iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: Saw Dust??

Started by Frickman, April 14, 2004, 12:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

We give sawdust to the local farmers and horse owners and can't make it fast enough for them. Alot of the local mills charge a nominal fee for loading with their highlift, I do it for free during good weather because most of these folks are lumber and hay customers. Every spring the local little league gets a load for throwing in wet spots around the ball field.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

smwwoody

Where do you keep it  do you just blow it itno a pile outside ?
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

Hi

What is every one doing with their sawdust?  I was selling it to the local land fill.  now they stooped using it.  It didn't bring a lot of money but it was hassle free.  They would drop off a 40 yard Dumpster tarp it and hook up my blow pipe into it. When it was getting close to full all I had to do was call them and they would bring in a new one hook everything back up and send me a check with in a few days for $0.50 / ton.  but now I have to find something else to do with it.  Any good Ideas?

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Frickman

We just blow it into a pile outside. If some of it gets old people haul it away for mulch. Most of the bigger mills are blowing it into buildings to keep the rain off it. The DER recommends it stored under cover to prevent tannic acid from seeping from the piles. We only saw part-time now so the outside pile doesn't get that big. If we ever go back to sawing full-time we'll construct a simple pole building to blow the dust into.

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Ron Wenrich

Now that the weather has gotten nice, there isn't as much pressure for getting dust out to the farmers.  We sell to chicken farmers, cattle farmers and horse owners.  We blow right into the back of a self-unloading trailer.  We get about $300/trailerload.  One horse show was paying over $500/load.

For the loose stuff laying around from the edgers, we let guys clean that up for free.  One guy comes over every night, and can't keep caught up.  A few other guys come in about once a week. We had to control it or we would almost have fights over the dust.

As long as there are farmers in the area, you should be able to find someone to handle some or most of your off fall.  It may take some marketing on your part.  Go to a Grange meeting and market your goods.  Any livestock auctions in your area?  Horse shows are really good outlets.  

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

DR Buck

:-[   I've had a number of "horsey people" tell me they don't want my saw dust.  Bandmill saw dust is to fine for their use.  The boy scouts took a bag to make fire starters. :)   Anybody know where I can find about a million Boy Scouts the need fire starters?  ;D

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Frickman

Ron W.,
We got a horse owner that cleans up the mill too. I leave a wheelbarrow and shovel at the mill, and she comes by and cleans up around for me, no charge. Sometimes if we're busy logging and haven't sawn for a couple weeks she's dissapointed that I haven't made a mess for her to clean.

Dianne

We use the sawdust for the horse we have. It help dry up the mud in his turnout this spring.

Jeff

Our aspen sawdust is always in high demand for bedding. For horses and cows.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Hey, Anudder new member. Welcome to the Forum, Dianne. 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Wes

Yeah, what he said  ;D

sawhead

we sell ours mixed with the bark to the papermills for fuel in their boilers.
The journey of a thousand miles begins
with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire

trouter

We produce on average 8-10 trailer loads a week, and the companies still fight over it and more people call every day.  Sometimes I think they feel where in business to make sawdust for them.  Anyway I used to sell to a trucking company in Saint Marys, called Dellua trucking maybe they would be interested.

smwwoody

Thanks I'll give them a call they are only about 12 miles from me
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Sawyerfortyish

Hey where can I find one of these free house  no I mean mill cleaners? Everybody here wants to get paid to push a broom. Now that I put in a mulch grinder everything gets swept up and put in the vibrating conveyer and is mixed in the mulch.

Thank You Sponsors!