iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grapple Trailer

Started by Singlemalt, November 24, 2010, 02:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Singlemalt

I'm considering buying the Wallenstein Timber Talon Log Grapple Trailer, if the wife says yes.

Can anyone out there share their experiences, opinions of this unit?

It looks like it has a lot of potential and would be ideal for bush trails.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

nas

I don't know about the log trailer, but everything I have seen from Wallenstein is very well built.  I have a skidding winch and wood chipper and have had no problems with either.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Singlemalt

Thanks for the input.

I have a Wallenstein FX 90 and am well satisfied with it. I expect the trailer would be the same but would like a look at one and no dealers stock them. (understandable)

Have looked for someone who owns one or perhaps a used one but with no luck.
Real life shows you things the pictures don't.

May have to make a trip to St Clement.

Ironwood

I saw one at the Paul Bunyan show, looked fine, light, but fine,

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

JDeere

That looks like a nice unit. Have you tried calling Wallenstein and asking for a name of a customer that has one you can look at? There must be somebody within a reasonable drive that has one.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

woodmills1

check out payeur.com to see if they have a same priced trailer with more lift
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

bill m

Yes, you should check out Payeur.com. I am real happy with my Metavic.

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Singlemalt

Thanks for the heads up on Metavic. Never heard of them until now.

Initially thought the trailer would stand my tractor on end but have checked their models and think the 13 RF model would work well with the M 95 loader.
Flat bottom and additional options that are attractive.
It also has a slightly bigger capacity.

Have contacted the sales force and will see where that leads.

Thanks again.

Ed_K

I use a flex 380 majaco,it's has a moving axel so you can balance the load to relieve some of the weight on the tractor,only draw back is it's low to the ground so you can't go thru low spots without pulling the load off. Need at least two 8' layers on the bottom to get around that. It's hauled 800 cords of 10.8' logs.Expect to replace the bunks when hauling large logs when they get droped on the tops of the pipes  ;D .
Ed K

woodmills1

who is your salesman?

I have an older metavic that I am way happy with

was also gonna go metavic wheeler for the road but their build time sent me to blue ox
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Singlemalt

The email went to Steve Turcotte but no reply as yet. Thought I saw something that said he was their Ontario rep. but can't find it now. will call then next week if I still haven't heard.

Looked at Anderson also. The options, versatility is amazing.

Dave_

Just curious, what is the price range of these type trailers?

treefarmer87

There is a prentice 90 forwarding trailer on machinerytrader.com for about $4000
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

bill m

Quote from: Dave_ on November 27, 2010, 01:10:43 PM
When I bought mine about 4 years ago it was almost 30 thousand. The hydraulic drive assist option was almost 10.

woodmills1

I bought my kioti lk3054 and metavic 12/am10 for 15k in 2002

got back from payeur 10k for the tractor with their forstry package 10k with broken clutch disk
bought a dk40se from them and kept the older loader as it works just fine.

woods work not road

treefarmer87

is there a woods/highway trailer?
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

woodmills1

the highway trailers are not good for woods work, too wide and too low

the woods trailers can go over the road, but to my knowledge, they do not have lights, brakes, or road style suspension.  My woods metavic has a walking beam style piviot arm with 2 large tires on each side

bill m

I don't believe the woods trailer spindles and tires are rated for highway speeds ( above 30 mph ).

Singlemalt

Wallenstein trailer runs $5600 add the grapple and it moves to $7900 add the pump, honda motor and you look at $9450  (cdn) Load capacity 4900#

Metavic M95 (8 foot logs) complete is $11475 and the 1150/15RF (16 foot logs)
is $13975 (cdn) Load capacity 5950# and 10000#

There are a considerable number of options available for the Metavic that make it potentially more versitile. Just depends on what you want and any future plans.  The extra length and width for the 1150/15RF could be an issue on some established bush trails.

Metavic do make road ready trailers. These two models appear to be bush trailers with limited road use. They even have a horse drawn model. Worth a trip to their web site.

woodmills1

payeur.com

they distribute the metavic line

northwoods1

Quote from: bill m on November 27, 2010, 07:25:41 PM
When I bought mine about 4 years ago it was almost 30 thousand. The hydraulic drive assist option was almost 10.

Nice looking pile of logs did you cut and skid all that? I'm wondering about the 30k for that trailer... a person could buy a nice skidder for that kind of money. Much bigger loader w/better reach, enclosed cab that is safe and warm, blade on the front for pushing things, maneuverability is far better than a tractor trailer arrangement, better on any type of hills for sure, could go on & on, and on. If a trailer like that is so expensive than what are the advantages of it? You could find a decent used shortwood skidder for 10k around these parts that would do a lot more than a farm tractor/trailer arrangement like that. And that isn't figuring cost of tractor to pull it around. 30k could buy a person a nice older roof mount franklin w/cummins power and the nice thing about good older skidders is u can use them and always get your money back out of them.

Singlemalt

Depending on your options & taxes 30K is very possible.
The traction trailer or the articulating trailer wouldn't come cheap.
Add the backhoe, winch and dump wagon features and you've spent some money.

The unit Dave has appears to have the traction option.

northwoods1

Quote from: Singlemalt on December 02, 2010, 08:52:51 AM
Depending on your options & taxes 30K is very possible.
The traction trailer or the articulating trailer wouldn't come cheap.
Add the backhoe, winch and dump wagon features and you've spent some money.

The unit Dave has appears to have the traction option.

Oh oh oh I see that unit is kind of a versatile thing made for more than just use as a skidding dray? that makes more sense to me.

bill m

Quote from: northwoods1 on December 02, 2010, 06:20:36 AM
Quote from: bill m on November 27, 2010, 07:25:41 PM

Nice looking pile of logs did you cut and skid all that? I'm wondering about the 30k for that trailer... a person could buy a nice skidder for that kind of money. Much bigger loader w/better reach, enclosed cab that is safe and warm, blade on the front for pushing things, maneuverability is far better than a tractor trailer arrangement, better on any type of hills for sure, could go on & on, and on. If a trailer like that is so expensive than what are the advantages of it? You could find a decent used shortwood skidder for 10k around these parts that would do a lot more than a farm tractor/trailer arrangement like that. And that isn't figuring cost of tractor to pull it around. 30k could buy a person a nice older roof mount franklin w/cummins power and the nice thing about good older skidders is u can use them and always get your money back out of them.
Yes, That was last winters production. 30k will buy a nice skidder not a new one. Advantages for me are repairs nonexistent so far, easy to move on a 5 ton trailer, fuel consumption per week is about 10 gal., full load of 12 ft. logs is 1k bd. ft., easy to maneuver between trees that a forwarder could not. tractor with bucket or forks that can be used for other jobs not just logging. I could go on and on. With my low overhead I don't need to cut 10 to 15k feet a day just to pay the bills and make a living. I don't buy standing timber or bid on jobs. Foresters just call me with jobs to cut and pay me by the thousand to get the wood on the landing and I have about 3 years of work ahead of me right now. I also make enough to be able to take 2 or 3 months vacation every summer so tell me , why would I want a skidder?

treefarmer87

you couldnt ask for any better :) thats great
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!