iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone every try a pull pal?

Started by David B, November 17, 2005, 09:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David B

Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

Deadwood

I have never used one, but I read about a group of Pick-Up Fourwheelers using one to get out of some rough places. They claimed they worked good, at least on sand. I would think the snow would have to be just right for it to work on that material, and useless in any terrain that was rocky and hard panned. (Kind of like a farmer plow having a hard time digging in) Perhaps it would work in the woods getting hooked up on roots and stuff, but where their are roots, their usually are trees and that might make for a better purchase point.

Personally I don't think it would be worth it. A...because its just something else to tote around and B...how many times would you be in the spot where only that would work? That is, away from friends, out of cell phone range, no trees around, etc.

When you are stuck, usually there are alternatives besides resorting to some fabricated sheet metal thingy. That's just my opinion though.

David B

Yah I shoulda thought o that   ::) loggers usuallly have trees around.  Down here trees are few and far between, I was thinking of making something like that to use for a pulley point, but I bet it doesn't work if you're pulling up, only horizontally. 
Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

Deadwood

That's okay, the great thing about forums is that you get other peoples thoughts. Sometimes when you are in a jamb, you don't see the solutions that other people do. You also get opinions from all over the country. I saw you were from CA, but darn that is a big state...that is..I was not sure if you were in the dessert near Needles, in the woods near the Redwoods, or in the fertile fields around Fresno. You were a bit vague on what you were going to use it for to, so I just sent a few general thoughts.

I was a bit hestitant to respond because I did not want you thinking I am opinionated, or disliked this particular product. I am just kind of a minimalist. After 31 years of life I get tired of wading through a bunch of trinkets to get me out of a situation. I'm trying a new approach as I reach middle age...not to get stuck in the first place!

Dan_Shade

I got my truck stuck in a guy's yard once, luckily it was dark by the time I really got it stuck.  I tore that place up ;D

sometimes you need an anchor point like that, but I tend to agree with deadwood, I already carry around too much crap.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

maple flats

Me too. Looks like it would work but I never got stuck where there was nothing to hook onto. If I was in a place with very few trees or large rocks maybe. I carry too much now.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Sprucegum

I have been stuck out on the praire where I had to drive a crow bar in the ground to winch to.
It worked and it didn't cost $500 ;)

sawguy21

Quote from: Sprucegum on November 19, 2005, 10:28:59 PM
I have been stuck out on the praire where I had to drive a crow bar in the ground to winch to.
It worked and it didn't cost $500 ;)
Works for me too ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

Hadn't thought of the crowbar trick.  I'm not in the habit of getting stuck, but I usually take a good heavy mattock to the woods with me.  You can dig a trench for a "deadman" anchor in a short with that.  It's handy for a lot of other things, too.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!