iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

breaking in boots, work boots,

Started by drobertson, November 06, 2013, 09:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Just wondering how folks do it, and what about the small issues that arise with the seams around the ankle bones,  after you get home and walk through the chicken coop,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

I always did it a little at a time. Wear the news ones for 2-3 hours a day. About a week will do it,I think. I had a pair of Herman Survivors years ago. Those critters was hard to get comfortable, But once they was break in,they was fine. Keep the tongue where it belongs too. Sometimes it will slide over and it will always go there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SPIKER

I always go for a good coating of mink oil and top it with some shoe polish to help soften them up.   The best to coat them 2 or 3 times and then again every 4 or 6 months...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

florida

If they aren't comfortable all day the first day they don't fit. It really doesn't matter what they cost either. As we get older we lose the fat padding on our feet and the shoes that used to fit don't. Go to a good shoe store where they still take time to fit you and get your shoes there. It won't be cheap but your new boots won't need any "breaking in."
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

red oaks lumber

a shoe shouldn't need to be "broke" in, if your foot dosent  thankyou after the first full day wearing them,you are wearing the wrong style/brand of boots.  just my opinion :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Chuck White

Back when I was still in the service, we used to "break them in"/ soften the leather by filling them with water and let them stay that way over-night, the next morning, get up and empty them, wipe them out with paper towling and put them on.

We would "wear" them dry, then we would put sealer and shoe polish on them at the end of that day!

Of course we didn't do that on inspection day!  :-[
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

justallan1

For lace-ups I agree with Red Oaks that you shouldn't have to break in a boot, a whole lot anyway. I'll put some oil on them to soften them up a bit around the ankle and wear them.

Allan

Raider Bill

Quote from: Chuck White on November 07, 2013, 07:53:07 AM
Back when I was still in the service, we used to "break them in"/ soften the leather by filling them with water and let them stay that way over-night, the next morning, get up and empty them, wipe them out with paper towling and put them on.

We would "wear" them dry, then we would put sealer and shoe polish on them at the end of that day!

Of course we didn't do that on inspection day!  :-[

I still do that it molds the leather to your feet.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

gspren

I quit using mink oil because it softens the leather too much, I need the ankle support plus soft leather cuts too quick. I now use Sno-Seal which is a bees wax product and I get longer life from my boots, just takes a bit more time to apply correctly.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

SPIKER

Quote from: gspren on November 07, 2013, 08:54:09 AM
  I quit using mink oil because it softens the leather too much, I need the ankle support plus soft leather cuts too quick. I now use Sno-Seal which is a bees wax product and I get longer life from my boots, just takes a bit more time to apply correctly.

Yes the mink oil softens the leather, and lets them mold to your feet a bit better, the wax/polish follow up helps to seal them up.   My foot does not fit OFF SHELF shoes/boots.   the closest are Wolverines in 9.5" EE wide in OLD days the new ones seem to be sized differently as they are not as fitting as they used to be. 

I'm not real hard on boots, I dont walk around KICKING stuff very often with bad leg/back I have to be careful where I'm walking and take more time...   Used to just run about without issues with military boot that NEVER fit me I always had issues then.   

We did the WET the new boots in military too first day start out with them in the shower on our feet.   get out and dump out extra water wipe dry with damp towel and put them back on go for hike/march/obstacle course....   get back set under bed shower up again come out wipe down boots hit them with foot powder inside and shoe polish outside.   Lace them up tight and go to dinner and Drill, Marching Practice in evening...   next day or so feet on some of us was hurting but those people didnt stuff towel inside to dry some after showering in them.   The desert camo/Jungle boots in the early 90's were much better than the 80's style hard leather ones.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

LaneC

Back in the day when we were offshore for a couple or few months at a time, we would have to get or wives to send us boots. I always got Red Wings which are high quality and made in America. When I got them I would take 30 or 40 weight engine oil (clean not used) and rub them down with it. I have also soaked them with WD-40 and they get water proof and last a long time.
Man makes plans and God smiles

drobertson

Boots are fine now, did the shaving cream treatment, on the brand around the brand at the ankle,  it has worked on many of ball gloves, they feel great, also followed cfarms  way,  the following few days,  I have a good pair for awhile now,  thanks for all the input!  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Leigh Family Farm

When I break in my new hiking boots, I heat the inside with a hairdryer and then wear them for about 3-4 hours. I would then put them on for a few hours each day for a week. As others have said, I also put on a good coat of beeswax or natural leather protectant every 6 months or so.

I agree in that when you buy high-quality boots (Redwings, Danners, etc.) they should fit near perfect the moment you leave the store. This is also due to the fact that these stores spend a lot of time sizing your foot and getting the proper fit. On the other hand, off the shelf boots (Timberland, Merrills, LaSportiva, etc.) are sized to fit most feet so some breaking will be neccessary.

I'm glad your boots now fit great.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

pappy19

Very best way to break in a new pair of leather boots is to lace them up and then put your feet in hot water in the bath tub until they are soaked through then walk them dry. After another day or so, then rub a bee's wax and oil on them. White's Boots has a good one.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Thank You Sponsors!