iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cut a little jag before the snow.

Started by Kwill, January 10, 2019, 05:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

Thought I would get a little wood in before the 4-8 inches of snow that suppose to be coming in tommorow. Me and Mollie dog went over on the government land and cut this little jag. I buy a permit from the forestry dept that allows you to cut 4 cord of the dead stuff. Cost 20.00. This is all dead red oak.

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

samandothers

Nice afternoon outing with the log dog! 

Southside

Do they let you get that from over in Lost in the Woods or another piece of govt ground?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Looks like Mollie is having a good time!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kwill

Split and stacked in the dry. 
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Pine Ridge

Kwill I had to check out your profile to see where you are located, the woods in the pictures look like so many of the government roads and ridge tops here close to where I live, I knew you had to be in missouri !!! Forecasting 1to 4 inches for us, you must be close to Rolla.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Kwill

Quote from: Pine Ridge on January 10, 2019, 08:10:29 PM
Kwill I had to check out your profile to see where you are located, the woods in the pictures look like so many of the government roads and ridge tops here close to where I live, I knew you had to be in missouri !!! Forecasting 1to 4 inches for us, you must be close to Rolla.
I'm south of rolla close to Houston mo.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Allar

Wow it looks like spring over there. Nice load man.
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Kwill

We did have some days in the 60s last week 8)
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

hedgerow

We have had some nice days in east central Nebraska also but its been too muddy to work any wood without tearing up the pasture. The weather guesser's around here are all over the board from 1 to 6 inches of snow looks like more of it is staying south of us. You live in  a pretty part of the world. Years ago we used to go four wheeling down in your area lots of riding areas down there. 

TKehl

I hear you.  Still have a cord and a half under cover at the stove, but I still rolled a couple extra hand truck loads from another pile to better cover, "just cuz".  Probably an extra 3-4 days worth.

Took our last pig for now to the butcher yesterday afternoon.  ;D  Thought real hard about mounting the plow to the truck, but I'm supposed to work Saturday so settled for putting the blade on the tractor instead.  Expecting 6-8" here, but I always like to play with the WPC forecast and we could conceivable get 10-12.  

Going to be hoping for froze ground or some drying weather as probably still need to pull out about a cord each this winter for my house and my parents or we'll have to get into the emergency stash.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Kwill

Tkehl they keep changing the snow amounts and moving it more north. I put my blade on the tractor just in case. Last night they said 6-9 here. This morning 1-4. We will see what they say on the noon news. Rain here now. I was going to a auction tomorrow at buffalo but I am sure they will cancel it.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

TKehl

This is what I like to look at.

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/pwpf/wwd_percentiles.php?ftype=percentiles&fpd=72&ptype=snow

Looks like we've moved from the 6-8" into the 8-10" range.   :(  Wish I had my plow truck legal now.   ::)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Kwill

According to that im in the 4 inch range
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

TKehl

We ended up with 12-13".  Wish I had gone out to cut more.  They're calling for this to melt off (mud), then rain switching to snow this weekend with single digit lows Sat. night...  Expecting 5" then.  

Did you make it to the auction?

Kwill

They postponed the auction till wednesday. We ended up with rain that froze on the limbs. Kinda like a ice storm. It was worse south and wesf of me. Lost power for a few hours. Got my generator box all hooked up to my breaker box. At least now all i have to do is roll the generator out and hook a cord up. This weekend dont sound good.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Farm29

I am just north of the state capital and ended up with every bit of 10-12 in.  I enjoy a good snow but ready for some to melt off and freeze up the mud underneath. Luckly I had brought a 16' trailer of red oak rounds up before the snow that I got split up yesterday for the hardy. 
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Kwill

Quote from: Farm29 on January 15, 2019, 09:06:09 AM
I am just north of the state capital and ended up with every bit of 10-12 in.  I enjoy a good snow but ready for some to melt off and freeze up the mud underneath. Luckly I had brought a 16' trailer of red oak rounds up before the snow that I got split up yesterday for the hardy.
There is a good auction uo by you tommorow. I wanted to go but doubt i will make it
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

TKehl

Ice sucks.  I was in Springfield when they had their big ice storm in... around 2007.  

This storm was bad enough that we lost branches and a few trees from sticky snow.  Well, at least the goats have some food they can reach.   :D

I'm thinking real hard about laying down some Cedar branches, topping with a pile of cut wood from stuff I cut down a few years ago, then tarping the whole thing.  Can go back and get it when the ground freezes...

Sure looks like the next snow is going to stick around a few weeks...

Kwill

Yeah a couple good days then really cold this weekend. I got somre green i need to get cut up and put in the shed. Im thinking about going and cutting some more dead stuff before this weekend if this ice ever melts off.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Farm29

Where is the auction at ?  It sounds like round two this weekend they seem to be all over the place with there predictions we will see when it gets here.  I'm ready for a freeze up theres a lot of dead trees to get out but has been to muddy to get to them 
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Kwill

Quote from: Farm29 on January 15, 2019, 09:16:31 PM
Where is the auction at ?  It sounds like round two this weekend they seem to be all over the place with there predictions we will see when it gets here.  I'm ready for a freeze up theres a lot of dead trees to get out but has been to muddy to get to them
its in columbia at the college.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

TKehl

I for one am glad my local snow forecast is decreasing.  Talking a max of 2" now.  The old snow is melted down to around 3" left and should be less as we are supposed to get rain before snow.  Those are numbers I can work with!  

With the cold coming, the ground should freeze up even with a bit of insulation.  

Kwill, you must go to a lot of auctions.  How far do you go for them?  I try and keep tabs, but I don't see any that catch my interest until February.  

Thank You Sponsors!