iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replace engine on Woodmizer LT30

Started by Overlength, October 16, 2013, 04:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overlength

I want to replace an old Engine on my Woodmizer 1985 LT30. It has a Kohler 20 HP. I would like to add more HP for cutting wide slabs of hardwoods. Can someone suggest a good choice that I should be satisfied. Good running, and powerful. Maybe a Kohler 25, or 28 ? Thanks
Woodmizer LT30, Solar Kiln 400 bf

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Overlength on October 16, 2013, 04:37:48 PM
I want to replace an old Engine on my Woodmizer 1985 LT30. It has a Kohler 20 HP. I would like to add more HP for cutting wide slabs of hardwoods. Can someone suggest a good choice that I should be satisfied. Good running, and powerful. Maybe a Kohler 25, or 28 ? Thanks

I have the Kohler 29. Woodmizer can tell you what your mill will be able to handle and what it will take to make your new engine fit. Give'em a call.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Overlength

Thanks. I called them. Otto their engine guy is in South America. Back in a week. I thought I might get some good suggestions in the meantime from the experience here. I want to pull the trigger on this soon as he gets back, so I will have already weighed most engine options, the pros and cons that are avalible now. Thanks. I quess a 27 would be a good choice.

47sawdust

The previous owner of my mill replaced it with a Honda GX670,depending upon what you want to believe it is either a 20 or 24hp engine.It has been trouble free with plenty of power.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

dgdrls

Quote from: 47sawdust on October 16, 2013, 05:51:17 PM
The previous owner of my mill replaced it with a Honda GX670,depending upon what you want to believe it is either a 20 or 24hp engine.It has been trouble free with plenty of power.

I agree, factory Honda power is top shelf,

DGDrls

Chuck White

I don't know a lot about LT-30's, but I know that the replacement for my LT-40 will be a Kohler 25hp.

If you order from Wood-Mizer, they can provide the replacement engine with all the throttle linkage and drive pulley.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

grweldon

I have the Kohler 25 Command Pro.  It runs well.  Doesn't start quickly with the electric start, possibly 3-5 seconds after turning the key sometimes.  Don't have any experience with other engines.  If you go to the 27 it is fuel injected (don't know if a carb. version is available).  It is probably the same size.  With FI you get more sensors and more parts to fail at the price of better fuel economy and less cylinder washing which probably increases lifespan.  I would imagine the Kohler line for sawmills is quite a bit cheaper than the Hondas.  If not, I'd probably go with a Honda.  JMHO...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Overlength

Thanks for all your suggestions so far. Sounds like a new Kohler 25 would be a lot better than an old Kohler 20. Some of the others way better. I can only imagine what it would be like to go out and just cut wood steady production with a strong new engine for several years. If I painted my mill it might run even better. Everything else works fine. Cuts straight. Should also replace all the meters that don't work and old wiring while I'm waiting on engine. Any more advise is appreciated.

Bibbyman

I can't say for sure but an 85 model may be limited on the weight of engine it can handle.  May require up/down motor change and or lift chain.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

delvis

I had a Kohler 28 on my last mill (Timber Harvester) and we went with the kohler 39 on the LT40.  I am from the more is better school when it comes to horsepower.  I'd like to have 150 horsepower and a 6" double cut blade on that thing.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

SawyerBrown

Quote from: grweldon on October 17, 2013, 09:09:38 AM
I have the Kohler 25 Command Pro.  It runs well.  Doesn't start quickly with the electric start, possibly 3-5 seconds after turning the key sometimes.  Don't have any experience with other engines.  If you go to the 27 it is fuel injected (don't know if a carb. version is available).  It is probably the same size.  With FI you get more sensors and more parts to fail at the price of better fuel economy and less cylinder washing which probably increases lifespan.  I would imagine the Kohler line for sawmills is quite a bit cheaper than the Hondas.  If not, I'd probably go with a Honda.  JMHO...

gr, I have the Kohler 25 Command Pro on my LT35 as well, and it pops right off when you turn the key.  So maybe yours is atypical and the problem can be addressed.  Don't have any particular suggestions, though.  Spark and gas ought to be enough to get her going.  Spark plug gap??
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Overlength

As far as weight, the old engine must be at least 150 lbs +. I can barely lift it off. Feels like 250 lbs. So mill lift should handle easy new 30 HP. I am inclined to go big as possible, long as there is a noticeable difference . I'm not getting any younger, and on those wide hard boards, I don't want get bored and fall asleep. But if not real difference , something midrange that doesn't push the limits on everything else. Want to go fast as possible in the cut, but safely.

Bibbyman

Is the engine dead on you mill?

A couple of things to try is to check the top RPM to see if it's less than what it should be.   Engines are rated at a top RPM. A couple of hundred below rated and their horse power drops considerably.  I'm thinking Wood-Mizer revised some of the recommend top RPM settings some time back.

Along with RPMs is getting them all to the blade.  Check the main belt condition and tension.   
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

grweldon

Quote from: SawyerBrown on October 17, 2013, 02:04:15 PM
gr, I have the Kohler 25 Command Pro on my LT35 as well, and it pops right off when you turn the key.  So maybe yours is atypical and the problem can be addressed.  Don't have any particular suggestions, though.  Spark and gas ought to be enough to get her going.  Spark plug gap??

That's interesting.  I was going to include in my post that it might be due to fuel tank placement or plumbing but decided not to.  I've only got about 50 hours on the engine, never had the plug out.  I'll check it.  I don't know about your setup but my mill is rather new at a 2012 model so it has fuel venting that runs through an charcoal evap cannister due to EPA regs.  Maybe that has something to do with it.  I'll have to investigate.  It would be nice if the engine cranked right up and it's nice to know it can!  Thanks...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

isawlogs

I would put new plugs on that engin and try it out.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ladylake

My old 27hp Kohler always had to crank while on the first start, more when it was cold out.  Are the ones that start right up fuel injected? Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

pineywoods

re: replacement motor..  From someone who has been there, a couple of things to consider.  1  weight..the head lift mechanics on the older mills won't tolerate much additional weight. 2 drive belt guards....If the crank pulley height on the new engine is different from the old one, the belt guards won't fit properly. They are more than a safety feature. The guards hold the drive belt in an oval shape when the belt is loose for de-clutch. If the guards don't fit properly, you will wear out drive belts in a hurry. 3 ignition switch..On most older engines, the ignition switch grounds a lead on the magneto to kill the spark. Newer ones open the power lead to the electronics. Just backwards from each other.
4,,exhaust/muffler will most likely be different. On mine, the exhaust pointed right at the plastic fuel tank.
  Unless you luck up on a real good deal, better off going with woodmizer. They have a complete conversion kit with all the kinks worked out...
I swapped out an 18 hp briggs for a 25 hp liquid cooled kawasaki..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Russ

Just wondering if the 7hp more you are getting out of the Kawasaki is worth the upgrade ? Does it accommodate a separate alternator or generator ? I have a 18 hp Briggs and have thought that I was able to push faster when I had a 28hp Kohler.

pineywoods

Quote from: Russ on February 17, 2019, 08:29:36 PM
Just wondering if the 7hp more you are getting out of the Kawasaki is worth the upgrade ? Does it accommodate a separate alternator or generator ? I have a 18 hp Briggs and have thought that I was able to push faster when I had a 28hp Kohler.
Yes, the extra horsepower and torque made a big difference, BUT,the briggs was very tired, had over 6000 hours. The kawasaki only has a 20 amp internal alternator, so I occasionally have to top off the battery with a charger overnite. Usually when I do a lot of head up/down due to sawing large logs through and through. I,ve been happy with the kaw after around 3000 hrs of sawing.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

jb616

I went from my old cast iron 14hp Kohler single to a 24hp Onan twin on a 1984 LT 30.  There are definitely modifications that you have to do including a different belt(s). I had to attach a larger engine mount plate and cut a small amount for belt clearance.  The old Kohler was a runner but the Onan is a lot better. Don't expect a bolt on unless it is offered by Woodmizer as a direct replacement. Also, take the time to make sure the pulleys are lined up perfectly. Even though it is a bit heavier, my Up/Down motor doesn't seem to have a problem lifting it. 

richhiway

My LT 40 has a Kohler  26.5 with fuel injection. It starts instantly and idles perfect at any temperature.
It runs very clean, and seems to be very good on fuel. It also picks up the governor easily and seems to saw with no effort. 

I only have about 50 hrs on it so far but in general electronic engine controls tend to be very reliable so although it may be more technical to repair you might never need too. 

If I was going to spend the $$ to upgrade I think fuel injection is worth it. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!