iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

band sharpening ?

Started by PoDunk, February 22, 2010, 03:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoDunk

The other day I was sawing and dulled out my last sharp band, tried tuching up a few teeth with a dremal but just couldnt get them sharp.
As I was putting up my dremal I just happened to look over and see a diamond sharpener on a shelf, well figured what the heck nothing to loose.
After laying the band on the floor teeth up I ran the sharpener along the top of the teeth on a couple foot section,with two lite passes checked the teeth with my fingers and was very supprised to find they grabbed my skin like fishooks, so I gave the rest of the band the same treatment.
Put the band back on the saw and it cut just like new.
Now for the question:
Has anyone else tried this and how many times do you think that I can do this without taking off to much of the teeth tips and ruining the blade ?

This is the sharpener that was used.

Puffergas

Just have to keep trying it. Might be a good aid to conventional sharpening....

Jeff
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Tom

There's nothing wrong with it if it works.  A light face grind will sometimes return a tooth to cutting sharpness.

Just for the sake of being critical though:

Without a good means to hold the sharpening medium in line with the tooth, you stand a chance of changing the hook of the tooth and even making it erratic.

Don't be wooed by the tooth catching your finger or nail.  It can be sharp and still not sharp in the right places.  You want the top of the tooth sharp, but it is very important that the corners of the teeth are sharp.  Sometimes that even reqires more than one pass around a mechanical sharpener.

Hand sharpening can disfigure the transition curve at the bottom of the face and inhibit the smooth flow of sawdust into the gullet

The square corners of a file or stone may create grooves that could weaken the band enough that it would work harden in that spot as it passed around the band wheels.

These are only things that could happen, not that will happen.

sgschwend

Hey, that stones is the same color as your sawmill!   ;)
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

bandmiller2

Po,you'll give out before the band using that diamond hone.Good stopgap between full gullet sharpenings.You will soon get to the point where you need a proper grinding to restore the hook angle  clean the gullet,and set the teeth.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

woeboy

heck ya great thinking keep us informed please 8)

Thank You Sponsors!