iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I could never say it better

Started by Texas Ranger, March 18, 2003, 01:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

biziedizie

I got a blank page from that link! Did anyone else get the same?

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

Wow. Some read. This guy has tremendous insight. Thanks for the link, Don.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

RavioliKid

Thanks, Don!

That guy really expresses the complexity of the situtation well.

RavioliKid

Frank_Pender

I believe, Rav, that when one lives such reality the woven threads become untangled in such a manner that ones vision is more clear.  He is a very prolific writer of how it was and related well the similarities of our time.  Most often, not until we wear the same moccasins on the similar trail, do we learn of anothers  journey of peril or glory.   Thank You Don, for sharing your find.  I really enjoyed the reading. :P
Frank Pender

OneWithWood

Don, many thanks for the link.  The author lays out the complexities very well.  I shudder to think about the possibilities he raises in his last paragraph.  Unfortunately religion has been at the root of many a devastating war.  
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Corley5

That was a good read.  A lot of "food for thought" in it.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

IndyIan

That was a great article, made many good points from someone who's been through this before.

The only things I don't agree with is that Islam is by definition non-democratic, and that all of Islam is out to destroy the western world.  There are countries with muslim majorities with democratic governments.  Turkey is one of them.  

I'm no expert in the Muslim faith but I believe there is not much difference between it and christianity.  There are extreme interpretations of both faiths but I don't think either religion should be judged on them.

What I do believe is that many muslim's feel that islam is threatened by western influences being forced upon them.  
I don't know what the answer is to that.  Personally I find western life ideal and I imagine most of the world given the choice would choose it over strict Islam.  I guess muslim religous leaders know that too, that's why they denounce the west as evil?  

I think what we do have watch for as the western world is not to disrespect people's choice of religion...  I think that would make support for extremist islam groups disappear from the average muslim.  They are probably just like you or me, just want to go about our daily lives without fear of losing our loved ones or our culture, I'm sure they couldn't care less about what the western world was doing if it didn't affect them but we do affect them.  

I don't really understand the mechanisms that the global economy is being spread with or why that seems to get some muslims all riled up.  Maybe the concepts of individuality and materialism they see in our culture is as disturbing as slavery and dictatorship is to us?  Hence some will fight by any means they have againist us just as we would if another nation or culture tried to force beliefs on us?  

I guess this is probably not the typical place to learn about islam and world issues but going to a forum of 'experts' probably wouldn't be better.

Anyways, I hope the troops on the ground can kick ass without killing many civilians.  I applaud Bush for following through with what he thinks is right even if I don't totally agree war is the best option to protect the US adn the west.

Bud Man

Many Thanks Don --Powerful piece !  The Wall St. Journal has some remarkable writers !  Makes you appreciate Freedom of speech even though I'm relegated to just reading others in most cases !  
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Thank You Sponsors!