iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying SYP?

Started by willmyers0169, June 08, 2014, 08:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willmyers0169

my wife has decided she wants wide plank pine floors instead of oak. :) How long should SYP be air dryed then kiln dried before processing?
Machinist, WM LT15 230 JD skidsteer 2010 JD 2955 JD Jonsered chainsaw

scsmith42

At this time of the year 4/4 SYP will AD down to 15% MC in less than 90 days.  After that a few days in the kiln to bring it down to 6 - 8%, and be sure to run the temp up to 160+ at the end of the load in order to set the pitch in the lumber (or you risk it bleeding out of your flooring.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Den Socling

White Oak would make a better floor IMO.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

SYP is very hard to dry straight and flat unless you have very large trees.  Today's trees and lumber are full of compression wood and juvenile wood, plus some spiral grain, which all cause warp.  If you are drying your own lumber, order at least 33% extra.  Once in the floor and then the moisture changes, you can again see a few pieces warping and causing trouble.  Most of the old SYP floors were long leaf (or heart) pine which is a very good species, but is very rare now as most of the trees were cut and the remaining are being saved for environmental reasons, including the red cockaded woodpecker.  Some lumber sold today as heart pine is not.  Finally, it is rare to find someone drying SYP to the low MC required for flooring. If you do, double check the MC.  But this low MC means the wood is difficult to machine into flooring without a lot of chipped grain, and then it is very tough to nail it without bending the flooring nails and also breaking the tongue.  Most SYp is fastened through the face with screws in predrilled holes and then a wood plug in the hole to cover the screw head.  Bottom line:  consider a different species, like white oak or eastern white pine.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Magicman

This load of SYP was stickered for about a month before it went into the kiln. 

Then is was planed and T&G.

It made wall paneling.

And flooring.

The walls got a Whitewash Pickleing stain and the flooring got Special Walnut stain and Poly.

All was surface nailed with 15 ga nails.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gadrock

Were the surface nails then "set" deeper by hand, or possibly air driven to "below surface" level?

This project looks attractive.

And I thought I saw a beach umbrella on top of a seat at the sawmill. Hallucinations

Carry on?
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

willmyers0169

Magicman that look and finish on the flooring is exactly what im going for.  Like Gadrock asked will you elaborate on your surface nailing please?

Mr. Gene i highly value your opinion but you know the old saying "happy wife, happy life"
Machinist, WM LT15 230 JD skidsteer 2010 JD 2955 JD Jonsered chainsaw

WDH

I have had good results drying SYP in my kiln so far, the older the tree, the better. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

The walls and flooring are 4, 6, 8, 10, & 12 inch wide boards used at random.

The Dewalt air gun did it's job and set the nails below the surface.  When the nails are shot in at random the tiny holes disappear.  No filler was used on the flooring.  The nail holes showed up on the whitewashed walls and spackling was used as a filler.

The umbrella on the sawmill is no hallucination, it is real.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

MM,
This is awesome.  Did you use trees under 18" diameter, or larger trees and logs?  Does that umbrella have to say "Mississippi State" on it, or can any umbrella be used?
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Magicman

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on June 10, 2014, 08:58:16 AMThis is awesome.  Did you use trees under 18" diameter, or larger trees and logs?

These were beetle killed Pines that were probably 16" & 24" butts.  One may have been close to 30".  The landowner felled and bucked them, and then the neighbor loaded them.   ;D
QuoteDoes that umbrella have to say "Mississippi State" on it, or can any umbrella be used?
The umbrella probably says "Gimplers".

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

These nice large diameters mean that you will be able to get a lot of nice, well-behaved SYP lumber indeed.

EZland

Umbrella?  I knew I have was not the only one.  I have one ziptied to my EZ jr.  I know a manual sawmill with a umbrella on it.  At least when I am sawing I am shady...... not much good when I am manually loading.  Wife thinks I am nuts. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

WDH

I believe that I am nuts. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Pine can most definitely be used for wide plank flooring.  Just from what I've seen bring down to at least 8% then let it acclimate to the environment before machining.  And as mentioned, plan extra and don't rush, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!