iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust Buildup (continued)

Started by D6c, April 04, 2020, 01:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

I'd asked about sawdust buildup on the top frame rail of my '87 LT40 in this earlier thread.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=110047.msg1721418#msg1721418

It was mentioned that there's an oiled felt wiper on some mills as well as the plastic scraper to clear sawdust from the upper rail.
I've looked through the LT40 parts manuals I have.  ('87, '92, & 2008 )  but don't see any felt wipers.

Any idea what years they might have used the felt?  

Bandmill Bandit

The only WM mills that DON"T have the felt wiper are the twin rail LT10/15.

ALL mono rail mills have the wiper between the mast posts under the black steel cover/defelector shield. Not sure of part number but i just buy a new shield complete with the new felt when I need it. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

D6c

Maybe that's the problem.... I thought they meant it was by the plastic wipers.
I'll have to look under the center cover.

jeepcj779

Are these the correct manuals for your mill? Pg 3-4 in the operators manual, and 6-2 in the parts manual.

D6c

Quote from: jeepcj779 on April 04, 2020, 04:30:20 PM
Are these the correct manuals for your mill? Pg 3-4 in the operators manual, and 6-2 in the parts manual.
Those appear to be the same manuals I have but they don't exactly match how my mill is built.  The covers over the top rollers on my mill are just a sheet metal plate that bolts on.  What's in the manual looks to be a hinged cover.  The manual must be for a slightly different version.
I removed the rail cover that's between the rollers and there's no evidence there was ever any felt wiper there.  I'll have to give WoodMizer a call to see if there's something I can add, and see if they have any suggestion on how to keep the sawdust from packing on the rails.

Bandmill Bandit

I am gona take a guess and say the wiper felt is gone. 

There should be 2 short, sharp tabs about 2 inches from each end that hold the felt in place. Just order a new one complete with felt  from WM. They will get you the right one. Some where on your mill there will be a tag that has the revision number on it. 

With the serial number and the revision then they'll get you the right one.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

beav

The piece "between the rollers" was updated in the 90's to include felt wipers. The new cover style has felt wipers, bolts right on,  and costs little. I have the same mill as you and updated it decades ago. It fixed the sawdust buildup problem. It does require cleaning and oiling

Magicman

In addition to the metal cover with the felt underneath, there should also be a white plastic/teflon scraper on the inside of both cam follower covers which removes any sawdust from the top rail going forward or back.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

D6c

Sounds like I need the update.  I remade the plastic scrapers a while ago because they were cracked.  

Thank You Sponsors!