iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

levers to joysticks

Started by wesley, October 24, 2013, 03:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesley

hey all
am new here hoping for help.

I am looking for info from anybody familiar with manual joystick linkages, The first machine I owned was a Timberjack 610 which had a manual system on it but don't really remember what it looked like. since then I have owned several dif machines that were all electric over hydraulic controlls. Now I am trying to get back to hand cutting and skidding my own wood and am purchasing a 94 valmet 544 with levers, I would really like to put a manul joystick system in it.
I have heard of a couple diferant ways to do it and have seen one machine with a pretty sweet  setup on in it. It consisted of a bracket above the lever holes going out to hold two canister style joysticks with two ball joint linkages on the front and side of each canister attached to the levers which were cut off, and one linkage going down to a  footswing.
would really like to hear from someone who has done this, I would emagine that this could be time consuming trying to get everthing right. Cant find any pictures on the net.
any info or a picture or drawing would be much appreciated, or if someone out there knows of a place/person in northcentral wisconsin/the U.P. that could build it.

thank you

barbender

Welcome wesley I can't help much, what you want to do sounds like a tall order. Is your machine currently servo operated? I run a Ponsse Buffalo forwarder, I never have gotten to like the servo controls. They are easy on the hands and nice to run, but it feels to me like the controls are connected to the crane with rubber bands, if that makes sense ::) They are decent when you are flying but anything that requires detail is a real challenge for me, like when I have to sort small sticks that get mixed together.
Too many irons in the fire

1270d

Barbender you should be able to change the control ramps in the computer to your liking.  You can make them feel really quick and direct.  The ramp speeds smooth everything out a lot.

We ran a 544 for a while.  It had five levers to control the functions.  I would like to see pics the setup with joysticks if you get it worked out

barbender

I've had my computer adjusted about every which way, the problem I have is more of a "feel" thing. Right now I am running with zero ramp on anything, except my boom extension, and I have the "filter" setting all the way down, so I think that's about as direct as I can get it. I've ran one of our new forwarders, and that one felt a lot better, just using the factory settings. One of Ponsse's techs told me the older computer system has a 200ms delay, I don't know if it just communicates that slow or if it is intentional. On the other hand, others do just fine with these machines, the main problem may be on the operator side ;D

bushmechanic

Hello wesley you can go one of two ways there,manual linkages or remote cables. If you want to see how to make those manual linkages I suggest you find a truck mounted loader and you will get an idea of how to set those up. Look for a loader with a single lever on each side of the operator seat such as a Prentice F90. Any good hydraulic shop should be able to set you up with the remote cables but be warned they can get pricey. Good luck.

wesley

Thanks BushMech, great advice, what you said made me think of more google terms and have found some pictures that got the wheels in my head turning.

Bar the machine I am buying is just a manual 5 lever system no pilot or electric over. Don't know what the issue is with your machine I recently sold a 96 ponsse HS15 harvester That I ran for several years I liked the way the controlls felt. 

barbender

I see wesley, you have the old set up where you have a lever under each finger and one you have to get with your teeth ;D I don't know that my machine has an issue, it may be more on the operator side of things ::) I just remember on the Serco center mount loader, one guy told me it looked like I could pick blueberries with it :D I hope you get your system figured out.

wesley

So getting the machine delivered today to my home/shop going to keep it here untill monday then to a job. Have a plan in my head I think might work am hoping to leave levers intacked so could use either them or joysticks. but we'll see, I am hoping in the end to not have to use my teeth ;D

barbender

Good luck with it, wesley. I've heard a few fellas say they learned on the old 4 lever on the center mounts, I think you still had a foot swing. Then the joysticks came out and they had a hard time getting used to them ::)

logging pete

My partner had his 544 changed to joysticks by my cousin in Marenisco MI, works good uses a foot swing to do it.

logging pete

If you want to see it and run it, you can meet us tomorrow Fri. It is to wet to work, so we are looking at the state sales. We will be at The Northern Café few miles north of Woodruff on 51 at 6:00 A.M. for breakfast.

wesley

Hey thanks pete. Are you driving the 544 for breakfast  :D? Is the machine close to there or is it up north somewhere? would like to see it but I don't know if I could make it in the morning. Im going to bid openning in the afternoon. Are you?

Also does your cousin have a shop or does he just do stuff on the side? Would not mind paying someone to help who has done it before.

I'm thinking with how wore the levers/linkages are I should make new ones, pretty sloppy.

logging pete

We should be at the bids, could go after, about 8miles north of there. They don't look that difficult to make, once you see them.

wesley

So have figured out how I want to do it (thanks Pete) now I have a new ? I need to change the functions on my valve bank, Currently the jib boom is next to the main boom. Leaving it this way would put them on the same joystick so need to switch jib and one of the bucket functions. I don't think I can just switch hoses, do I need to pull the bank and switch the slices or pull spools and then change the relief settings. allthough Maybe they would be the same the jib has to have presure both ways.
again this is on a 94 valmet 544X with a cranab loader
Thanks everybody for all your help

1270d

We restacked the valve sections in our 544 to get the desired lever pattern.  I don't remember it being that bad of a job.  You may be better off just swapping hoses, spools and reliefs.

Thank You Sponsors!