iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Sawing in a sand pit. I bring rocks up into the bog one at a time too.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

APope

I just bought a Timberline sharpener. I hope that I can get it to work on ruff cut boards, but I tend to not cut bark that hard.
Unafraid to use my chainsaw, JD 2640, Frontier OS31

Magicman

Yup, OG, being able to clamp the stump vice to a 2X8 was the chainsaw bar holding solution for me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Stump vice is handy, Hows the leg holding up Magicman? Well, I hope.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Crossroads

The last few days have been pretty busy. Thursday I did some work on the apartment, trenched and ran the water line and power line from the well to the shop. 

Next we made a trip to Oregon so I could walk my step daughter down the isle. 

Then on Monday I had a milling job. This was probably the most prepared job site I've shown up at. The guy had the logs decked nicely and used a cat to level of a place for the mill. Then the homeowner turned out to be a top notch tail gunner. I never had to wait for a log to be loaded or a board pulled. He even raked the sawdust smooth after ever log. We ended up cutting 2800 feet of 1x12x10,12&20' along with about 500bdft of 1x3's

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

That's the kinda job that we all like to see.  :)

You clean up nicely too.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deere80

Well 2 weeks ago I traded my LT35HD in for a LT40wide with the 38HP on it and man what a difference in machines.  I cut a lot on the 35 and made some money with it but the 40 wide is a big step up for sure.  Cut some hackberry, black walnut, and Dutch

elm last weekend with it
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

Magicman

Very nice Deere, and congrats on the new Sawmill.

No problem with the leg Peter.  Stitches come out Friday.  Guess I'll get Dr Marty to remove them.   ;D

Deere80

MM...I bought 2 boxes of the 7 degree turbos and wow are them nice.  I still am trying to get my speed dialed in on different species of wood because I am getting harmonics in the blade which gives a guy the washboard look on some of my cuts.  I am not used to traveling that fast thru the cut and I think when I slow up is when I get the harmonics in the blade. But some cuts it will have the washboard look for a foot then smooth then it comes back so I guess I will just have to do some tweaking to get it dialed in.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

Magicman

Work with it, blade tension may be affecting it.

Deere80

I'm running 2800-3000 and that's what they recommend so it will just take me a little time to get things dialed in.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

terrifictimbersllc

Check the clearance of the blade screw above the top of the band.  It's supposed to be 1/16". Make sure your band is under it whenever reloading a sharp one. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Deere80

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on August 21, 2019, 05:18:53 PM
Check the clearance of the blade screw above the top of the band.  It's supposed to be 1/16". Make sure your band is under it whenever reloading a sharp one.

I will do that tonight when I get home, thanks for the tip.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

Bruno of NH

I had my turbo 7°s sharpened and I like them better and getting more footage from them.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Nothing exciting nor otherwise from me tonight.  Got rained out about 4:00PM and had to leave the sawmill uncovered plus 2 Logrites are spending the night with the sawmill.  I had to get the truck up the hill pronto or I would also be spending the night with the sawmill.  :o  It should dry out and be firm by morning.

I counted about 75 more 11' logs to cant out so I will be back next week.  That plus there are more trees that will be grubbed out as they continue to clear the additional acres.

richhiway

Big old pine log on the LT 40. Cutting a small order of boards for a customer.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Crossroads

Thank you Lynn!

I love my turbo 7's and thought I was getting another box of them Friday as I passed through Portland. I stopped at WM to talk about some issues with my mill and they comped me 6 new blades. Instead of breaking up a box, I bought the rest. I was all excited to finish off the last few 7° blades I had with me so I could open the new box of turbo 7's. To much disappointment, I ended up with another box of regular 7° blades. Now I have 45 4° and 45 7° with only about 12 turbo 7's. I guess it's going to take awhile to phase everything out and end up with just the turbo ☹️ But it's hard to complain about 6 free blades 😁
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

quadracutter222

Some highlights from my most recent job, and first mobile job.  Boy the learning that went down ;)

Logs and first beam.  Logs were larger than ordered thru scaler which made things interesting.

Guy I was working for, squaring a log that was too big for the bandmill

Starting to pile up the beams

Big cant ready to go

Very, very handy way to separate two big cants to load one off.  tap wedge in, slip T-bar tip in and lever up.

Testing max capacity of throat depth, 12". Had to add wedges to the dogs to move the cant towards me 1" so cover would not drag

Widest Fir cut so far

Something very satisfying about flipping a cant up, trimming to 20 1/4, then cutting 18 1/8 and 12

First load leaving

Second load

Got in the dog house leaving slab/waste pile too high

The rest of the job, starting tomorrow am. The mission to get max yeild of 2x10,12,14,16, random length

Gotta have some fun too ;)

richhiway

I am sawing a big old nail. 
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

Quote from: Crossroads on August 21, 2019, 11:30:47 PMI ended up with another box of regular 7° blades.
You should be able return that box of 7° blades whenever you go back to Portland.

Very nice "first road trip" job quadracutter222.  8)

Ouch richhiway.  :-X

quadracutter222

Quote from: richhiway on August 22, 2019, 04:35:43 PM

I am sawing a big old nail.
Did the blade rise on its own or did you raise the head to save out the last bit of the beam?

WV Sawmiller

Usually when I hit metal my blade tends to dive. I have hit my blade guard and knocked the set off the top teeth and my blade rose in that case.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

richhiway

It just went up on it's own.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Darrel

I've had it go both ways. More often down but sometimes up. I think it is easier for it to go down because the guide rollers push down on the blade and limit how much it can travel up. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Stephen1

I was up sawing a nice job yesterday,  1 hr to set up and 30 mins to tear down. 3 hours of sawing. All nice red oak. No quartersawn which is to bad as there was at least 1 nice size log for it. Mainly 10\4 and 8/8  slabs, edged on one side, makes nice book matched table tops. 

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!