long to realize that mini was a few sizes too small for the task. It couldn't even come close to budging that stump but it did help me dig away more dirt so I could go back to work on the large roots with the cutting edge of the skid loader. Eventually, between the two of them, I got it out. Not something I'll be making a habit of though.

Alan
The thing about the members on this forum is we don't quit just because we don't have the "right" tool, we figure out how to make do with what we've got and get the job done. 
What does DBH mean? I keep seeing it used and I'm guessing something like Diameter Base Height but that's not making complete sense to me.
Anyhow, Alan I applaud you for sticking to it! 
Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

btulloh

HM126

btulloh

HM126

thecfarm

@ManjiSann go up to the Menu Bar,starts out with Home Help Search,go to Extras,a drop down should appear,You want Forestry Forum Dictionary,go to the D's,should be the first one.
Lots of items to keep you busy at that Bar.  :D  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!