iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone Using A Log Wizard?

Started by twostroke_blood, May 26, 2005, 05:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twostroke_blood

I used this thing for the first time Saturday. Man, it really strips the bark off the log.       

Brad_S.

I agree, it sure removes bark, but IMO it's not a good all round sawmill debarker. When I really needed it to remove some caked on mud that was partly frozen, it wore the blades down to nubs while clearing enough for only one pass of the saw mill. I sold it shortly after that. If you're building a log home and need to strip bark, I bet it's a real time saver.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Gilman

Can you show us what the debarked log looks like?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

twostroke_blood

I didnt take any pics of the de-barked logs Gilman, but I'll be using it this weekend and I'll take some. ;D

Bibbyman

I had one for 4-5 and never got it out of the box.  Sold it.

What would help if it had carbide teeth (blades) that would last longer in the grit and dirt - the reason you need it in the first place.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

twostroke_blood

If ya never took it out of the box how do ya know it doesnt hold up to the dirt and grit? :)  What are you using to strip away the mud,ice,dirt?   While were on the subject Bibbyman what are the best band blades out there with regaurds to holding up to dirty logs?

Bibbyman

Quote from: twostroke_blood on May 26, 2005, 08:06:02 PM
If ya never took it out of the box how do ya know it doesnt hold up to the dirt and grit? :)  What are you using to strip away the mud,ice,dirt?   While were on the subject Bibbyman what are the best band blades out there with regaurds to holding up to dirty logs?

Got me on that one.. :-[ 

At first.. I never got around to mounting it on a chainsaw.  Then I was told by others that a diet of dirt, grit, and rocks were hard on the blades - plus,  it was pretty hard work holding onto it.  I just took their word on it.  I then installed a debarker so I didn't need it. 

We still "hack off" caked on mud and such with an ax or sometimes with a good whack with a splitting mall will bust off heavy caked on mud – then saw with a debarker.  (not nearly every log, mind you – just the real cruddy ones.)

We've been using Wood-Mizer DoubleHard exclusively for the past 5 years or more.  They appear to last longer than the blades of any manufacture we were using before.  We've not even tried anything else since then.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

I have one mounted ona bar and have used it and it does do a good job.  Trouble for me is it really trows off the balance of the saw and gets to be a pain to use, but I do dig it out around iron removing time, or ifin I got a real nasty dirty log.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Engineer

I got one mounted on an extra bar for my Stihl 025.  It's great in winter when the log is dirty/iced up/gritty/full of crud.  I usually don't bother in the summer and just scrape bark off with a sharp MUTT - one o' them ice scraper things on a long shovel handle. 

One thing I did do is move the blades out a bit from the factory setting.  The first time I used it, I found that they stopped cutting after a very short time.  I was really disappointed until I moved the blades.  It takes a bit more effort to use now, but it seems to work a lot better.  I have probably stripped bark from maybe 30 logs with it, and haven't needed to sharpen blades so far.

I really wouldn't consider it as a substitute for a mill-mounted debarker, it's just too much effort.

Stump Jumper

a custom shortened bar will make this machine almost loveable ::) ::) balance is perfect on my 028  ;)

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

mometal77

I have heard of using high pressure water to remove bark.  I could imagine using it on cedar logs not maple or fir. And after it has set for a few months.  And then use an old fashioned flat edge scraper to take the nubbins out.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

twostroke_blood

O.K that short bar is too cool

Tom_Averwater

I have one . It works good.  It's mounted on the same model saw you  have Twostroke_blood.

He who dies with the most toys wins .

twostroke_blood

That model 61 husky is maybe the best saw i ever owned, i took it out of the storage to do this job.I forgot what a nice saw it is. Its almost too much saw for the log wizard

woodmills1

must say, don't ya love those old 028's  :D great saws.  I still see them in the second hand shops for 100 or less.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

redpowerd

does the wizzard cover you with wood chips?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Quartlow

Quote from: redpowerd on May 28, 2005, 08:21:31 AM
does the wizzard cover you with wood chips?

YES!! And I'm here to tell you if it grabs a rock you better be wearing a pair of chaps, learned that lesson the hard way. I personaly used mine on two really bad logs and its sitting on a shelf now.

Since I don't have a debarker on the mill my new approach is to use a cheap lennox blade and just skim the log and keep rolling it till its cleaned off, switch back to a good blade and go to making boards.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

isawlogs

I bought one in 94  and have been using it since ,  the knives to get dull on thick caked mud that is in pine bark ... but only takes but a few minutes to change the knives , I tried the carbide blades on it ... dont go there ... they break easily ..  I have mine install on a 034  with a short bar like  stump_jumper has his ..  makes it comfortable ... well as comfortable as working with it gets ..I,ll get a pic of it and post it here later on today .

Woodmills     those 028's where and stihl are a good saw .  ;D  We can get them new here , dont know if they will be or are as good as the old ones though .  

Quartlow ... is it for sale , mine has a lot of millage and will need to be replaced in the near futur ...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Quartlow

I don't know, I try not to sell anything  :D :D every time I do I end up wishing I hadn't.

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

isawlogs

I thought I was the only one doing that ...  ;)  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

redpowerd

quartlow, that seems like too much work for me!
i get all my logs put up at the mill before the ground thaws, but i know most of you folks do this full time and cant allways do that.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Russ

My log wizard held up pretty good.I elongated the center holes on the blades to get more use out of them & ran the blades out alittle further to get more bite. Went through several blades and replaced the bearings too. I'm not so happy with the timber tuff but I'm thinking of building a beefed up version of their log roller .

Thank You Sponsors!