iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yep, Dat's a Yooper

Started by Jeff, December 03, 2002, 12:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Brenda.  Fun, ain't it?

Don,  Hang onto those rains, son.  Don't let'em buck ya off. 8)

Corley5

Yup,  Roadkill on north bound I-75 Friday and south bound on Sunday.  I avoid the E-way at all costs weekends and when the weather is bad.  The Fudgies can't drive worth a d#*!  Some times they're also referred to as Flatlanders and Trunkslammers.  These are some of the polite terms anyway.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Bibbyman

OneWithWood,

Yea,  I know,  I've been over many parts of Illinois and southern halves (I70 south) of Indiana and Ohio and I've seen water and beautiful hills.  My statement was meant to be rhetorical instead of factual.  

I just can't see the attraction of pulling a boat 2-400 miles to the Lake of the Ozarks - or even going without one.  Speaking for myself,  we avoid the area like the plague - especially during the summer months.  Looks like everyone is getting away from it all - all end up there.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WV_hillbilly

ADfields we had a guy in OH about 25 miles from here that killed his 12 year old son with a bow this year while deer hunting. He saw a patch of white out of his tree stand and shot it .  Sad to say it was his son wanting to ask him a question.That was a month ago . But regular gun season in OH ended last Sunday and a slob hunter was arrested for shooting a passing white car . Again this sorry excuse of a hunter saw a patch of white and shot his shotgun. OOPS it was a car driving down a one lane country road on the other side of the brush. :(

There is no excuse for this kind of behavior while hunting . I just cant bring myself to pull the trigger unless I'm 100 % sure of the intended target and what is behind it. I 've passed up some really large bucks cause they were in the skyline in a field.

Hillbilly
Hillbilly

Paul_H

Well put Hillbilly,the same thing makes my blood boil.I went hunting Bull moose with a friend twenty years ago.On the second day,I heard a couple of shots and went over to his area.He told me he got a Bull,and it went in the water and died.It was floating with just it's ribcage showing.He wanted to leave it because it was to far out.

I started to get suspicious,and insisted that he take the rope out and tie it around the horns.When he waded out to crotch level he lost his breath,and came back in.I handed him the axe and he fell a a Jackpine beside it and crawled out to it,whimpering the whole time.He called back "I can't find the horns" I said, surprise,surprise Jackass,tie it around it's neck and we'll drag it in.
It was a Cow Moose,and he didn't admit it to me until years later,but he knew it before he shot it.

I told him that day,and stuck to it "I will never hunt with you again." It was a long trip home.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

ADfields

It's that kind of crap that makes it so hard for us to keep what little freedom we still have! >:(
Andy

Ron Scott

A Yooper Loves Winter's Snow. For more Yooper information and ordering a pasty visit www.pasty.com

~Ron

ADfields

Yooper's have some things in coman with big dumb birds I see. :D :D
Andy

JeffS

>:(    As a Yooper born and raised I resent every bit of that last remark...

We are a fun loving, good timing, kind of people and we don't seem to care whats happening around us just as lo9ng as we are having fun.  Oh, and as long as the beer is flowing...

Jeff S...   The other YOOPER ON THE FORUM

8)
If you can't inspire them with information or dazel them with details, baffel them with Bull S#!t.

ADfields

Well it's fun to watch! :D :)   Hay with enouf beer it could even be fun to try but without the beer it looks like PAIN! :o   Up hear we get a bit stupid long about April first and do stuff like dress up like an outhouse and ski down a hill at 100 mile an hour into a pond of slush. :o   Then the croud geves you points on your style in the air and how blue you are and what shap your hair can freeze into after you get out.  ;D:D :D :D   NOT ME! I just watch!!   Thay bo a beter job with a couple of beers to. ;) :)
Andy

Ron Scott

Is the beer "Bush"or "Bosh"? ;)
~Ron

Jeff

heres a nuder one ah dem yoopers.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Having "tailgate" soup exactly 40 years later!   :) and that ski area doesn't exist anymore.  :'( A U.P. landmark, where was it?  
~Ron

Paul_H

Ron,
If that's you in the skiing picture,we would get along just fine on the ski hill.
Identical techniques 8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

ADfields

Well I posted on hear about the beer thay drink but it's GONE!! ???   Jeff, you shure things are up to snuff?

Beer's mostley Bud for the ones that land skis up like that. :D   Now for me the once or twice a year I drink a beer I take Moosehead. ;)   In the bush thay make some booze that is fermented in an old jug out in the shed and I read in the paper from time to time how someones tool shed exploded from a bad batch of bush booze, the stuff explodeds no kidding!
Andy

Ron Scott

I'm headed for Yopperland tomorrow for a few days and will probably do some skiing, "right side up" though.
~Ron

Mark M

My favorite uncle was a Yooper from up near Republic. Not only was he a Yooper, he was also a Finnlander! I remember him telling me a story about when he was visiting his brother who was living out in a shack cutting wood and peeling spruce. They sat down to have some soup for lunch and my uncle's brother reached across his plate to grab some bread. His pitch-soaked shirt sleeve fell into my uncles soup to which my uncle said "Hey Benny your shirt sleeve is in my soup!" Ben's reply was "Ya dats ok - it's a dirty shirt anyway"

Mark

chet

Thats a good one Mark, reading it I can still hear my neighbor Viner Eliasson (one true Yooper Finlander).  ;)   He pasted away not too long ago at the young age of 99. Must-a been all dem Sauna's!
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Mark M

I have to tell you another one about my uncle Myke, he was a really smart fellow who had a lot of "Fingenuity", that's what we called the unique creativity demonstrated by the Fins in Northern Minnesota. Sometimes ya just had to see to believe it. I had heard the term Yooper for a long time but it wasn't just until recently that I found out what it meant. The other day I went to a web page that explained some Yooper terms and suddenly a whole bunch of things fit into place. My uncle wasn't just a Finlander, he was a Yooper!

My folks lived back in the woods and had a driveway about ½ mile long. Myke's driveway was pretty long too and they always had trouble finding someone to plow snow. Myke decided to make his own snowplow so he fashioned this nice v-plow out of wood. Nothing too unusual about a wooden snowplow (I guess), but the one thing different about this one is he pulled it behind his station wagon! At first he had trouble with it whipping back and forth so he build a long rudder-like stabilizer that drug behind the plow. On the bottom of the stabilizer he had a metal blade made from a piece of old "misery whip". This really "done the trick" as he would say and the snowplow tracked as straight as could be. It worked surprising well as long as the snow wasn't more than about 4 inches deep and the car could still get through. When it was snowing hard he just went out every hour or so and drove up and down the road a couple of times. This worked great up until about the end of December when the snow started getting too deep and there was no place for it to go.

I'll always remember him driving around with this funny looking thing hanging out of the tailgate on his car, it made the car looked like it had wings. I guess this was pretty appropriate since Myke was a retired Navy pilot who flew in 3 wars.

Mark

AtLast

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!