iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

starlings

Started by trapper, June 11, 2013, 12:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

need advice on ways to get rid of starlings.  They dont hang around long enough to get a shot when they see me.  Got 3 with longspring traps in the last 2 days. manure all over and they steal the cats food.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

beenthere

Where are they roosting?

Is that where the droppings are at?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kderby

Long Spring trap?  Is that a rat trap?  Starlings are a disease!

I have backyard chickens.  Starlings eat the feed an foul everything else.

Kderby

limbrat

Have you tried hanging the dead ones to warn off the rest?
ben

Ianab

Strangely enough, all the local farmers WANT starlings. Reason is we have a grub that eats the roots of grass, causing big dead patches in the dry weather. They are the favourite food of starlings and can really help control them.
So they go to the extent of putting up nest boxes to encourage them to nest around the farms.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

trapper

perching everywhere.  Shepards crook open pole barn, trees in yard' This is not a rat trap regular long spring animal trap, but kills them when caught. living anyplace they can find a hole.  They just fly over and leave their droppings on the car and truck.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

beenthere

Good video.
If I have this right, the shooter looks at the camera screen to know when the crosshairs are on target. And at the same time, makes a video.

I like that. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

curdog

I lived on a dairy farm for a few years and there was a real bad problem with cowbirds and starlings. I took an old bag of seed and made a bait pile about 15-20 yards from the house. I'd wait until the pile got covered in starlings and stick my 12 gauge with a fairly open choke in it out the window and could usually get 8-10 in each shot. And it wouldn't take long until more showed up to the pile. A week or so of this and the starlings were few and far between.

ely

indiaxman1

Wasted many cowbirds early....22lr...parasites prey on songbirds/wood thrush...have been major reason for decline of species...was told once cowbirds are protected (migratory songbirds)...realize my actions aren't going to change ecology of my area, but they won't be a menace in my holler.....let blackbirds, jays have a pass...at least they raise their own young

Thank You Sponsors!